RubbeR DuckY

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Update to 2.0.1

@TechMom

Was it an install over the top of a working licensed 1.75 version?

Do you have an ID and KEY in the Registry?

Location for Windows x86 32-Bit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Location for Windows x64 64-Bit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Yes, it was an install over the top of a working 1.75 version.

OS is Windows7 x64.

Yes, the ID and Key are in the Registry.

It did not show any errors with the upgrade.

When it didn't show that it was registered, I entered my ID & Key. The fields had the green check mark but it did not show that it was registered.

When it didn't activate, I activated the trial so I have that reg key also.

could not edit my original post so i had to post it here 

ymymcNi.png?2

Hello everyone! I want to personally thank you all for the wonderful feedback we've received after the launch of 2.0 last Monday. We've heard you loud and clear regarding the UI and have been working as quickly as possible to fix some of the more obvious issues.

Here's what we've done --

You said: the notifications are too big
We've changed the notification size to be significantly smaller.

You said: there are too many notifications
If the UI is in focus, you will no longer be getting tray notifications except for malware detections.

You said: installing the product for the first time and getting multiple red notifications scares users
We agree! On first launch, the database will be auto-updated and users will no longer be bombarded by red notifications, this was never our intent!

You said: the dashboard screaming red aggressive colors all of the time is annoying and not helpful and can even scare users
We've changed the color of most of the notifications from red to orange and changed both red and orange to look less aggressive.

You can read the full change log here or in the installer as we've fixed some minor issues as well.

To get the update, please download it from our website, or if you're already running 2.0, just check for updates. Starting Monday, we will start slowly migrating 1.75 users to 2.0; this is currently disabled. If you do not wish to participate, please make sure you've disabled the program updates on the Update Settings tab in 1.75.

I realize this is not the entire scope of changes you expect. We have a ton of work to do beyond this, but we wanted to respond quickly to change what some users have termed "rogue behavior."

I would greatly appreciate your comments. I also want to let you know that we're working on allow users to disable the new product module we put on the dashboard, rework the entire notification system, and more.

Edit: In about 2-3 weeks we're going to release yet another patch that will fix about ~30 bugs that have been reported or we've discovered. We wanted to make sure the UI issues were addressed first since we had some really great feedback from everyone.

Yeh, theres a lot of bugs.. espically for windows 7, it works well on windows xp, in fact, heres a pic...

RE: Yeh, malwarebytes is buggy, espically in windows 7, its doing fine in xp though, except everytime i custom scan my laptop freezes for a few secs then power beeps.

RE: Yeh, malwarebytes is buggy, espically in windows 7, its doing fine in xp though, except everytime i custom scan my laptop freezes for a few secs then power beeps.

Any issues you are having can probably be resolved by the team, just post about them HERE and someone will help you resolve them....

It seems I no longer have a "full system scan" - is it now callead a "Threat Scan"? I used to scan once a week all of my files. This was nice. I think I lost that now, and I want it back badly. The threat scan doesn't scan all files on the computer.

It seems I no longer have a "full system scan" - is it now callead a "Threat Scan"? I used to scan once a week all of my files. This was nice. I think I lost that now, and I want it back badly. The threat scan doesn't scan all files on the computer.

Hello and Welcome...

This option is still available, but the names have been changed as mentioned below...

The new scan names are a bit confusing to those of us used to the naming scheme in MBAM 1.75, but this should help.

Threat scan ==> quick scan

Custom scan ==> partial or Full scan - depending upon what you choose to scan.

Hyper scan ==> Flash scan (only available for registered PRO users).

I am running MB version 2.0.1.1004. I ran a "threat scan" today on my computer (scheduled) and at the end, I saw that there were "threats detected and removed." So I went into the "view logs" and saw -- absolutely nothing. All entries were blank. I went into DOS mode and viewed the XML files (why did MB change them from text files?) I saw that the scan did indeed run (over 200,000 files scanned) and that, the "threats found and removed" were *NOT* removed. XML value in the mbam-log was: <action>none</action>. No action taken. So the threats are still there. When I tried to "export" the log file on the Malwarebytes screen (with no values in it) the Malwarebytes program was "forced to close" (a Microsoft message -- "send" "don't send" error info.) Also, the Malwarebytes icon disappeared from the system tray. MB also did not quarantine the same six (6) annoying "toolbar" files that version 1.75.01300 wouldn't remove. The interface is "pretty," but I don't like XML log files. They should have remained as text, so I could check them without the MB interface (where "view application logs" doesn't work anyway for scheduled scans.) Can anyone tell me why my "scan log" is blank, but the XML file contains the data? Is this something that can be fixed?

