Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Update to 2.0.1

OK, before I respond, please let me first iterate that I a min no way being snarky with my reply, but I am in stead supplying food for thought.

This last few weeks has been as hectic as last Aprils data base snafu.

but I would personally like an option back to quarantine automatically so I don't see "ignored or excluded" in the logs of reinfected machines again.

Those two items are mutually exclusive.  One of the reason I personally was not hit badly with the SNAFU from last April was specifically because I did not allow the program to automatically quarantine items, and the other reason was that I happened to be on my computer when the SNAFU began and saw it throwing up warnings left and right about having found several hundred infections when a previous update/scan had found absolutely nothing.

So many other people were not so lucky, and had issues ranging from a few programs not working to Windows being completely FUBARd and having to go through some painful steps to get their systems back in order.

Personally, I look at it this way, and although I have the highest regard for Marcin and the entire team of developers and staff at Malwarebytes, I am forced to take the stance of "Once bitten, twice shy."  My foresight, which comes from a long standing personal issue that I have in allowing any program make automatic decisions for me regarding what I should keep and what I should throw away, is exactly what kept my system from being nearly decimated due to human error.  I will never ever recommend anyone to have an automatic quarantine procedure, because although these types of AM software are meant to protect the end user from malware, by their very nature, with the total access that they have to system resources, they can also become the biggest threat to said systems, as was the case last April.

Just thought that I would point that out - as a PC technician myself, running my own business here in my area, I try my best to advise my clients to never have automatic threat removal.  I'd rather have them call me / email me if they do happen to run into a SNAFU and verify that the file(s) is (are), in fact, bad, than have to ever have to go through last April again.

As Ron and a few others can attest, I was in here volunteering unbillable time in order to get help to those who quickly came in behind me with systems in much worse states than mine was in, and IIRC, it was a pretty long ordeal for me alone, well over 12 hours, more and the fallout that the staff and support personnel here dealt with extended into many days, even weeks after the fallout.

So, for the life of me, why would you want something like that re-enabled on this software?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To keep it as a discussion with out the snark by the way no snark perceived :)  . Back then I used to use real time (5min) check for updates but after that is when I went to hourly. That suspect database was removed in 8 minutes and is why I had over 100 to deal with in 3 days. As a side note all but a very few offered me money for fixing it because of the relationship I have with my clients built over the last 11 years in the same shop. As for letting MBAM have full control on quarantines, I trust MBAM more than I trust my clients :wub:

I also credit Malwarebytes for the VERY low rate of re-infection that I have considering I have pairing it with MSSE for many years now. :o

As Ron and a few others can attest, I was in here volunteering unbillable time in order to get help to those who quickly came in behind me with systems in much worse states than mine was in, and IIRC, it was a pretty long ordeal for me alone, well over 12 hours, more and the fallout that the staff and support personnel here dealt with extended into many days, even weeks after the fallout.

Even though I don't post much I have been here for almost 6 years and visit the forums on an average of 5-8 times a day and feel like I actually know everyone personally and know their dedication and hard work including you as well John.

I have been a malware helper on another forum ages ago and know how hard people work here and how high their dedication level is. 

I hope that this along with the option to not auto-notify  or download Program updates are among those changes.

I have no problem with any of that. But this might seem arrogant but my customers are the users of the computer and I am IT security administrator of those computers. My customers trust me to do my best to protect the computers from threats and I do that by not only setting up software but ALSO educating them on risky computer habits. But back on my original reason on making my post is that once I set it up including auto-program updates I want those settings to be maintained by an update unless for example MBAM completely removes a feature like website blocking or a hyper scan or the rootkit scanning for example. If the feature is not there then the settings I set are irrelevant because the program no longer does that period.

Hi:

I upgraded to the Premium today and all of a sudden about 2 hours later, I got the blue screen of death like so many others have been reporting.  It was after I updated to the very latest release.

