Scan screen pops up several times a day & steals focus

Hi, my platform is Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit on a touchscreen convertible ultrabook with Core i7 processor, 8 GB RAM and 1 TB SSD. I hae a licensed version 2 of MBAM. All updates have been applied to the OS and MBAM.

Problem is since Version 2 came out I keep getting the main screen of MBAM pop up and stealing focus several times a day. I NEVER want this screen to pup up, not ever unless I tell it to. The notifications in the corner were all I had and needed under earlier releases and they didn't steal focus, but this new behaviour really stinks. I go to click on something and MBAM pops up out of the blue and my click goes into that instead. it's worse than a distraction. It's counterproductive and interferes with my work. I never want this screen (never got it under the earlier versions of MBAM and I've been using it for years).

Please help me get it to go away. Turning notifications off didn't do it. It still pops up the main window out of the blue and tells me its starting a scan. So what! I only wanna be disturbed if it finds some nasties.

Hope there's a solution for this so I don't have to remove it to stop this new nuisance-ware.

Hello and welcome: :)

Yes, the whole "notifications" piece is being refined in 2.0.

This includes scans popping up.

In fact, this issue was already addressed with latest update, 2.0.1, released last week

Issues Fixed:

1. All scheduled scans should now run without popping up the main UI so that users are not interrupted

(Not everyone likes the lack of control about this - some users want to see the scheduled scans, as a visual reassurance. ;) )

Have you tried updating to 2.0.1 (and then a reboot)?

More info here: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Update to 2.0.1

Please let us know if this resolves your issue,

daledoc1

Hello and welcome: :)

Yes, the whole "notifications" piece is being refined in 2.0.

This includes scans popping up.

In fact, this issue was already addressed with latest update, 2.0.1, released last week

(Not everyone likes the lack of control about this - some users want to see the scheduled scans, as a visual reassurance. ;) )

Have you tried updating to 2.0.1 (and then a reboot)?

More info here: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Update to 2.0.1

Please let us know if this resolves your issue,

daledoc1

Thanks for the quick reply (on a sunday too!), but that doesn't do it. Here's my version info:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.1.1004

© Malwarebytes Corporation. All rights reserved.

Build Date: 4/04/2014

The problem is the dashboard itself popping up and stealing focus whenever it wants to start a scan, which seems to be several times a day regardless of the settings. If some people want to see it, that's fine for them, give them an option to enable it. :) I don't need the reassurance because I can always check the logs or dashboard/Scan page itself to see when the last scan was run.

Hi:

OK, thanks for the feedback.

Well, TBH, I am still running 1.75 here and I am on Win7/x64, anyway, so it might be "apples and oranges".

What you describe does not sound like normal expected behavior, based on the recent 2.0.1 changelog.

(Unless there is something wonky about your scheduled tasks...)

>>>I assume you did reboot the computer after upgrading to 2.0.1????

If that didn't resolve it, the first step in this instance is usually to try a clean reinstall.

This often resolves minor issues: MBAM Clean Removal Process

Be sure to reboot when prompted.

NOTE: If you have MBAM 2.xx self-protection (SP) enabled, please disable it before running the mbam-clean utility.

Otherwise, we may need to wait for one of the staff or experts to help sort this out.

Thanks for your patience,

daledoc1

Thanks again. Yes I'd rebooted the PC after the install. Based on your comments, I've now done an uninstall and clean of MBAM, rebooted, reinstalled the current edition (same version I had) and refreshed the definitions, and rebooted again. Strangely it remembered my license codes, so the "clean"er wasn't all that thorough. I've left all the settings at default and ran the "first" scan ok. We'll see how well it behaves over the next 48 hours. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post back here when I know either way.

Paul

Hi:

Glad it's working OK now. :)

Thanks for the followup.

I'm surprised any program/license data were retained after running the mbam-clean utility, so...

Just curious:

1)  Was the version of mbam-clean that you used the new version (2.0.2.0) downloaded from here?

2) Did you by any chance have MBAM 2.x Self-Protection (SP) enabled when you ran mbam-clean?

Thanks for your help,

daledoc1

Hi:

Glad it's working OK now. :)

Thanks for the followup.

I'm surprised any program data were retained after running the mbam-clean utility, so...

Just curious:

1)  Was the version of mbam-clean that you used the new version (2.0.2.0) downloaded from here?

2) Did you by any chance have MBAM 2.x Self-Protection (SP) enabled when you ran mbam-clean?

Thanks for your help,

daledoc1

Hi, so far over 12 hours I haven't had the dashboard pup up by itself and steal focus since I did the Clean utility process. So thanks for that tip. Looks like a go-er! I installed version 2.0.1.1004 which was current at the time as far as I could tell and it still hasn't prompted me to install Version 2.0.2.0. Also, I had the Self-Protection disabled when I ran the MBAM clean process.

Cheers.

Paul

Hi, sorry for confusion:

2.0.2.0 refers to the version of mbam-clean.exe, not MBAM version.

It, too, was recently updated.

I am trying to determine why your license data were retained after you ran the removal tool.

Normally, if one runs mbam-clean and reboots the computer, the license data are removed.

(Unless there has been a change to the way mbam-clean works, with the recent version updates to the utility. In which case, I will have been mistaken.)

daledoc1

Ok I'm with you now. it's 1 am here so I'm a little slow :) I used mbam-clean-2.0.2.0 from the link in your earlier post.

I was just curious because the clean instructions said the license data would be lost but it was in fact retained (everything else was lost). I figured maybe the clean tool was based on V1 of MBAM, not V2. Just a thought.

Ok I'm with you now. it's 1 am here so I'm a little slow :) I used mbam-clean-2.0.2.0 from the link in your earlier post.

I was just curious because the clean instructions said the license data would be lost but it was in fact retained (everything else was lost). I figured maybe the clean tool was based on V1 of MBAM, not V2. Just a thought.

And yes, I did reboot the computer after running it too.

• Root Admin

Unless there were some type of permissions issue or other security software blocking it then the mbam-clean tool would have removed the license.  At this point in time though it really doesn't matter and not much we can do after the fact for this.  If the program is now working properly for you that's the important thing.

Unless there were some type of permissions issue or other security software blocking it then the mbam-clean tool would have removed the license.  At this point in time though it really doesn't matter and not much we can do after the fact for this.  If the program is now working properly for you that's the important thing.

Thanks for the feedback Ron. I was running the cleanup from a Win 8.1 Admin-level account, there were no messages during the clean process to say that there was anything blocking anything, and there were no security popups from Symantec Endpoint Protection V12.1.4013.4013, which was disabled during the process anyway. Does the clean tool create a log file anywhere that I can send you or post here (if it's not confidential)? Please advise.

I can confirm it's now been behaving itself for about 24 hours, so it's looking more promising that it's solved now, so that I'll call my problem fixed. Thanks. And special thanks to daledoc 1 for all his/her help in getting there.

Paul