I am running MB version 2.0.1.1004. I ran a "threat scan" today on my computer (scheduled) and at the end, I saw that there were "threats detected and removed." So I went into the "view logs" and saw -- absolutely nothing. All entries were blank. I went into DOS mode and viewed the XML files (why did MB change them from text files?) I saw that the scan did indeed run (over 200,000 files scanned) and that, the "threats found and removed" were *NOT* removed. XML value in the mbam-log was: <action>none</action>. No action taken. So the threats are still there. When I tried to "export" the log file on the Malwarebytes screen (with no values in it) the Malwarebytes program was "forced to close" (a Microsoft message -- "send" "don't send" error info.) Also, the Malwarebytes icon disappeared from the system tray. MB also did not quarantine the same six (6) annoying "toolbar" files that version 1.75.01300 wouldn't remove. The interface is "pretty," but I don't like XML log files. They should have remained as text, so I could check them without the MB interface (where "view application logs" doesn't work anyway for scheduled scans.) Can anyone tell me why my "scan log" is blank, but the XML file contains the data? Is this something that can be fixed?

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Being that you are infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

You want some wonderful feedback?  

SCAN TIMES AND TRIPLED AND THAT IS SIMPLY UNACCEPTABLE. 

As a premium customer for many years I emailed tech support and asked about this. 

FOUR DAYS LATER I received an emailed telling me to do 13 things and then mail in FIVE FILES. 

LOOK, DOES THE THING RUN THREE TIMES AS LONG OR NOT?  

This 'jump through our stupid hoops because we know most people won't do it' shows me I WILL NEVER GET AN ANSWER TO A SIMPLE QUESTION. 

I've been a paying customer for many years and for what?   NON EXISTENT SUPPORT ON A RUINED PRODUCT. 

What a screw up.  Your management SHOULD ALL BE FIRED.   But no, they'll all get bonuses.  

Business is a disaster anymore.   

Can anyone recommend a decent anti-malware product?    

@is35a

I'm sorry you're having issues but if you won't allow us to assist you then there really isn't much we can do. 

There is probably better support here than most software products I've seen in my 20+ years in the business, but you need to calm down and let someone help you.

If you would like me to assist you then please create your own new topic in the forum below and I'll be more than happy to assist you.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showforum=41

Thank you

Hi is35a,

We apologize for the delay in our response times.  Currently we are encountering a high volume of support requests along with the launch of 2.0, and are doing our best to get to all requests in a timely manner. 

I ask that you continue to troubleshoot with the tech helping you. We do frequently collect information and logs to better understand the issues that are reported, frequently this type of information will be shared so that we can better tune the product in future builds. Again, thank you for your patience and understanding during this time. 

Thank you. 

My Feedback

Custom Scan with rootkit enabled

Time elasped 00:53:16

Objects scanned 416548

No infections.

Not sure how some users are getting 4hrs scan time with no rootkit scan enabled. I'm using a 1st gen i7 870 (OLD PC) with 4gigs of ram running windows 7 32bit spk1. Malwarebytes version 2.0.1.1004 running along-side AVG 2014 with no conflict. In fact It had no issues with AVAST and AVIRA as well. I switched from AVAST since it was slow in dealing with ZeroAcess virus and Avira has issues updating manually.

Last Week Odd occurrence: I scanned a external hard drive's " System volume information" with AVG which turned up NO infections. However scanning "system volume information" with Malwarebytes brought up AVG indicating an infection was found. Therefore i conclude that malwarebytes and AVG work well.

My issues: The latest malwarebytes doesn't update manually with MBAM rules.exe........after running the MBAM rules I found no change in database version. Even after uninstall and re-install. I will try the clean-up method mentioned elsewhere on this forum and re-try later on next week since I updated online today in frustration. I prefer to update manually since I don't use the internet frequently since internet costs in SA for the most part is expensive.

My issues: The latest malwarebytes doesn't update manually with MBAM rules.exe........after running the MBAM rules I found no change in database version. Even after uninstall and re-install. I will try the clean-up method mentioned elsewhere on this forum and re-try later on next week since I updated online today in frustration. I prefer to update manually since I don't use the internet frequently since internet costs in SA for the most part is expensive.

Thanks for your impute... you are correct the MBAM rules.exe manual update does not work with version 2.0x. They are aware of that and are working on something to fix it. They have not mentioned how they will be doing manual updates at this time. I also believe that the procedure for coping the files from one computer to the other does not work as well.

