[SOLVED] MBAE stops Windows Update

John A

See known issues.

Had that happen today as well, just close Internet Explorer and right click mbae tray icon and "Stop Protection", go back to windows update and you should be good. After reboot check mbae and "Start Protection" if necessary.

I have installed the second "fix" on xpSP3 and have gone through the Manual Update Process from MS Update Site WITHOUT any issues/Blocked Exploit  message box.

Thank's Pedro

• Staff

Solved in the upcoming 0.10.2 build.

The problems only happens on XP and with IE-driven Windows Updates, not with the automatic updates.

If you are experiencing this problem PM me and I'll send you a version of MBAE with this issue fixed.

I have had Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit (MBAE) for some time now and I regularly run the Microsoft Windows Update Program to get the latest updates for my system. Today, for the very first time, when I run the Microsoft program, a MBAE pop-up window apperas saying it has blocked an exploit attempt and stops the program from running. I have repeated running the Microsoft program several times and I keep getting the sam MBAE pop-up block window. Do you possibly know what is going on with MBAE? I ran the Microsoft program just yesterday with no problems. Microsoft just has to be a trusted website so I don't know why all of sudden MBAE is blocking it. What can I do to get the Microsoft program to run? Is there a problem with this particular version of MBAE? PLEASE HELP ME!

OK, I had a feeling it was XP.  Pedro had already had a a report on this issue, and this is the thread.  https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=143988

His final reply asks for a PM:  https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=143988&p=802565

So, send him a PM and he will probably send you an updated version to test.

Pedro,

Thank you for your reply. As you mentioned, can you send me a link to the version of MBAE where my problem has been fixed? Thank you so very much!

THIS ISSUE IS NOT "SOLVED" AS THE TITLE TO THIS THREAD SAYS!!!! I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A LINK TO THE NEWER VERSION OF MBAE SO I CAN SEE IF THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED.

Hi:

THIS ISSUE IS NOT "SOLVED" AS THE TITLE TO THIS THREAD SAYS!!!! I HAVE NOT RECEIVED A LINK TO THE NEWER VERSION OF MBAE SO I CAN SEE IF THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN FIXED.

[sOLVED] means that the underlying bug has been found and (generally speaking) a solution is available for the Original Poster.

As you have only replied to the other person's thread within the past hour or so, a bit more time might be needed to get the solution to you.

I'm sure that pbust will reply to this thread (and to your PMs) as soon as he is able to do so, and that he will send you the link to the new version to try the fix.

FWIW This is an internet forum, not an instant messaging service. ;)

2 other things:

1) MBAE is BETA software.  So, instability, bugs and problems are to be expected.  I'm sure the staff appreciate your willingness to test it.  However, if you are not comfortable with that, then it might be best to wait until MBAE is released in a public, stable version?

2) Posting in all caps in an internet forum is considered shouting and is frowned upon.

Please try to be patient.

Thanks for your understanding.

I'm sure pbust and the other staff and expert members will help you as soon as possible,

daledoc1

daledoc1

My apologies for posting in all caps. I mistakenly had my CAPS LOCK button on. I did not mean to offend. I will await a reply from Pedro.

Richard

OK, thanks.

In the meantime, have you tried the workaround (obtaining your updates via Windows Update, not IE)?

The problems only happens on XP and with IE-driven Windows Updates, not with the automatic updates.

I can't personally vouch for it, as I am running neither XP nor MBAE, but perhaps it might work for you?

Take care,

daledoc1

daledoc1

I do not understand your statement: "In the meantime, have you tried the workaround (obtaining your updates via Windows Update, not IE)?"

I don't understand how to do that. When I open Windows Update, IE automatically opens to run the Microsoft program. Can you explain exactly how I can do what you have suggested?

Thanks,

Richard