RubbeR DuckY

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Update to 2.0.1

But a lot of people were saying the same about Windows XP --> Vista / 7.  The UI was not what they wanted, etc. etc., give them back the old style everything, etc. etc.  The outcry was so public that now, as of last month, users are scrambling to protect their systems b/c they want an antiquated interface over better security. 

Plus, your (and other people's) analogy here is not quite right.  The OS UI in Win 8 is something that a Win8 user has to deal with on a daily basis, hourly basis, even from minute to minute.  The MBAM interface is not meant to be stared at for hours on end.  If you are interacting with the MBAM UI as much as you are with your OS UI (other than your initial install of the 2.xx series), then there is a serious problem.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a product that works as it should, and keeps up with the times, and not worry about the UI, particularly when I don't spend more than a few scant minutes per day (maximum) looking at it.

Finally, I believe that the UI is here to stay, and while it is great that everyone has an opinion on it whether it is good or it is not good or whatever, I think the bigger issue here is the product itself and ironing out any performance issues for a product that will be a "Set it and forget it" methodology employed for premium users and a "use infrequently, around once a week to once a month" for non premium users.

On the UI :

Agreed, that you should seldom have to look at MBAM's UI. And I could learn to live with it, from what I've seen. The MBAM team has seen fit to tone the 2.x UI from its initial release as a result of customer reactions.

However, I'm a fan of the 1.75 look because to me it echoes the product's performance. It's not necessarily the colors, although they suit me, it's their subdued, minimal appearance. Form follows function.

Imagine if someone came to this forum and instead of its current skin (I assume we all see the same one) they see bright yellows, reds, or even flashing ads or popups. If it were me, my spidey sense would be tingling. I just might not bother to take the time to find out what MBAM was all about. The current skin represents what this forum is - get it done competence.

Not a perfect analogy, but close enough.

There's a lot of discussion about why people don't like the GUI, people not looking at the GUI all day etc..

Although it is true that no-one looks at the GUI all day, there are aspects of the user interface which do have an ongoing impact, in particular notifications. I do prefer the older GUI, but the new one - even with its original colours - doesn't bother me much.

What does bother me is loss of granularity of control, especially of notifications. Put that back the way it was, and I'd be happy. For example, I want to to be told if updates failed, but I don't want to be told when they work. I want to MBAM (or pretty much any other program) to fade into the background unless it has something really important to say. 1.75 does that, 2.xx does not - yet.

Hi:

Welcome.

What does bother me is loss of granularity of control, especially of notifications. Put that back the way it was, and I'd be happy. For example, I want to to be told if updates failed, but I don't want to be told when they work. I want to MBAM (or pretty much any other program) to fade into the background unless it has something really important to say. 1.75 does that, 2.xx does not - yet.

Have no fear!

More granular control of notifications is on the list for a future release:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=147044#entry821528

We'll have to wait for staff for a status update or ETA on that. ;)

HTH,

daledoc1

Finally, I believe that the UI is here to stay, and while it is great that everyone has an opinion on it whether it is good or it is not good or whatever, I think the bigger issue here is the product itself and ironing out any performance issues for a product that will be a "Set it and forget it" methodology employed for premium users and a "use infrequently, around once a week to once a month" for non premium users.

I really hope that you're wrong about that.  Just because a product is used infrequently doesn't mean it is exempt from proper UI/UX design.  In fact, I'd say that it's even more important for software used infrequently.  When you only use software once a month, that software requires a basic level of inituitiveness that is lacking in the most recent iteration of Anti-Malware.

First, let me say that I believe Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is one of the best anti-malware products out there.  I use both free and paid versions, and I'm a huge proponet of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware; however, the UI changes have ultimately affected my opinion (in terms of usability).  In my opinion, the biggest problems with the new UI design are as follows.

1. Undue emphasis.  The Dashboard, Scan, Settings, and History tabs are all given the same "priority."  As a result, they blend together, making the user's next step fuzzy.
    • Settings does not deserve prime placement.  On web sites, you'll usually find a link for Settings tucked away at the top right corner, perhaps represented with a small cog/gear icon.  On mobile devices, settings for most applications are changable after two clicks.  Why?  In most circumstances, settings are set once and left alone.  Settings are not accessed every single time the application/web site is loaded; therefore, the settings panel does not deserve the same emphasis as Scan or Dashboard.
    • The same holds true for History.  We don't need to check History every single time the application is loaded.  A small clock, book, calendar icon would have accomplished the same goal without muddying the interface.
  2. Poor design/pointless Dashboard.  The Dashboard contains four pieces of information--the status of the license for marketing purposes, database version, last scan/scan progress, and the status of real-time protection.  As you switch from Dashboard to Scan to Settings and History, this information is no longer visible.  This limited information could have been presented in a much more intuitive manner, giving the user visibility regardless of the current tab.  For example, ALL of this information could have been relocated to a footer, or split between a header and footer, with clear visual indicators when something is awry (e.g. free license or no real-time protection).

