won't boot to safe mode

Hi,

I got a computer from a friend who was installing software on a very slow compaq D220 MT, Win Xp Pro sp?, P4 2.8 and only had 256mb ram, I have since upgraded the ram to 1.5mb. he stopped the upgrade of the software, because it was "too slow", while it was installing. It is some sort of Auto body management software that he receives CD-Rom upgrades every month and hadn't upgraded since November of 2008. He then reatarted his computer and decided to try again with the same results and corrective actions. However the computer wouldn't restart the second time because he stated "It couldn't find a system32\hal.dll flie. He asked the computer tech neighbor kid to help and together they ran the HP version of the XP operating system and tried to do a system restore. They got the machine to find the missing dll file, but now the machine is in a constant reboot mode.

When booting form Safe mode...it gets to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)Windows\system32\drivers\ndis.sys and then reboots.

When booting from Safe mode with command prompt...it gets to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)Windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

When booting from Safe mode with networking...it gets to multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)Windows\system32\drivers\mup.sys

computer will auto reboot when last known good config and start windows normally are choosen.

I do not have the installation disk they used for the restore.

Any suggestions on how I can boot this machine to safe mode?