Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Update to 2.0.1

• Root Admin

Hello everyone! I want to personally thank you all for the wonderful feedback we've received after the launch of 2.0 last Monday. We've heard you loud and clear regarding the UI and have been working as quickly as possible to fix some of the more obvious issues.

Here's what we've done --

You said: the notifications are too big
We've changed the notification size to be significantly smaller.

You said: there are too many notifications
If the UI is in focus, you will no longer be getting tray notifications except for malware detections.

You said: installing the product for the first time and getting multiple red notifications scares users
We agree! On first launch, the database will be auto-updated and users will no longer be bombarded by red notifications, this was never our intent!

You said: the dashboard screaming red aggressive colors all of the time is annoying and not helpful and can even scare users
We've changed the color of most of the notifications from red to orange and changed both red and orange to look less aggressive.

You can read the full change log here or in the installer as we've fixed some minor issues as well.

To get the update, please download it from our website, or if you're already running 2.0, just check for updates. Starting Monday, we will start slowly migrating 1.75 users to 2.0; this is currently disabled. If you do not wish to participate, please make sure you've disabled the program updates on the Update Settings tab in 1.75.

I realize this is not the entire scope of changes you expect. We have a ton of work to do beyond this, but we wanted to respond quickly to change what some users have termed "rogue behavior."

I would greatly appreciate your comments. I also want to let you know that we're working on allow users to disable the new product module we put on the dashboard, rework the entire notification system, and more.

Edit: In about 2-3 weeks we're going to release yet another patch that will fix about ~30 bugs that have been reported or we've discovered. We wanted to make sure the UI issues were addressed first since we had some really great feedback from everyone.

{update - by AdvancedSetup}

NOTE: Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2.1012 was released today - 05/20/2014. The full changelog can be viewed here

Edited by AdvancedSetup
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.0.2.1012 was released today - 05/20/2014
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Marcin for the info on the new update....

I did an update using the updater inside the program as I was already running version 2.0.

So far so good. On one of my boxes I already had the notification waiting for me to update. On the second box, I opened the GUI and checked for updates, it said it was downloading a database update.

It would have been nice if it said it was downloading a program update instead of a database update. (that's cosmetic)

One other thing....

Just to check out the notifications, I disabled web blocking (right click, disable Malicious Website Protection) the notification came up as intended. It stays up waiting for you to click on Fix Now. The notification stays up even if I right click and re-enable the protection. I am fully protected but the notification stays there. Of course I can just click the X or click on Fix Now, but I thing the notification window should detect that protection is now enabled and go away on its own....

Thanks for the update and hearing my ramblings....

On the second box, I opened the GUI and checked for updates, it said it was downloading a database update.

It would have been nice if it said it was downloading a program update instead of a database update. (that's cosmetic)

Thanks, I've made a note of that bug.

Just to check out the notifications, I disabled web blocking (right click, disable Malicious Website Protection) the notification came up as intended. It stays up waiting for you to click on Fix Now. The notification stays up even if I right click and re-enable the protection. I am fully protected but the notification stays there. Of course I can just click the X or click on Fix Now, but I thing the notification window should detect that protection is now enabled and go away on its own....

Yes, currently obsolete notifications still remain present under some circumstances. We do plan to fix that in a future release.

doesn't a  notification suppose to pop up when it updates i haven't seen 1 yet but it does update when i check it

No, currently there are no notifications about database updates, however we do plan to add those back in a future release once we've implemented more granular control over notifications so that users who wish to disable individual types of notifications may do so without having to disable all notifications.
  • Root Admin

I've modified the original post, but I'll add it here as well --

In about 2-3 weeks we're going to release yet another patch that will fix about ~30 bugs that have been reported or we've discovered. We wanted to make sure the UI issues were addressed first since we had some really great feedback from everyone.

the changelog seems really good, personally im not really a fan of the new UI but since its the matter of personal preference and i like whats under the UI (hehe yep i went there :P ) so i dont mind it much but the constant notifications were annoying which is gone now.

thanks

Thanks for the latest update info for 2.0.1.1.0.0.4

After updating I no longer receive the pop-ups.

The fix now button on the Dashboard doesn't work when pressed.

Right clicking a folder for scanning just takes you to the license details page.

Most worrying of all is that after the update it tells me I have no real protection even though these have been maually set as the fix now button doesn't work but still it I get the red exclamation mark in the sys tray.

Hopefully these are minir bugs and a patch will be out shortley - not 2-3 weeks.

Apart from that this is a great peace of software.

Regards

Orion2

Hi, orion2:

You might want to try a clean reinstall to see if this resolves your issues, eg. with context menu scanning.

The instructions are here: MBAM Clean Removal Process.

NOTE: If you have Self-Protection enabled, you'll need to disable it before starting the process. You can re-enable it later after reinstalling, if you wish.

If that doesn't resolve your issues, please start a NEW post in the support section >>here<<.

Thanks,

daledoc1

Hi:

Cheers.

It would seem that the old reboot sorted the issues out on XP.

Indeed!

I had mistakenly assumed you had already rebooted before you posted. ;)

Yes, that often does "do the trick" to set registry changes (for any software update, not just MBAM).

Thanks for the follow-up and for the feedback -- I'm sure the team will be grateful for both.

daledoc1

I went to run it today and it wouldn't run. I uninstalled it, reinstalled, used mbam to remove it, and it still won't install. I'm getting an error in the installation process. I ran MSE and there aren't any virus's or anything on my computer. I actually just did a factory restore on it last week. Haven't been on my computer since sunday and come on today and try to run malwarebytes, and it wouldn't work. Any suggestions?

MSE finished, and i reinstalled it. no issues. ?!?! It was weird. I got 6 or 7 install issues. all the same number .... i wish I would have written it down.

OK, glad it is working now.

Please be sure to reboot the computer after the install.

If you still need help, please follow the advice to post in the support section.

Thanks!

daledoc1