Slow scans with MalwareBytes 2.0

Hi John A.

From what I could make from the logs as a home user of MBAM. I have no formal training in reading the logs so if I'm off somewhere, please tell me. Now to get started.

I noticed that you have Avast! Free anti-virus and Avira free antivirus. Running two piece of anti-virus software is generally not recommened. One of the problems that can be caused by using two pieces of anti-virus software is slower system.

Did you set exceptions for MBAM in you anti-virus software? By default anti-virus software checks everything the other software does, so everything MBAM wants to scan is also checked by your anti-virus software. In combination with the new major version this may be the cause of the slow scans.

Here an a bit dated walk-through to add exceptions for MBAM in Avast!

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avast! Antivirus 6 (Free, Pro and Internet Security):

• Open Avast! antivirus and click on REAL-TIME SHIELDS on the left
  • Click on File System Shield on the left and click on Expert Settings
  • Click the Exclusions section
  • Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
  • In the Select the areas window click on the + next to C:
  • Click the + next to Program Files Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
  • Click the box next to Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click on OK
  • Click OK again
  • Click on Web Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
  • Click on Exclusions and check the box next to URLs to exclude:
  • Type or copy/paste the following address:

*.mbamupdates.com

• Click on OK

Also, for Avast! Internet Security:

• Click on Behavior Shield on the left and click Expert Settings
  • Click on Trusted Processes
  • Click on Browse next to the blank entry at the bottom of the list (this will be the only entry if no other exclusions have been set yet)
  • Navigate to C:Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and click once on mbam.exe and click Open Note: For 64 bit Windows versions this will be Program Files (x86)
  • Do the same for the following files:
    • mbamgui.exe
    • mbamservice.exe
  • Click on OK
  • Close Avast! antivirus

And here a (dated) walkthrough to add exclusions for MBAM in Avira. (I think you have a 64-bit os, but if I'm wrong please tell me so I can post the 32-bit version.)

Set Exclusions for Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware in Avira on 64 bit Windows Versions:

• Open Avira and click on Local Protection on the left
  • Click on Realtime Protection
  • Click on Configuration on the upper right
  • Click the checkbox next to Expert mode on the upper left so that it is checked
  • Under Guard, click the + next to Scan to expand the list
  • Click on Exceptions
  • Under Processes to be omitted by the Guard click the ... button next to the blank white box
  • In the browse window that opens, navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Double-click on mbam.exe then click the Add button
  • Repeat steps 7-9 for the following files:
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • Click on Apply
  • Close Avira's window

As usual there is the disclaimer that I'm just a home user of MBAM 2.00. So I have no training in reading the logs you posted.

Please tell us here whether this solved your problem.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please post & ask.

(P.S. You may want to remove the old Java installation.)

Thanks for trying to help. I have excluded MalwareBytes in Avast. I only use Avira for on demand scans (realtime shield not installed) so I think it is OK to use both.

I finally was able to do Threat Scan but it freezes my computer so I can't use it while scanning, it took 1 hour 12 minutes. I also tried a Hyper Scan and got a BSOD caused by MBAMSwissArmy.sys.

After restarting my PC i could do a Hyper Scan and it only took 53 seconds. Also I got a lot of messages about blocked malicious websites in utorrent. I will test it some more, but if it continues to freeze my PC and BSOD I have to uninstall this product. I really liked MalwareBytes before but version 2.0 is a disappointment.

• Root Admin

Please download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system.
You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please copy and paste it to your reply as well.

Sorry but I will uninstall 2.0 now. I have so many major issues with it. Scans never finish or freeze most of the time. Also got a BSOD in MBAMSwissArmy.sys, but only one time. Going back to 1.75 until you fix the bugs. I had zero issues with that version.

• Root Admin

Hi John

The logs show that your computer is infected with a rootkit which would certainly account for a slow scan.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thank you

Hi John

The logs show that your computer is infected with a rootkit which would certainly account for a slow scan.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thank you

What in the log files indicate I have a rootkit?

• 3 weeks later...

Same thing happened to me. I reverted back to 1.75 and now it's fine. I may or may not try Mbam BETA, I'm considering it. After perusing this forum, I see this getting stuck in Heuristic Anaysis phase of scan seems to be related to Mbam version 2.0.1. Maybe this has been fixed in the BETA version. I just think there will always be some inevitable degree of buggyness as the programs improve over time, just like anything else, and this issue may be an example of that.

Malwarebytes products are generally top notch and I will always recommend MB over all else - until/unless they start inundating us with commercial crap/neverending popups like Avast and/or become bloatware - HINT HINT MB! I'm thinking of buying paid version of MB. I would encourage Malwarebytes to PLEASE stay away from the temptation to become BLOATWARE like Avast, et al. Simpler is better, and Malwarebytes has - and is still gaining -

a very good reputation.

Anyway, see this thread related to Mbam getting stuck in Heurtistic Analysis phase of scanning:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=147264

Same thing happened to me. I reverted back to 1.75 and now it's fine. I may or may not try Mbam BETA, I'm considering it. After perusing this forum, I see this getting stuck in Heuristic Anaysis phase of scan seems to be related to Mbam version 2.0.1. Maybe this has been fixed in the BETA version. I just think there will always be some inevitable degree of buggyness as the programs improve over time, just like anything else, and this issue may be an example of that.

Malwarebytes products are generally top notch and I will always recommend MB over all else - until/unless they start inundating us with commercial crap/neverending popups like Avast and/or become bloatware - HINT HINT MB! I'm thinking of buying paid version of MB. I would encourage Malwarebytes to PLEASE stay away from the temptation to become BLOATWARE like Avast, et al. Simpler is better, and Malwarebytes has - and is still gaining -
a very good reputation.

Anyway, see this thread related to Mbam getting stuck in Heurtistic Analysis phase of scanning:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=147264

I would recommend you to try the beta. It solved the problem for me. Before it took over 10 hours to do a threat scan, but with the beta it takes less than 10 minutes!