Windows 8.1 Update 1 will be available on April 8 -- here’s what’s new..

ShyWriter

• Root Admin

Here is a KiXtart script to have Merlin tell you about your logon script.

break on$agent_control = "agent.control.2"$agent_name = "Merlin"$agent_path = "c:\winnt\msagent\chars\$agent_name.acs"$agent = olecreateobject ( "$agent_control" )$= oleputproperty ( $agent, "connected", "s",                       "1" )$characters = val ( "&" + olegetproperty ( $agent, "characters" ) )$= olecallfunc ( $characters, "load", "ss",                      "$agent_name",                      "$agent_path" )$character = val ( "&" + olecallfunc ( $characters, "character", "s",                      "$agent_name" ) )$rs = olecallfunc ( $character, "show" )$= olecallfunc ( $character, "play", "s",                      "greet" )$= olecallfunc ( $character, "play", "s",                      "gestureleft" )sleep 5$= olecallfunc ( $character, "think", "s",                      "Hi there %username% !" )sleep 5$= olecallfunc ( $character, "think", "s",                      "My name is $agent_name and "+                      "this is your logon script ... "  )sleep 5$= olecallfunc ( $character, "think", "s",                      "Checking group membership ..." )sleep 3$= olecallfunc ( $character, "think", "s",                      "Mapping network drives ..." )sleep 3$= olecallfunc ( $character, "think", "s",                      "All done ... have a nice day !" )?"pause..." gets $c$= olereleaseobject ( $agent )exit

I'll be the one who gets this back on topic :-P

I upgraded a W8 laptop last night. I had some difficulty getting the 8.1 upgrade to download, but it finally did on the 4th try. A nice surprise (these are rare, heh) : Update 1 (or W8 SP2 as I like to call it) was included in the package. No wonder the size of the 8.1 upgrade (or SP1 in my book) was just North of 3.6GB

MS didn't do this at first, but quickly decided it would be more efficient this way. No kidding...

Another reason for doing this and I'm not sure we've discussed it in this thread yet : those with 8.1 who do not update to "8.1 Update1" in the next few weeks will stop receiving updates completely by May (of this year !). Yes, this means that those without Update 1 will have a dead W8.1 (end of life) in 2 weeks or so. Funnily, those with W8 only have support until January 12 2016. Go figure ! No really, this is more absurd than anything I've seen from MS.

Imagine those in the entreprise field who are deploying 8.1 right now (and they don't have Update 1 rolled into the package) ; how are they supposed to rush into yet another rollout (Update 1) so quickly ? How many machines will be running on unsupported 8.1 and for how long ? Nice going MS...

Edit to add : Steve posted about the mandatory Update 1 in a separate thread >>>

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=146157

Edited by Mark

• Root Admin

Yep, anyone in a Corporate company trying to rollout Windows 8 is a glutton for punishment or something. 

My wife just brought home a brand new i7 Lenovo laptop from work that replaced her old XP laptop from a large entertainment company that has over 130,000 desktops.  On the bottom it had a big Window 8 sticker on it and I'm like "oh joy - now I can answer questions for her daily for the next few months".  But I fire it up and no Windows 8 it has Windows 7 Enterprise x64 with 8GB of RAM on it.  She says that's what all the new computers come with.  Exactly.... no big company can seriously consider rolling out Windows 8 (IMHO)

For Corporations and larger business (and those that can afford them), VLK licenses will help with that matter.

Smaller businesses and home users who did not take advantage of TechNet / BizSpark, well, they are probably going to be left in the cold and forced to upgrade eventually, unless someone can help them out in some way.

I'm keeping my Win7 boxes regardless, though a Win 8.1 laptop for testing (roommate's) is available to me.