3. Scan options are unclear.  On the Scan screen, the user is given three options--Threat, Custom, and Hyper Scan.  It seems like the idea here was to provide a very simple (perhaps too simple) method for conducting scans for malware.
    • First, there's no indication of what's included in a Threat Scan or Hyper Scan.  The three descriptions provided for each scan come off as very elusive and mysterious.  The Threat Scan claims to "[look] in all the places malware is known to hide."  In short, it states the obvious.  As a user, I don't want to have to think about what these things mean.  I don't want to "trust" that Threat Scan is the best because you say so, I want to know why.
    • Lastly, Threat Scan and Hyper Scan both go directly into the scan with no additional prompts.  On the other hand, Custom Scan brings us to a second screen where we can select the target drives and malware scan types.  It's hard to understand why the Scan process has been divided into two separate steps.  If the Scan screens were combined, it would also allow the user insight into the Threat and Hyper scans (e.g. User clicks Threat Scan, and scan options are selected for review).
  4. I seriously thought Anti-Malware 2.0 was a virus.  When I first loaded up the new version of Anti-Malware, I had a panic attack while I conducted various Google searches into this imposter software.  Lo and behold, it was the real deal.  In general, fake anti-virus software feels cheap.  It's an interesting phenomenon because I think the intent was to bring the Anti-Malware interface up to modern standards.  Instead, the software ended up duping even the most advanced and longstanding users.  That's never a good sign.

I rarely put this much effort into this sort of thing, but in terms of UI/UX, this software really took a turn for the worse.  It's unfortunate because Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is one of the best scanners out there.  I believe there will be users who avoid this software because of the UI.

Although, this may be a positive development because it opens the door for improvements (short-term).  I only hope that Malwarebytes doesn't become complacent, as the new design is severely flawed.  Anyway, just my two cents as a programmer/web developer/designer.

While I agree (for the most part) with your in-depth analysis, I have to point out a few things immediately:

Under #1:

• Settings had a permanent placement on the old UI as well.  Granted it was not in the first 4 tabs, but all of the tabs of 1.75 were evenly spaced across the top, and settings was there and accessible from the main UI.  But, you also have to look a lot closer - there were two more tabs on the main UI (other than settings) that had to do with settings:  The Protection tab (scheduling settings), and the Ignore List tab (self explanatory),   All of these have no been combined into a single tab, called settings, and rightly so.  So, 2 tabs eliminated.  IIRC, this was actually a feature request around when 1.75 was in Beta testing - to consolidate all of the settings into a single location.  Plus, a third tab eliminated, in that the About tab is now also in the Settings panel.
  • History had a placement on the main UI as well, but, similar with the tabs listed above, you had it split into a couple of tabs:  Quarantine tab, and Logs tab.  Another tab eliminated, and one renamed (or, to put it more succinctly, 2 tabs combined into one).
  • The Update tab from the old UI is now a link at the end of the new tabs, My Account for Premium users and dual links for free users.  Another tab eliminated.
  • The More Tools tab has been eliminated completely, unless you count the so-called advertisements for other MB products at the bottom banner.  Another tab eliminated.
  • So, from 9 tabs, 6 tabs  have been completely removed, and 2 more renamed.  Which leads to the new UI, the dashboard, 3 tabs, and links after.
  • See http://cache.filehippo.com/img/ex/1210__malwarebytes2.png for the old 1.75 UI. 