I would like to state, I have sight impairments that require me to use Microsoft accessibility tools.  What I use is the HIGH Contrast #` theme.  This theme is accepted by many  3rd party apps give a black background and yellow or white text.  It is easy to see how a low vision mbam user used v 1.75.  1.75 would inherit the changes.  Anyone can follow how it enables users with sight disabilities to level use IE, word, thunderbird, and of course mbam 1.75. 

Takes 5 seconds to change modes.

1.  On windows desktop empty desktop section just right click

2.  when the dropdown box opens select personalize and click again.  (you may have to scroll down)

3.  Go to the HIGH Contrast theme's and you can see HIGH CONTRAST #1 at work.  (if you did this correct you will see a black screen with white / yellow text)

4.  open mabn 1.75 under high contrast mode and easy to read by users with retina diseases, cornea, macula or capsule bag issues where a bit of contrast is needed.  Now it does not provide pretty pictures, but we had full access to mban's technology without all because the HIGH CONTRAST theme is inherited by the 1.75 app.  But everything is easily seen even by the low vision crowd.

5.  Now the fun starts, on early April I got the update and discovered that mban 2.x does not work with the Microsoft HIGH CONTRAST theme.  I see less then most of you and I see white backgrounds with a bit of washed out gray text.

A low vision user may have color blindness, or because of retinal or age related issues the CONTRAST SENSITIVITY is diminished.  Here is what I see when you have a white background and light gray fonts.  Since I no longer have strong CONTRAST SENSITIVITY  I can not see the subtle gray fonts with the white background.  I know the text is there, because my clients and wife tell me.  I do IT Consulting and rely on those HIGH CONTRAT features that are provided by Microsoft or the goodness of the application developers to perform my everyday activity.  One more point one of owners of a mortage company said on bright light days the new mban also tough for him to read me the text from the new v2.0 screens.  He smiled and handed me off to a younger staff member who moved right in front of the display screen to help me configure v2.0.

Now this would be no problem, for the millions of low vision users,  Here is how AVG or Panda cloud Cleaner worked around, they have a dark skin and white text enough contrast to satisfy needs of users who require access.  I was going to reply at some of the previous forums, but seems they are now locked or limited.  They are solutions as I read on some of the locked beta forums.  Some are to provide a switch to go to classic mode vs graphics, other solution is to provide a HIGH CONTRAST skin for those with sight impairment issues. 

Regardless, mban is powerful malware technology and I consider this product one of the few that can actually neutralize some issues that a standard AV can not.  I do recommend and have been using this product for many years now.  I just need to be able to see it a bit better to use, configure, edit schedule scans and analyze history logs. 

If any of the project managers or developers wish to bounce off any UI or GUI subject matter, I would be glad to give you my personal opinion from a sight impaired user.  Just email or feel free to call me.  I can not blame the developers many software engineers just need to be aware of accessibility issues.

Now for those users that actually switched from Windows Classic type mode to HIGH CONTRAST MODE, DON'T forget to switch back to your favorite Microsoft theme.  I on the other had have to remain in this mode to read and enjoy the use of a PC.

you all have a good day,

Jaime Guerra

Ok,

I updated to the new (fee)version.

As described above it takes HOURS to complete a scan. Even if I deselect certain options they still continue to run.

Initially the progams scans smoothly enough and detected things that the old version did not catch.

After the hours long scan however the program freezes. I then have to force stop it. When I restart anything it found isn't in the quarantine. I then have to repeat the procces again. Same results...

I don't even know if there an option to remove what's found because of the freezeing.

What's going on? Please help!

Ok,

I updated to the new (fee)version.

As described above it takes HOURS to complete a scan. Even if I deselect certain options they still continue to run.

Initially the progams scans smoothly enough and detected things that the old version did not catch.

After the hours long scan however the program freezes. I then have to force stop it. When I restart anything it found isn't in the quarantine. I then have to repeat the procces again. Same results...

I don't even know if there an option to remove what's found because of the freezeing.

What's going on? Please help!

Hello and Welcome Georged

If you are having issues please post about them HERE and post the required logs so that someone can assist you and help you resolve you issues.

Please try the following and let us know if that corrects it or not.

MBAM Clean Removal Process 2x

If that does not correct the issue then please read the following and post back the requested logs.

Diagnostic Logs

Thank you

NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here:

Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

Hello everyone! I want to personally thank you all for the wonderful feedback we've received after the launch of 2.0 last Monday. We've heard you loud and clear regarding the UI and have been working as quickly as possible to fix some of the more obvious issues.

Here's what we've done --

You said: the notifications are too big
We've changed the notification size to be significantly smaller.

You said: there are too many notifications
If the UI is in focus, you will no longer be getting tray notifications except for malware detections.

