KPP

PC Shuts down when streaming movies

If you need to replace the keyboard on the laptop, its really not that hard. Once you remove the keyboard you can get the part number from the bottom of the keyboard and order a replacement, should only be about $20. As for removing the keyboard, youtube is full of how to videos, just like this one right HERE, you model number should start at about the 38 second mark...

Wow. That video is amazing. When I read the instruction from the G62 manual, it seemed a lot more complicated.

Is that a Phillps screwdriver? Re: my model at the :32 sec. mark? What exactly am I seeing?

Where's the best place to buy the keyboard?

Thanks,

Kate

Its a Philips screw driver, use the one that will fix the screws.... as far as where you buy it, well that's up to you, so long as your buying the right one according to the part number on the keyboard. Amazon is a good place to start.

You guys are da bomb!  Thanks so much for this perfect info. You are saving me hours of searching and reduced stress. 

OK, so I just ordered from Amazon.

You said "buying the right one according to the part number on the keyboard."  Where would I get  that info?

Also I need to add more to my order to get free shipping, this would be a good time to get speakers for my laptop. Any suggestions?

Kate 

My post #51 above mentioned where to find the part number... it will be on a label (at least most have it) on the bottom of the keyboard. As for speakers, what I like you may not like so browse through the site and find some you like...

My pc is 3 years old and the label is all but worn off. Nothing left to read. Could I look this up in the manual?

Re: Speakers. I've done a lot of looking, and I've bought 2. One worked ok for 6 months and then fell apart. I just want to get an opinion on computer speakers. I continue to be very impressed with the depth of the knowledge here and the fast and easy directions and links I get. Seems to me you guys know exactly where to go to get something. :wub:

My personal preference is wireless, small, good sound (but not high quality, with volume knob on it. Price up to $35 I prefer, but could pay more. I don't have a stereo, so I would use my pc for this function. I could get a stereo, but I am saving for expensive dental work for both me and my dog. Hmm  maybe I can get a family plan! :o

Thanks again, all, for your time and advice. :lol:

Kate

i hear ya about dental and expense ...

i have a crown that is about 35 years old and may need to be re-engineered .

the cost is 500 bucks after insurance !

a place i purchase from is www.newegg.com (customer satisfaction rating of 99.99) ... i have also used ebay .

i'll be honest here and say that a set of 35 buck speakers is just that ... false economy .

(i don't mean to go plumb silly on high-dollar stuff as well)

unless you actually need wireless speakers , put the money into a set of wired speakers ... better value vs quality .

i recommend something with a sub-woofer otherwise things are going to sound a little on the thin side .

again , i believe in a person learning about "things" by doing some foot-work/recon (first) ... helps them "grow" .

;)

do a little digging and post some links ... we can sift through them .

The label and part number I am talking about is the one under the physical keyboard and not on the bottom of the laptop....

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so to elaborate on what Firefox has written, see the below photo.

On the top is the back of a Toshiba notebook keypad and below it is the back of a Dell notebook keypad.

post-14644-0-96646400-1402716621_thumb.j

Dell Notebook keypad

post-14644-0-44684100-1402716792_thumb.j

Toshiba notebook keypad

post-14644-0-22399000-1402716793_thumb.j

in addition/an option to removing the keyboard and getting the part number off of it .

OP :

"My pc is 3 years old and the label is all but worn off. Nothing left to read. Could I look this up in the manual?"

hmmm ... i'm thinking that if this is the manual that came with the laptop ... it should have the model number on the cover .

one could look up the keyboard by make and model .

an option would be to retrieve the model number via a piece of software .

then again , if the OP removes the keyboard there will be no doubt as to what the part number is and the physical realities of removal/reassembly .

Best and most accurate would be to remove the keyboard and get the part number from there, this way there is no room for error...

I JUST love a conclave of great minds comingling to come up with best practices for purchasing a new keyboard. And I do appreciate all y'alls help. Keep in mind, tho, I have just enof pc savvyness to be a dangerous newbie and little, if any mechanical knowledge or dexterity. That said, Porthos was kind enough to paste a link to a keyboard on Amazon. He said "for example only" but it looked good enof to me so I was gonna order it. As to model #, A) there is no way on God's green earth that I can disablec the keyboard for any reason, much less look for a part #. B) I have an HP Model G72 notebook. What more is there to know? and C)  CWB seems to have a grasp of my level of unknowledgeability (I just love coining new words ...), so he tends to lead me gently through the junkyard of pc gobbedlygook, parts and replacements. 

Ony6e lasbt5 thiny6g, mny6 keny6bt5oard is bt5rokeny6, so bthis is whabt5 a seny6bt5eny6ce looks like before I eat up a lot of  time on a readable edibt5. BT%hus, I cany6ny6obt5 do a lobt5 of cleany6iny6g up, as I am immersed iny6 ony6e of mny6 
SAT projects.

Porthos link. Can I order this one?

For example only...

http://www.amazon.co...t/dp/B004ZDFVLQ

FWIW, with most laptops, if you undo the screws that secure just the KB to the laptop body, you can then then life the KB out of the area it is in, and take a picture of the tag that is underneath it without ever having to disconnect it.

