Anne__Burns

My Hosts File Is Not Working

You're welcome.  Glad you've gotten your system back in working order.

Hello,

Just when I thought I was finished with this message thread, I have to come back.

Since I reinstalled my Host file and disabled the DNS I noticed that certain websites and pages are not being displayed (see attached). What to do?

Anne 

post-147861-0-30109200-1397198010_thumb.

That site used to be owned by Atlas Solutions but is now apparently owned by Microsoft.  This is a site used for tracking and not a site you want loaded anyways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atdmt

That site is also included in the hosts file you just installed so it's doing its job and blocking that site.

However that site does not run a Web server so even if you did not have this hosts file it would not load in a browser.

I was afraid you would say something along those lines (sigh). I guess I will have to use my laptop for a website that I have absolutely no access to with my desktop. :rolleyes:

You can edit the hosts file and remove any site in there you want to visit and it will then let you visit.

Just open it with notepad and look for the site name, remove it and save the file.

Ron, would you please give me a brief step by step to accomplish that?

Hello Firefox,

I got to the point of finding and copying the website I want to paste under Trusted Hosts. I paste the website there, I click on file and save and get an access denied. Earlier, I was not given the option of opening Notepad as an administrator. What to do?

Anne

You have to do it with notepad opened as an administrator...

Click on the Orb

In the search file type notepad --- Do NOT hit enter

once notepad appears in the search filed listed in the list Right Click on it and select Run As Administrator

I did open Notepad as administrator but it was a blank pad. I went to open Host in Notepad and I still couldn't save the change.

Attached is the list of files I get after I search (paste does not work for me here) with the file %systemroot%\sysrem32\\drivers\etc\. There seems to be too many files.  

post-147861-0-84039000-1397262235_thumb.

Btw, I tried the YouTube method and it was easier to follow using my laptop to go slowly from one step to another. I did manage to save the website to the Host file under Trusted Hosts but I still don't have access to the website. I erased part of the address for privacy purposes. See Attached. 

post-147861-0-32818000-1397265535_thumb.

Hello,

I hope someone get's back to me soon to tell me, if need be, that I might have to reinstall the Host program to my machine.

Anne

Hello,

Why has no one come around to this thread? If I did something wrong, please tell me.

Anne

Anne__Burns, you have got to be patient, we all have lives outside this forum, especially during the weekends... you just have to be patient and wait till someone comes around...

OK, lets try a different approach.....

Copy the hosts. file from your C:\Windows\System32\Drives\etc folder to your Desktop. Once you have copied the hosts. file to your desktop do any editing you want to the file you copied on the desktop (using notepad).

Once you have edited to your liking save the file (using notepad) on the desktop. Now copy the hosts. file from the desktop back to the original location of C:\Windows\System32\Drives\etc and over write the file there.

Hello Firefox,

I apologize for not being more patient. I tried both methods you suggested in #33 and I was almost able to do it as you can see in my attachments after that.

I have a very important question to ask. If I display my IP address from that machine, does that put it in danger? I have the desktop shut down until I hear from you on that.

I am very concerned that I really screwed up the Host folder with all of the extra files I made in it. Perhaps I should reinstall the program? Btw, I did a MB scan which came up clean but I noticed that PUPs are still in the quarantine part of the program.

Sign me,

Sorry in Seattle :unsure:

the PUPS will be in the folder until they either "time out" or are manually deleted .

as for your other question , i have not been following this thread too closely , so i have nothing constructive to input .

Hello CWB,

Thanks for the heads up about the PUPs.

Anne

Anne, where are you saying you displayed your IP?  Too many pages to go through...

as for the items in your quarantine, you can just leave them there, as they are harmless to your computer as long as they are in the quarantine folder.  You can leave them there for a couple of weeks to make sure they were not false positives or needed files.  If after a couple weeks you know you did not need them, then you can empty/delete the quarantined items.

@ #39. Is  that my IP address in the Host file? I'm concerned about how much I fooled around with the program over the course of this thread. Should I consider reinstalling the program?

Post #39 does not have any IP address that points directly to you or your computer.  The IP address of 127.0.0.1 is a loopback ip and is used by millions of computers around the world.  No worries...

Phew! No worries is good. To save you from going back, I will add the attachments I pasted to a previous post. I have too many Host files now. When I open what I think is the correct one I see that the website I wanted to go is under the Trusted Hosts list. I still can't open the website. Should I consider reinstalling the program?.  

post-147861-0-72717000-1397450435_thumb.

post-147861-0-35345100-1397450474_thumb.

Hello Ron,

I Changed to 'show hidden files'.

Anne