You said: installing the product for the first time and getting multiple red notifications scares users
We agree! On first launch, the database will be auto-updated and users will no longer be bombarded by red notifications, this was never our intent!

You said: the dashboard screaming red aggressive colors all of the time is annoying and not helpful and can even scare users
We've changed the color of most of the notifications from red to orange and changed both red and orange to look less aggressive.

You can read the full change log here or in the installer as we've fixed some minor issues as well.

To get the update, please download it from our website, or if you're already running 2.0, just check for updates. Starting Monday, we will start slowly migrating 1.75 users to 2.0; this is currently disabled. If you do not wish to participate, please make sure you've disabled the program updates on the Update Settings tab in 1.75.

I realize this is not the entire scope of changes you expect. We have a ton of work to do beyond this, but we wanted to respond quickly to change what some users have termed "rogue behavior."

I would greatly appreciate your comments. I also want to let you know that we're working on allow users to disable the new product module we put on the dashboard, rework the entire notification system, and more.

Edit: In about 2-3 weeks we're going to release yet another patch that will fix about ~30 bugs that have been reported or we've discovered. We wanted to make sure the UI issues were addressed first since we had some really great feedback from everyone.

Why is it that when a product works really really well and gains great popularity, the creators get itchy to make wholesale changes as if the need to "stay on top" is greater than riding out the products success? I have used Malwarebytes for a long time. I will no longer support it nor recommend it. I have been a great supporter and I'm responsible for a large company who relies on my recommendation with regard to IT. The new dashboard is cumbersome, at best. i won't go into minutia detail as to whats wrong with it as most have covered that arena. Good Job at the destruction of a great product!

Well this is m just my 2cents worth but I've seen this very frustration in many of the security/software products when major changes ocurr in the GUI. Scan times aside for a moment (because of the variables), whenever people/users/FINANCIAL supporters are used too and happy with a product, if major changes(cosmetically) are involved, there has to be an option to "Keep things the same".

From my understanding, there are major improvements in the security function of MBam and for many that is never noticed.

What is noticed, is buggy functioning, hanging modules and GUI changes cause frustration (not being able to navigate the way that was known).

I have no major concerns and have also support MBam for quite a few years but these are simply some observations from my world. :D

For heavens sake, all upgrades should migrate the scheduling of the current installation.  I have installed Malwarebytes Pro on most computers that I support and have been flooded with more than 100 calls about the scheduled scans were lost and the new version frequently popping up about database out of date.  It is scaring the hell out of users.  This is a lot of work for me that I cannot bill for.

For heavens sake, all upgrades should migrate the scheduling of the current installation.  I have installed Malwarebytes Pro on most computers that I support and have been flooded with more than 100 calls about the scheduled scans were lost and the new version frequently popping up about database out of date.  It is scaring the hell out of users.  This is a lot of work for me that I cannot bill for.

I have to agree that it is not a new GUI or even longer scans at times but this is my BIGGEST disappointment with 2.0. Like Merit, I set up the settings to be the most protective and LEAST intrusive for my less than savvy customers. With all the calls about XP EOL and getting customers switched then this happens and its a double whammy.The only thing done right is the hourly updates which is what I set them up in the first place. Why in gods name would you need a DAILY threat scan. Daily flash/Hyper scan would be what I would use, How about a warning that instructs you to run a immediate threat scan if something is found on the hyper scan or to auto trigger a threat scan. This last few weeks has been as hectic as last Aprils data base snafu. Like Merit said un-billable because we stand behind MBAM and promote/insist it be installed and don't send are customers to the forums to get help so we don't let them get pulled away from us as customers for the FREE super great help they could get here.

PS

The folder name change has been a pain re-setting up exclusions as well.

I would certainly agree about the scheduled task issue and I've submitted that to our development team.  Though I'm not sure what you mean about the name change being difficult for setting up exclusions.  Can you elaborate more on your concern.  Thanks

Removing the apostrophe in the file path of  Malwarebytes' to just Malwarebytes. I always set exclusions needed or not just in case.

I am assuming Windows/ AV  programs can tell the difference and the previous exclusions I set in the AV programs  are now wrong.

I would certainly agree about the scheduled task issue and I've submitted that to our development team

Thanks Ron, But after the upgrade the "damage" is done and has to be changed manually and that's the issue.

Also after the ability was added to auto-quarantine a few versions back, re infections due to clicky users almost completely vanished. I know the people smart enough to be here and post don't need to be hand held and want full control but I would personally like an option back to quarantine automatically so I don't see "ignored or excluded" in the logs of reinfected machines again. Same with the exclude website button as well.