Anne__Burns

My Hosts File Is Not Working

Please see attached.

post-147861-0-35321100-1397896354_thumb.

post-147861-0-40317500-1397896363_thumb.

I did it as well just to see what happens on my end.

The page itself loads fine for me, but running those two commands in post 76 gives me the same results as Anne.  4 pings with RTO, and a tracert that times out for every hop after hop 8.

I can post the screenshots if need be, but I have a feeling Ron is seeing much the same thing.

See attached. For some reason the word match looks like natch even though I know I copied and pasted the word Match. 

post-147861-0-72602900-1397947838_thumb.

Well only your router or hosts file or special software can redirect like that.

Please run the following and post back the log.

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

127.0.0.1 is the IP Loopback address which points to the local PC.

The address has been poisoned either through a etc/hosts file negation or a DNS server.

Before I run that program I need some clarification regarding the settings. At the List Devices line, there are three buttons. Do I select 'Only Problems'?

post-147861-0-06086500-1397954597_thumb.

Wow! Saying that MiniToolBox is a thorough application is an understatement. I'm glad I have two computers because I have been running it all night and through to today with no signs of it stopping at over 385,000 (objects?).  

If I had to guess it probably has to do with that large hosts file you have... I say let it run as long as it seems to be making progress....

Okay that does not show any persistent routes that would be rerouting www.match.com

Please ping www.match.com again now and let us know what it shows.

Hello, See attachment.

post-147861-0-26593300-1398101771_thumb.

Please tell me what to do.

Most routers have a procedure that allows you to reset the settings on the router, but it can vary from router to router.  The best way to be sure is for you to tell us your router version and someone will get the correct instructions for you.

Please don't introduce a new hosts file until the current issue is resolved.  At this time as long as what you're reporting is true the hosts file is not the cause.  Though it could be that the hosts file is being redirected to be called from somewhere else as discussed with David. 

Please open a CMD.EXE prompt as before and type the following exactly and post back the results.

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters"

Also let us know the MFG name and model number for your router.

Ron, the command you gave me above (# 95) ends in a quotation mark. Was that intentional?

My router is a Motorola model number SB5101U

Since Ron is not here, I need to ask you something really quickly  - is your computer connected directly to that device by 1 single cable?  if not, then that is not the correct device - and if it is, you have no router - that is a cable modem.

As for the quotation mark, yes, there is one at the beginning of the path.

Hello John, You are right. It is a cable modem (Sorry). I also have a Ethernet (?) to wirelessly connect my laptop.

See attached results from the command prompt from entry # 95.

post-147861-0-71580600-1398133088_thumb.

post-147861-0-15861400-1398133097_thumb.

The second box is the actual router, I believe - that is the one that Ron needs the info on.

Okay John, It is a Cisco Linksys E900

From the Linksys website:

3. How do I reset the Linksys Wi-Fi Router, E900 to factory defaults? 

There are two (2) ways to reset the Linksys Wi-Fi Router, E900 router to factory defaults:

• Hardware Reset – Press and hold the Reset button located at the bottom of the router for approximately five (5) seconds then release.
  • Software Reset – Access the router's web-based setup page, go to Administration tab > Factory Defaults sub-tab, click the Restore Factory Defaults button. 

NOTE:  To learn how to access the router’s web-based setup page, click here.

I would use the hardware method as that is a lot easier to do.

Post back when you have done so, I suspect Ron will have you perform some of those tests from before again.