Under #2:

• Pretty sure the status of the license is not for marketing purposes, but to show those who have purchased a license whether it is valid or not.  The current model is now a subscription model as opposed to a lifetime license model, so needing a definitive way to ascertain if the license is valid, about to expire, or has expired is mandatory.  While I agree it could be done differently, you also have to realize that without prominent placement, in order to get some users to actually notice that the license was about to expire / had already expired would require either more popups (which most users area already loathe to see) or else some other method to get users' attention.
  • By all accounts, in all software and websites I've seen, a Dashboard is a one stop quick glance place where all the relevant information is located, and that is what this dashboard is attempting to do - display all the pertinent info.  By your account (and I'm not saying it is wrong, nor disagreeing with you, but restating what you've said), you would like or there to not be a dashboard at all.  Please elucidate if I am wrong here.

Under #3:

• There was no indication i 1,.75 of what the Quick Scan actually scanned either.  The Quick scan of that version is today's Threat Scan.  With a Quick Scan, it also just launched without any other input.  The wording on the 1.75 interface for Quick scan in the 1.75 interface is as follows: "A quick scan utilizes our unique fast scanning technology to scan your system for malicious software."
  • There was a differently worded description for the Full Scan in the 1.75 interface.  It stated "A full scan will scan all files on the selected driver(s).  A quick scan is recommended in most cases."  The Full scan is the Custom scan in the new UI.
  • The Flash scan was available only to Pro registered users, and the same applies to the corresponding Hyper Scan in the new UI.  The text in the old UI is as follows: "A flash scan will analyze memory and autorun objects.  It is only available to our licensed users.
  • As to the renaming, I agree with two of the three renames, and am ambivalent about the third:
    • Renaming Quick Scan to Threat Scan makes sense, b/c although it is provided as a quicker scanning methodology compared to the more in depth Custom scan, it is not jus about being quick - it is about scanning the known locations that threats to our computer safety lie.  It is not about being fast, it is about looking in the right places for threats.
    • Renaming Full scan to Custom scan is appropriate b/c it is not a full scan unless the user selects every single drive installed on their system and enabled every scanning method option as well.  But with everyone's configuration being different, well, on some people's machines it will be a full scan with a single drive and archive, rootkit and advanced heuristics enabled.  On a system like mine, with 2 SSDs and 3 mechanical drives, plus 2 UFDs plugged in at any given moment, it would only be a full scan if I selected all of those devices attached to my machine.  So, calling it a custom scan, which is colloquially associated with additional options that the user must configure (think custom installation for most software, as that is the most appropriate analogy in this case - a non custom installation uses default values and installs with little user input, whereas a custom installation requires the user to at the very least verify the default settings, or, in some cases, actually choose certain settings to allow the installation to continue).  Hence, with the name custom, most users will expect that additional options / inputs be entered before the scan begins.
    • The renaming of the Flash scan to Hyper scan is obviously the one I am ambivalent about.  While the original definition of Flash scan from the old UI may not be applicable (or, more appropriately, only partially applicable) in the new UI, I still think a better name than Hyper could have been picked, but, TBH, I have not really found a much better alternative even from all the ones posted on this very subject back in the Beta threads.

Under #4:

• I cannot disagree with anything you've written there.  I, myself, was not duped, but I was introduced to the new UI well before the average on-Beta-testing user was, so I had plenty of advance warning before the program was doled out to all users live in March.  many other users, both old users and new ones, complained about the exact same thing that you mentioned - that it looked like a fake or an imposter or a hijack or a rogue.

I do appreciate you taking the time to elucidate all of the items you listed above, and I know (not hope, know) that the MB team members are reading all of these posts on how to make the program better.

I think that the fastest thing they could do would be to enable a more subdued, yet still fully functional, UI - kinda like XP modern theme versus XP Classic theme.

Thanks again for your input.

Hi to all, I'm totally new here and in fact only started using Malwarebytes just over a week ago. Was so very pleased with the results that I bought the Premium version and also updated from the version I had last week to the new 2.0.1.1004

Question: The previous version scanned all my Hard Drives, "C, D, E, and X" but the new version only scans drive "C"

Am I missing something ? is there a setting that I need to change ?

I hope someone will be able to point out what it is I need to do to scan all my drives, Thanks - Marhan (new member)

Hold the press !!!!

I've just found the answer to my own questions after reading all of Grabit's reply to the guy who was un-happy about the new UI.

Ok, so I have to say there does seem to be a serious problem with what the new scans have been called, and I'm not happy with what I've just found out as I need to re-scan 7 machines very quickly, because I've scanned all 7 machines using "Threat Scan" thinking this was the FULL scan.

I now discover that "Threat Scan" actually = "Quick Scan" and hence NOT the full deal !!