Running Windows Home Premium 64 bit

Sorry to hear about the BSOD.
BSOD are often the result of hardware problems, driver issues or some types of severe infections (rootkits).

Is this by any chance the same computer for which you have an open post over in the malware removal section >>HERE<<?

If so, then it would be advisable to head back over there and resume work with your malware helper.

If it's a different computer, then I would suggest that you please do the following:

The staff/experts will review the logs and advise you further.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Guest puzzled

I frankly don't like the update 2.0.1. Needs instructions for one. Nothing happens when you click on Custom scan. The former scan for the quick scan took about 10-15 minutes. The complete scan took 1-1/2 hours to scan. Maybe the new 2.0.1 Malware Bytes does a complete scan in a few minutes using the regular scan. I don't know but I doubt it.

just want to say thanks for a wonderful product, been using for ages. I like the od interface and wanted to know if you will continue to support it with database updates ? The new version I noticed is also significantly slower scanning than the old and wanted to know if there was a way to fix this?

Lastly I'll say again this is a great tool and I can't say enough about it. Just please don't "nortonize" and ruin it.

Kind Regards.

Hi, skydog:

Thanks for the feedback -- yes, the new UI has evoked some strong opinions, especially from longtime users. ;)
Many folks like it, some don't. 

The MBAM team has been very responsive to user feedback about it.

As for scan times, the new version has a more powerful engine and scanning features, so it might take a bit longer than version 1.x -- this is to be expected and is nothing to worry about.  There are many factors which determine scan time, as explained in this post.  You might want to disable anti-rootkit (ARK) and archive scanning, to speed up your scans.

Having said that, there is a new public beta build which has improved scan times for many users.  You might want to try it.
More information and download instructions are here.

Additional information about version 2 is here: Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions
And here are links to the MBAM 2.0 User Guide: Online and PDF

HTH,

daledoc1

Hi:

I am just a home user, but, yes, MBAM will support version 1.x with database updates for a while longer. :)

Eventually, within the next year or so, support for 1.x will end.

GUI aside, given that MBAM 2.x offers capabilities not present in version 1.x, it would be advantageous to upgrade to version 2.x.

If you do run into any issues with it, then please feel free to start a new post in the support section >>HERE<< and someone will be more than happy to help you.

Thanks,

daledoc1

I am having a problem! When I download version 2.0.1.1004 and try to install, I get the following message-

Runtime error(at 57:177:External Exception E06D7363). I can not install this version and during the attempt it will delete version 1.75 so I have to reinstall 1.75. Does anyone have a clue. Why can I install 1.75 with out any error message but version 2 fails?

Thanks for any help.

Hi, frustratedme: :)

Welcome.

Sorry you are having  a problem upgrading to version 2.
Please start a NEW post in the Support section >>HERE<< and someone will be very happy to help you.

If you want to get started on the basic troubleshooting before you open that new post:

Thank You,

daledoc1

@daledoc1

Sorry about posting in the wrong area.

I followed the directions you gave in tour post and everything worked just fine. The cleaning program seemed to be the solution (After searching thru my past purchases I was able to find my original id and key), from there it was sooth sailing.

THANK YOU Very much. 

Hi, @frustratedme:

No problem.

You weren't in the "wrong" section.

It's just that it's better to post about problems in the support section, so that the user can get customized, one-on-one, dedicated help.

Glad that the reinstall worked for you, though. :)

Thanks for posting back with the follow-up.

Take care,

daledoc1

Good Morning Marcin

I have the Malwarebytes Pro and for the last week or so I haven't been able to open and run it. I sent an e-mail to tech support several days ago, but haven't heard back yet.  I have even uninstalled it and reinstalled it but still can not get it to work.  Help!

Thank you

Hello and :welcome:, angelgirl1:

Sorry you are having trouble opening MBAM.

As far as support, I cannot say, as I am just a home user and forum volunteer -- sometimes the support emails end up mistakenly in spam or junk folders.  So you might want to check there.

