PC Shuts down when streaming movies

KPP

keyboards on laptops are not quite as robust as their "stand alone" brethren .

describe what is happening .

do you know of anything spilled on the keyboard ?

has there been any physical abuse ?

it is possible to replace the keyboard ... this does require some skill in order to avoid physically damaging the machine and creating more problems along the way .

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

CWBT%=[-=[-

Here are examples of what the keny6bt5oard is doiny6g.

Translation: Here is an example of what the keyboard is doing.

I think a lot of the damage is on the left side. Think I spilled something. HELP! Also page zoom view is constantly changing out of the blue. In alphabetical order, these are some of the keys affected.

LEFT SIDE                                                                  RIGHT

A                                                                              |                  }|

B                                              BT5                         {                 +{_

C D E F G H I J K L M                                            

N                                              NY6                        OK -  " : ? < >

O P Q R S                                                               -                  /-

T                                               BT5                        +                 +{_

U V W X

Y                                              NY6

Z

PLEASE HELP!

are any of the keys "sticky" feeling or slow to respond (mechanically and/or electrically) ?

it does appear that the keyboard should be replaced ...

as you suspect that something was spilled on the machine , it is possible that the fluid found it's way further into the "guts" .

there is a method for "cleaning up" the keyboard that i would try but it requires removing it from the machine .

i will be honest here ... removing/replacing the keyboard requires care , caution , finesse and a "sixth sense" (or "feel") in order to avoid damaging the machine .

some machines are easier than others to work on in this department .

it may be possible to obtain a replacement keyboard and pay someone to swap it out .

(re) post the make , model and service number .

here is a link for the manual for your laptop :

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542102.pdf

the keyboard replacement procedure starts on PDF page 53 .

your machine is not as bad as some machines when it comes to replacing the keyboard .

it is a relatively straight forward process .

note that the ribbon cable will not put up with much flexing and such .

the ZIF socket for the cable is a bit on the frail side ... gentle is the key word .

taking a cautious look will prevent many bad words from being said .

make sure that the new ribbon cable is fully inserted and correctly aligned.seated .

check at ebay or other places for the replacement keyboard by the model number .

post links here for certification of the correct part .

@ cleatus :

video drivers ?

"online app" ?

not sure what you mean by that .

there is no application to "fix" a mechanically and/or electrically damaged keyboard .

you can use an external keyboard to get you by ...

use a USB type and plug it into one of the USB ports .

the laptop will detect it and use it ... you should be able to disable the laptop keyboard via a software command .

If the keyboard is the problem I recommend buying an USB keyboard are they are easy to clean and if they break you can spend less money on buying a new one then going to a repair shop and spending like $100 to fix the keyboard.

Yea. This happened to my laptop until it was infected before i even knew about this site. And after I started helping my family with virus and malware removal and general help over all. But one member of my family is an it pro and I didn't even know how great I was until I removed malware from my grandmas computer and she had 25 hijacks, 3 rogues, 1,000 PUP, 200 PUM, and Rootkits along with Bootkits.

OK, guys. I have you all beat. I found it! I am typing this using an onscreen keyboard. With all the advances in technology, I was sure there had to be one ... and here it is. You'll never believe where I found it!

"You'll never believe where I found it!"

in a sealed mayonnaise jar on funk and wagnels porch at 2:30 in the afternoon ?

i shall digress ...

which one are you using ?

any luck on finding a replacement keyboard source ?

(5 bonus points for the source of the above reference)

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm ... off topic ?

methinks not .

the stage that this thread was left at was the OP using the "on-screen built in" keyboard for data entry pertinent to procuring a replacement keyboard ...

and a query about a replacement keyboard source .

CWB

The Windows on-screen keyboard works too well. Otherwise My search for a replacement would be faster. I am more than hesitant to replace it myself. For one thing, I imagine different screwdrivers are needed and I don't have many/any? So I've been trying to find someone who can do it for me. No luck so far, but I still have people I can ask. I could also look for a spouse because this strikes me as a perfect "honey do" task.

heh ... "honey do" ... but i really prefer the melon .

yeah , i get a lot of those projects .

surprisingly not many spouses would be able to change out a keyboard , although it is relatively easy .

(i don't recommend keyboard changing as a requisite for/to/of entering matrimonial contract)

i forgot to ask if your laptop has a "touch screen" , this would make typing much easier with the on-screen keyboard .

changing the keyboard will take two screwdrivers at the most , good quality types are essential to prevent stripping out the heads ...

these would set a person back about 10 bucks .

First off, ty for the matrimonial advice. God knows I need it since I remain single. To be honest, I only recently have wanted to change my status.

Touch screen? You must be thinking of my richer relatives.

Screwdriver - Can you please tell me exactly the kinds needed. I think I may have someone to do it. And I'm getting tired of the "ease of access" on-screen version.

HELP -The keyboard issue is screwing up a lot of things. Now it has changed my view in Word to two-page view vs. one. PLEASE tell me you know how to fix!!!

I'm begging here.

Kate

have you tried using google to search for a solution to the two page dilemma ?

(under the guise of giving a fish versus teaching to fish)

;):lol:

if your mechanical and analytical skills are limited it would be most prudent on your part to seek out someone to swap out the keyboard .

you can , of course , find a replacement on-line and avoid the mark-up that someone would charge you .

you are welcome in reference to the matrimonial advice , i am only giving back what was proffered to myself years ago .

my brother-in-law asked me "so , when are you getting married ?"

i replied "i really don't plan on getting married ..."

"i met your sister , married her and it was the best thing that ever happened to me" .

"that may be so , but , i don't feel compelled to share my life with someone"

"marriage is an institution ..."

"yeah ? and who wants to live in an institution ?"

i-shall-digress

give the google search a try and report back .

if you come up empty handed , myself or someone else here will help you .

Cwb,

If you get a weird reply from me, don't fret. The keyboard has taken over control of my typing, viewing, phraseology and, I'm beginning to think, my thinking.

Google was 1st thing I did. All answers related to owning the full-featured vs. freebie version. But will try again, a little harder this time. I gave up when all answers were the same.

Do I not have a need to know clearance for names or types of screwdrivers?

Luv even more your story about your BIL. That pretty much sums up my attitude as well. Never could see a good reason and/or someone worth living with ... much less forever. All my boyfriends were exceptionally hot, but none were especially fond of dogs. That's #1.

Will report back.

Kate