OK to turn off Real Time Protection to Install Program then Scan?

General procedure question, for using Malwarebytes 2.0 premium:

I use FreeFileSync to backup data files.  FreeFileSync wanted to upgrade to the newest version, so I downloaded it.  When I went to install it, Malwarebytes blocked it with a PUP warning, preventing the install.  Clicking the Allow button did not allow me to install the upgrade.  Since FreeFileSync appears to have a good rating (and I use it daily), I turned off Malwarebytes Real Time Protection and installed the upgrade.

I then turned Malwarebytes Real Time Protection back on.  I then ran a scan.  It found 4 PUP's (Open Candy).  I let Malwarebytes quarantine the 4 PUP's.  FreeFileSync upgrade works as it is suppose to... NOTE: during the install, there was NO WAY to decline the Open Candy PUP's -- I am always very careful to read first, then click later...

My basic "best-practices" question is whether what I did was ok?  Or is there a better way to install a known (reasonably) safe program or update that contains PUP's (according to Malwarebytes 2.0)?  I would hate to not upgrade (FreeFileSync in this case) because of the PUP's, but then again, I don't want something installed that I can't clean up after the fact either...

Suggestions for a future repeat of this issue???                Sorry if this is too basic of a procedural question...  :blush:

I would have used the portable version of FreeFileSync, as it doesn't require administrative rights it can't install the PUP propperly (if it tries to do so at all).

http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/freefilesync-portable

You could of course switch to the competition. (Allway Sync, SyncBack, Synkron, File Synchroniser) Whether it's worth the trouble is up to you.

So I would start with trying to avoid installing PUP's by using different installers/software. But if that's not an option, I would temporary change the settings about how MBAM should treat PUP's (detection and protection settings) instead of turning off the realtime protection.

As a little note: the site below seems to indicate that freefilesync doesn't install PUP's, merely shows ads during installation. Are you sure you didn't have the PUP's before the installation?

http://sourceforge.net/p/freefilesync/discussion/open-discussion/thread/99bb4e37/

Further I have little to comment, sometimes there is no neat way and you'll have to do it the dirty way. I hope this gives you some ideas for the next time.

If you have any questions, please post & ask.

Thanks Durew,

Use to have Allway Sync (paid version) for years, but switched to FreeFileSync with new Windows 7 Prof since it seemed to have glitches...

Anyways, I only turned off the Real Time Protection to do the actual install -- not when I did the download... if that makes any difference.

Here is a screen shot of the Quarantine History.  You will note that the PUP's appeared at the exact same time as the download, so I am as sure as I can be that they came with the installer for FreeFileSync.  If this helps, the download link came directly from their website and pointed to Sourceforge.net

post-159361-0-04161300-1396731119_thumb.

So is it still all right to TEMPORARILY turn off Real Time Protection for the installation (not download process)?  I am not sure how to temporarily change the settings about how MBAM should treat PUP's (detection and protection settings).

Thanks again for the comments...  It helps.

Well I for one would not have installed it, nor would I have disabled the protection just to install it.  Right now the installer only had 4 PUP with it as you said, but what's to keep them on the next update to have more than those 4 and include conduit with it or even worst, some browser hijackers or even a rootkit.

I would find an alternative program, one that does not have the PUP, that does the same thing...

Its up to you as its your computer, but that's how I feel about it.