Usage and compliance, Clarification

When I purchased the anti-malware from Malwarebytes, I was sure the publicity on the page I purchased from said I could use it on up to and a maximum of 3 computers. I was about to install it on our second PC but canceled the installation upon reading the licence agreement that stated it may only be installed on one machine. 

I know I have a lousy memory, but did I really read that page incorrectly. OR Am I, indeed , allowed to install it on my second machine? (I also own a laptop so 3 applications were ideal but it seems via the licence I only got the one)

I am glad I read the licence, I don't do so, as a rule.

If you purchased the Premium 2.0 Version, the license is a yearly subscription good for up to 3 computers. I an not sure what license agreement your reading so I can not comment on that... You can read more about it HERE where the CEO of Malwarebytes talks about it...

We will continue to honor existing lifetime licenses, meaning any users that already have a lifetime license for 1.x will continue to have a lifetime license for 2.0. We'll also be offering a few thousand more lifetime licenses at some point soon as a special offer, so keep an eye out! On top of all of that, new subscription licenses will be valid for 3 PCs, not just 1.

The license for 1.7x were lifetime licenses and were good for only 1 computer.

Hi, Jennifer:

A previously purchased (before March 24) consumer, 1-PC lifetime license for MBAM 1.xx PRO will be automatically migrated to an identical, consumer, lifetime, 1-PC license.  So, it remains a 1-PC license that can be used on 1 PC at a time.  It can be transferred to a different computer, but not to a different user.

If you purchase(d) a NEW, consumer license after March 24, for version 2.00 Premium, that type of license can be used on 3 home computers at a time, but it is based on an annual, renewable, subscription model.

HTH,

daledoc1

One lifetime license does not magically turn into 3. 

I DID NOT THINK THAT! What I was asking is if I can purchase the same deal again for PC#2, I don't mind paying I am just not crazy about subscription models. Even my MS Office is a lifetime licence and it cost a lot more than MB asks.Hard to get now but still possible if one does not want all of the bells and whistles.In point of fact, I do think MB is the best deal going in anti-malware and the price can not be beat. If I must do subscriptions I do and will. At least I never do "File Sharing", "Free Ware" or "Pirate Ware" or any other kind of theft. I do hunt down the best deals I can find. When Cleverbridge sent me the wrong key and download I did not use it, I reported the error promptly. When I see sites scamming MB licence IDs & Keys for free I report them. So, what ever you might think of me I do all I am able to put cheaters out of business.

Your post seemed a bit snarky to someone that tries to be strictly honest even while looking for the best deal! Simply stated, I was really just saying / asking if I can purchase the same deal or something like it a second time. 

I don't think @Propheticus was being intentionally snarky.

There was some initial confusion when the new licensing model was announced.

When MBAM graciously announced that they would honor consumer 1.xx lifetime licenses, there were several inquiries as to whether the 1-PC lifetime licenses would be converted to 3-PC lifetime licenses.

So, no, that cannot be done.

Your 1.xx 1-PC lifetime license stays a 1-PC lifetime license that is still valid for 2.00 and beyond.

But it does NOT become a 3-PC license.

All new licenses being sold to consumers since Mar 24 are 3-PC licenses, but they are ANNUAL, RENEWING, SUBSCRIPTION licenses.

If you search the internet (carefully), you might still find a REPUTABLE etailer (amazon, newegg, etc) offering a 1-PC lifetime, consumer license.

But their stock won't last.

EDIT: I see that John has provided such a link....

And I would exercise a bit of caution in making any such purchase, as I might expect there will be some unscrupulous folks out there on the 'net hawking fake licenses for a high price.

There is not now (or AFAIK will not be) a 3-PC, lifetime, consumer license.

Hope this helps,

daledoc1

Newegg deals are NOT FOR CANADIANS! To Canada the price, all in, is $33. and NO DOWNLOAD POSSIBLE! Also, the disk they are sending is "OEM", Is that OK for me to install and use. I generally avoid "OEM"s because they are intended for manufacturers. The only reason I followed through on the purchase was because newegg was recommended here. I assumed there products are known to most of you.

Newegg is a large technology etailer.

IIRC, their MBAM sales are actually handled through a 3rd-party authorized reseller, DSolutions in.............................................................Canada?

(Check your paperwork. :) )

I've only purchased from Newegg a few times, but lots of folks here shop there.

I don't expect you'll have any problems.

And I would expect they'll make things right, if needed.

But it's just a boxed software purchase, so you should be fine.

YMMV, of course.

Cheers,

daledoc1

Newegg is a large technology etailer.

IIRC, their MBAM sales are actually handled through a 3rd-party authorized reseller, DSolutions in.............................................................Canada?

(Check your paperwork. :) )

I've only purchased from Newegg a few times, but lots of folks here shop there.

I don't expect you'll have any problems.

And I would expect they'll make things right, if needed.

But it's just a boxed software purchase, so you should be fine.

YMMV, of course.

Cheers,

daledoc1

Now that really is worth a laugh! Their dealer is in Canada and they can not sell the full line to Canadians, LOL.

Of course it doesn't. :)

I was merely pointing out (unsuccessfully) the coincidence that the reseller happens to be in Canada, like the OP.

Nothing more, nothing less. :D

Fail on my part.

No fail on your part.

I was only speaking as a "US / Newegg Subscriber" customer with my experience.

Jennifer is in Canada, and I don't know what/if any Newegg CA "subscriber promo rules" are.

Now, back to my own MB anti-malware. If I keep the program updated, there really is no reason to upgrade to 2.0, is there? 

Other than the cosmetic changes (not all for the better, I'll give you that...) there have been changes underwater as well. Your 1.75 life-time licence (bought pre-2.00) will be converted to a 2.00 life-time licence. There really is no reason not to upgrade, is there?

Also I wasn't being snarky, but in the discussion I read some confusion about the 1PC->3PC thing. My bad If I misinterpreted this.