Also I had thought that "Hyper Scan" was the name given to the Quick scan but now find it's ....... well to be honest I'm not sure what it is.

Lastly I disregarded the option called "Custom Scan" since I expected that it would be difficult to set up, and would only be for real special needs. Now I find the "Custom Scan" is in fact what the rest of the world would call "Full Scan" and simply lets me select which hard drives to scan !!!

Come on people !

Lets not re-invent the wheel, use titles that everyone knows and understands.

Quick Scan is exactly that, and everyone understands it does not cover everything.

Full Scan does what it says, and it scans everything in FULL

I'm not impressed with mucking about with stuff just for the sake of it

Marhan (new member)

ask for help, i disable malicious website protection malwarebytes 2.0.1, suddenly my internet connections are disabled too, even i have excluded some of domain url name. but still i can't open single url even it's google. Please for suggestionS., thx.. :D

Hi, Ricks8:

Welcome.

You wrote:

ask for help, i disable malicious website protection malwarebytes 2.0.1, suddenly my internet connections are disabled too, even i have excluded some of domain url name. but still i can't open single url even it's google. Please for suggestionS., thx.. :D

Please let us know if this resolves your issue.

Thank You,

daledoc1

Thx for replying sir, but none of those worked :(

everytime i enable malicious website protection located in settings, suddenly it blocked my internet connections (even i've excluded some of domain url names).

and if i disabled it, in a minute my internet turns back normally :D

please fix it :D thx..

I don't know if this is a malwarebytes issue or just a general security program issue but if you decide to cancel a scan it seems to take a while to actually cancel it

Is it possible to temporarily disable a scheduled scan? I don't want to delete it (I took some time to configure it); I just want to disable it. (I unsuccessfully checked MBAM help, this forum, and Google for an answer.) TIA.

I'm sorry but no, temporarily disabling a scheduled task is not currently supported. I will submit it as a request though for a possible future program enhancement.

Thank you

I have the new version 2 but do not see any place where I can check for updates. What do I have to do to check for updates?

Hi:

I have the new version 2 but do not see any place where I can check for updates. What do I have to do to check for updates?

OOPS! :)

It looks as if you have an identical post for the same issue in another section of the forum?

Please see the reply in that other post >>HERE<<.

Thanks,

daledoc1

this may not be the correct place but my update left me with a trial version of 2.02.1012.  I am using the free version and the update was done from within MB.  Please help me.  TIA 

The new GUI is horrible and I'm not a fan.  I personally feel it's intrusive with the huge notification window.  I understand that people like the new GUI, but please add an option to run "classic" GUI for those who don't.   

If I would have downloaded the current version and never purchased the earlier version I would have quickly removed it from my computer.  

Hi, Sinster:

Welcome back.

I spotted and replied to your identical post in another section of the forum here. :)

Thanks very much for your feedback,

P.S. MBAM Consumer is now up to version 2.0.2.1012, which was released last week. So, this announcement topic for version 2.0.1 is no longer "current".  The mod team may relocate this post to the current "News" thread here. ;)

Hi, swats123:

this may not be the correct place but my update left me with a trial version of 2.02.1012.  I am using the free version and the update was done from within MB.  Please help me.  TIA 

Yes, a 14-day trial of MBAM 2.0 PREMIUM with all of the PREMIUM features is enabled by default during the install wizard (IIRCthere is an opt-out option).

More details about the 2.0 upgrade are here: What does Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0 mean for me?

At the end of the 14 days, the trial will end and MBAM 2.0 will automatically revert to the Free version, which is just a manual, on-demand scanner.

If you wish to go back to the Free version now, without waiting, there are at least a couple of options:

1. A Clean Reinstall, following the steps in the "Free Version" section of this pinned topic : MBAM Clean Removal Process 2.x -- be sure to OPT-OUT of any trial of MBAM PREMIUM during the reinstall, if you are offered the opportunity to do so.
  2. Click the "End Trial" button from the notification generated by the program -- I cannot attach a screenshot to illustrate, because attachments are not permitted in this area of the forum, but you may look in the User Guide under "Notification Window Examples" for an illustration.
  3. There may be another, direct way, as well, from within the program (perhaps under "My Account" in the main dashboard?), but I am not sure, as I have not run a Free trial of 2.0 on any of my systems.

If you need more help, please start a new topic in the MBAM support section >>HERE<<, as this pinned "News" topic is not well-suited for support issues. ;)

Thanks,