And as far as owning an HP G72, well, I went to HP's support site, searched for G72, and got this:

http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-search.html?tab=2#/qryterm=g72&searchtype=s-001

29 matches found. Please select one below HP G72-c00 Notebook PC series HP G72-b00 Notebook PC series HP G72-a00 Notebook PC series HP G72-200 Notebook PC series HP G72-100 Notebook PC series

Most of the larger laptop manufacturers are doing the same thing - a model number is not (always) sufficient enough to be certain that the part(s) that you wish to purchase will actually fit correctly.

Comparing the pictures of the KB being offered with the KB you have in your laptop will help, but even then there is the risk that, though the KB layout itself is identical, the actual connector(s) that are underneath it may not be.  It's a very small possibility, mind you, but I have seen it happen at least twice when I have purchased a KB that looks identical for a client's laptop only to get it and realize that I cannot use it....

A) there is no way on God's green earth that I can disablec the keyboard for any reason, much less look for a part #.

If you don't think you can remove the keyboard to replace it then having the part is of no use. Call a few local shops and ask what it will cost you to replace your keyboard. Please forgive me if I have not read every post in this thread.

I think he meant that he could not replace the KB b/c it is on the device that he is using to type in  the forums.

Thanks all y'all again for your care and concern. I am now searching my pc to see if I can find the info needed. I did have HP replace this keyboard once, and may still have info on the transaction. 

heh ... i have had tech support on the phone in one ear and a customer in the field in the other .

i translated/relayed instructions and information between the two "worlds" (not language) ...

there is a difference between "knowledge levels" and "way of understanding" of the two entities .

yeppers ... having been in the electronic repair industry almost since christ was a corporal ...

a base model number of a device is not always sufficient enough to guarantee an exact replacement part .

due to :

production run changes

change of suppliers/subcontractors

specification changes

engineering/reliability changes

optional equipment

basic device base stocks

dark at 2:30 in the afternoon on a tuesday ...

etc .

a way of identifying with almost certainty "what is under the hood" is implemented .

one method is a "line of alphanumeric identifier code(s)" ...

these will usually allow one to cross-reference a suitable replacement part .

(i would not bet the farm on this)

a part number obtained directly from the part in question and/or extracting the number from a parts list in a manual (referencing the exploded view) is the best way .

I found it:

New or Like-New Parts Used in Repair: Quantity Part Number Description 1 618226-001 TOP COVER - TOUCHPAD 1 617480-001 KEYBOARD 1 629040-001 SYSTEM BOARD

Also this:

Model Number: XG988UA Model Description: HP G72-B60US NOTEBOOK PC Serial Number: 5CB1012NZY Creator: ARRAWAL

So is this (from John Galt's list)

what I should buy?

here is a keyboard removal video that glosses over the important parts of working on the laptop :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsvseBc-G68

the first glaring error is not having a clean soft surface to work on ... that hard surface will cause scratches .

how hard is it to lay down a towel ?

(personally , i would not let the clown in the video work on anything of mine)

it does show that you can flip the keyboard (without having to stand on yer head) to get the part number .

there should be little keyboard icons molded into the plastic that show which screws to remove .

there will be one or more small "ears/tabs" on the top edge of the keyboard that fit into recesses/notches ...

gently slide the keyboard back and use a small flat blade screwdriver (or similar tool) G-E-N-T-L-Y pry the keyboard backplane back and up .

this will allow you to retrieve the part number .

also , be gentle when flipping up the compression/retaining bar on the ribbon cable connector (dark colored) ... pry only at the ends .

there should be two alignment/retaining "notches/tabs" on the cable connector (on each lateral side) and a mating portion on the connector ... observe this carefully when disassembling and reassembling .

as far as the link you posted goes ... it is only for the model of laptop you have ... it is not a link to a "service manual" .

a google search of "HP G72-b60US replacement keyboard" yields many results .

find a reputable dealer or two (as on ebay) and post links to their replacement keyboards .

Firefox,

It looks exactly like it. I assume the touch pad and related housing are not involved.

CWB,

I know a guy who's very talented mechanically & can build and fix anything. He also happens to be a chef. I was thinking of having him do the changeout. But now I'm worried after your remark about the YouTube guy.

p.s. Sorry I can't respond more quickly, but I'm scoring the SAT now and through next week. When I finish for the night (often at midnight), I can't think at all, much less see straight. It may be my age showing, but the focus and concentration this task requires wipes me out. Sometimes I have to step away until the dust bunnies clear. <whew>

technicians should follow the oath that doctors take : "do no damage to the patient"

accordingly their actions will be along those lines .

if your friend :

is capable of seeing/thinking three steps ahead

shows a modicum of caution and reason in his approach to problems and solutions

knows which is the business end of a screwdriver

uses finesse instead of brute force

then he may , in all likelihood , be capable of swapping out the keyboards .

ps ... i cook as well , too .

Hi CWB,

Please see attached document. For some reason, I cannot figure how to paste copy into this site.

Thanks,

Kate

p.s. I'm ever so impressed by your skill set. Cooking, indeed!

Keyboard.txt