Having said that, here are the routine troubleshooting steps:

>>NOTE: This is not the support section, so if step #1 or #2 does not resolve your issues, please proceed to step #3.

However, rather than posting the diagnostic logs back here, please include them with a NEW, separate post in the support section >>HERE<<.

Someone will be happy to help you.

Thank You,

daledoc1

It would be wonderful if the new engine could be in the old user interface as well.

It reminds me of Microsoft going from a good UI such as Windows 7 to a garbage UI like Windows 8.

Or like Avast going from a nice lightweight to a heavy bloated piece of garbage.

I sure hope Malwarebytes is not headed in that direction, as it is the best of the best when it comes to security and solutions for problems.

You don't need a pretty UI to have a great product that people will buy, you need a great product, which you have for sure.

Please don't commit software suicide Malwarebytes by going with the pretty crap and not having a nice clean simple interface that has no need for pretty, just kicking malware's butts.

I have to agree with the points listed above, particularly the 'best of the best' accolade. It's the truth - winners are grinners, losers can please themselves!

I think that user interface changes are best done very slowly, for the following reasons:

1.  Users are busy people (think about how busy you all are), and are usually unhappy (VERY unhappy) about having to learn "what they called it this time, and where is it hidden now?" Who has the time to play such games?

2.  Look at the train wreck that win 8 is - not because it is bad, but because it is different, and the large majority don't want to re-learn the product, they just want to use it.

3.  If MS started building cars, one day there would be a model with the steering wheel on the roof, and the brake pedal in the boot (trunk). Would you buy one? More, would you drive your children in it? (therefore, don't follow the MS interface update path)

I could go on, but there is no need, plus I am so *%!#@@ busy that I don't have the time to.

Please, I do not intend any insult of any kind, but I run a pc support service and have done so for 17 years, helping 'mum and dad' users get some worthwhile use from their it products. They all avoid Win8 like the plague, all because of the user interface changes.

This has been near to suicide by MS, even with all the money that they have.

Please, don't go there. Malwarebytes has an unbeaten record, but these days customers will walk for almost nothing, and your product is far to good to see it go that way.

But a lot of people were saying the same about Windows XP --> Vista / 7.  The UI was not what they wanted, etc. etc., give them back the old style everything, etc. etc.  The outcry was so public that now, as of last month, users are scrambling to protect their systems b/c they want an antiquated interface over better security. 

Plus, your (and other people's) analogy here is not quite right.  The OS UI in Win 8 is something that a Win8 user has to deal with on a daily basis, hourly basis, even from minute to minute.  The MBAM interface is not meant to be stared at for hours on end.  If you are interacting with the MBAM UI as much as you are with your OS UI (other than your initial install of the 2.xx series), then there is a serious problem.

Personally, I'd prefer to have a product that works as it should, and keeps up with the times, and not worry about the UI, particularly when I don't spend more than a few scant minutes per day (maximum) looking at it.

Finally, I believe that the UI is here to stay, and while it is great that everyone has an opinion on it whether it is good or it is not good or whatever, I think the bigger issue here is the product itself and ironing out any performance issues for a product that will be a "Set it and forget it" methodology employed for premium users and a "use infrequently, around once a week to once a month" for non premium users.

There's a lot of discussion about why people don't like the GUI, people not looking at the GUI all day etc..

Although it is true that no-one looks at the GUI all day, there are aspects of the user interface which do have an ongoing impact, in particular notifications. I do prefer the older GUI, but the new one - even with its original colours - doesn't bother me much.

What does bother me is loss of granularity of control, especially of notifications. Put that back the way it was, and I'd be happy. For example, I want to to be told if updates failed, but I don't want to be told when they work. I want to MBAM (or pretty much any other program) to fade into the background unless it has something really important to say. 1.75 does that, 2.xx does not - yet.