My Hosts File Is Not Working

Hello,

HP desktop DC5800, Windows 7, 32 bit, IE 11.

I recently had to do some serious machine cleaning and, in the process, my Hosts file was uninstalled. I did the Microsoft Fixit thing and I am still getting plenty of banners and pop-ups. What to do? 

Anne

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Ron,

It's been a long time since I had to do anything with the Host program. I downloaded and unzipped it to my machine. How do I get the program to working for me?

Anne

• Root Admin

Extract the contents of hosts.zip to a folder on your hard disk. Locate the file named hosts.txt which you just extracted and rename it to HOSTS with no .TXT extension. Copy the renamed HOSTS file to the following location.

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\

Overwrite any file currently there.

Here is how. Ron I can help with the show hidden files. First got to computer. Then click organize. View. Select view hidden files, folders, and drives. Also make sure you have unhide extension for known file types.

Anne__Burns just use the instructions provided by Ron as this is the correct way to do what you need to do...

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\

How to show hidden files on Windows 7

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/show-hidden-files-in-windows-7/

Braedog3 thanks for trying to help, but in this case your instructions are not warranted or for that matter correct.  Once you have someone from staff (as Ron is) there is no need to reply any further, especially if the answer has already been given.  Thanks for understanding.... 

• Root Admin

It doesn't really matter Anne.  In fact depending on what software you use to open zip files you can copy the file from inside the zip and then browse to the folder location C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\  and paste it there and overwrite the one that is there now.

• Root Admin

No.  Did you download the file as requested from the website ?  This link here:  http://www.montanamenagerie.org/hostsfile/hosts.zip

You save that to your hard drive.  Then you go find it and open the file "hosts.zip" and copy the file "hosts" inside to this folder:  C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc

Then you restart the computer and all should be working again.

@ #13

When I use the Host link and go to 'save as' I see the folder Host there. When I go there I don't see any Host folders. This is getting a bit confusing for me. Ron, please show me from start to finish what to do at this point. I am going in circles and don't want to mess up my hard drive.

Anne

• Root Admin

Thanks go out to Firefox for quickly writing an installer for this. 

Please download the following file to your computer.  Pay attention to where you save it as you'll need to find it. 

After you download the file go find it and right click over it and choose "Run as administrator" and it should automatically replace the hosts file for you.

hp-hosts host file installer

Once that has completed then restart your computer and let me know if the ads have slowed down or stopped now.

Don't ask!!! I was in deep kimchee for awhile.

When I restarted I couldn't open any windows at all. I had to do a system restore and put essential updates back on my machine.

I used the link in #16 and saved to my desktop. I opened it as administrator to go to my hard drive. I restarted and couldn't open any windows at all. At one point I rebooted to try to repair but it didn't work. What did I do wrong?

• Root Admin

Firefox found a self extracting file to automatically install it. 

However I'm not really sure what's going on here so I went ahead and ran it on my own computer and it caused all sorts of problems for me too. 

For now please don't use or reinstall that file and glad you were smart enough to get your computer working again on your own.'

Let me check with one of the authors from hp-hosts and ask him what the deal is with that file and I'll get back to you.

Thanks