Anne__Burns

My Hosts File Is Not Working

Yes the registry query confirms that the hosts file is being read from the correct location and no one has changed it.  C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc

Go ahead and do the factory reset then you'll need to ping  www.match.com again as well as possibly doing the NSLOOKUP query as before to confirm you're still getting DNS from your ISP

@# 101-

I pressed the reset button on my router and spent the last 1 1/2 hours trying to make an internet connection. Don't ask!!!

@# 102-

See attachments.

post-147861-0-31041200-1398151804_thumb.

post-147861-0-71162400-1398151810_thumb.

Okay.  Please delete your file  C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts

We'll put it back later but we need to get rid of it to continue to track this issue down.

Once that file has been deleted please restart the computer and ping WWW.MATCH.COM again and post back the results

Please see attached. Do I delete one file or all of them?

post-147861-0-15888100-1398203078_thumb.

Start an elevated admin command prompt as before by right clicking over CMD.EXE and choose "Run as administrator"  then type the following.

DEL C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\host*.*   /Q /F

Then restart the computer again.

Hello Ron,

What happened to the pups? (smile)

I restarted the computer and had to call my service provider to help me get connected to the web again. I went to a couple of sites and I see that I don't have Hosts at all. Please save me!  I'm drowning in banner and pop-up ads!!!!! :rolleyes:

Also, see attached.

post-147861-0-85710400-1398227314_thumb.

Btw, I can now get to the website Match,com.

to interject until someone else responds ...

good deal on being able to connect to the previously "locked out" website .

the problem seems to be as was suspected .

(contrary to my grandmother's saying , sometimes ya gotta throw the baby out with the bathwater)

Please download the following file and save it to your computer.  Then quit your browser and find the file and right click on it and select "Run as administrator" and it should install the new hosts file for you with the entries for match.com, www.match.com, and a couple of other static images from match.com removed from the hosts file.

Then restart your computer and it should now start blocking sites again but allow www.match.com

New Hosts File Installer 03-21-2014

Thanks

Before I run the file I need to run a message through you. See attached.

post-147861-0-69695400-1398274392_thumb.

It is an 1"unsigned" file but it is safe. 

---

1.  Unsigned meaning it does not have a Publisher's Certificate embedded within it.

Hello, For some reason the program will not load to my machine. What to do?

Try this copy; < redacted >

It is the same file that was created by Firefox.  I offered to host it for him on my site as an alternative, before Rom hosted it on his site.

NOTE:  I tested it on my PC.  I have Avira AntiVir which blocked the file from being created so I had to temporarily disable AntiVir to allow it to be created and once I did, it was saved and was available so I know it works.

NO Please stop.  That hosts file is the original that has www.match.com and match.com blocked.  I'll look at the file again later today when I have time.  It may be a 64-bit file that I created.

Hello,

Just so you know, for some reason, I am not getting inundated with pop-ups and banners. I went to System32,drivers, etc. and found Hosts files still there. Of course the text document was not there but the others are. Please see attached.

Anne

post-147861-0-95144100-1398663653_thumb.

Hello Ron,

Yes. I can access www.match.com. I thought we deleted the text file that runs the program. Would you please tell me how Hosts is running without the text file?

By the way, I like my new title. Imagine that; I'm a bonafide topic starter :). I intend to live up to that.

Anne :D

The file with .txt on the end does nothing. Windows is looking for the file hosts without any extension by default.

So as you should now be all set I'll go ahead and close this topic Anne and wish you the best