Due to inclement weather in Southwest Florida, our Clearwater support team is offline. Our other offices are available to assist you, however their responses may be delayed. We appreciate your patience and understanding during this time. ×

MBAM "Not responding"

I have used MBAM for years with no trouble as a desktop manual scanner. I liked it and trusted it.

In the past few months, MBAM has repeatedly gone into "Not responding", sometimes after being almost finished and sometimes after just a few minutes.

I have uninstalled it and re-installed it, but it made no difference. So finally I have dumped it completely, left-overs and all.

When I searched the web on "Malwarebytes not responding", there were so many items on the issue that I gave up. Some of the measures proposed and tried to fix the problem were horrendous and appeared to verge on a computer wrecking procedure. Far easier to just get rid of MBAM and have done with it, rather than go through complicated gymnastics that may cause irreversible harm to the existing system, for just a single program "not responding"

Any comments ? 

Hi, Wittmann: :)

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
Until the staff arrives...

"Not Responding" is such a non-specific message that could affect any program or application on any computer. :(
For MBAM, it could be due to software conflicts (e.g. other security applications), system configuration issues, hardware issues (e.g. corrupt hard drive sectors, insufficient RAM or other problems), corrupt files, or even malware.
Some of this is explained in this FAQ post >>HERE<<.

There's no way to know for sure without obtaining at least some basic information about your system.
In nearly all cases I've seen here at the forum, there is at least one explanation and solution for most users.
So, there's no need to throw in the towel just yet.

If you would like the MBAM staff to help to troubleshoot this, I suggest that you please run the following non-invasive, diagnostic scanners and attach the logs to your next reply.
The forum Root Admin, AdvancedSetup, or one of the other experts will review them & advise you.

Thanks,

daledoc1
----------------------------

STEP 1
Please run the DDS scanner and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include both of the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
  • You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file and just post it or attach it.

STEP 2
Please run mbam-check and send back the log as an attachment to your next reply.

• Download mbam-check.exe from HERE and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please do not copy and paste the entire contents of the log into your next post; instead please attach to your next reply the CheckResults.txt log file which should now be located on your desktop.

STEP 3
Please run the FRST tool and send back both logs as attachments to your next reply.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatible with your system. If you are not sure which version applies to your system, download both of them and try to run them. The one that runs will be the right version.

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please attach it to your next reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your next reply.

@ daledoc1

Thanks a lot for replying so quickly. Your remedy looks frightening. Makes me a little nervous to try it just for a simple "not responding".

I use Windows XP Home with SP3, Google Chrome default browser, PrivateFirewall, AVG 2014, Sandboxie to open browser, KeyScrambler and SpywareBlaster as catcher. Obviously if MBAM has some  conflict with any of my programs, there is nothing I can do, since they have all been permanent tenants for a very long time with no trouble.

Hi:

Note: Nothing in my earlier reply is a "remedy" -- the staff need to obtain some basic info about your system first. :)

That will help to determine the cause for your issue.

Then they will be able to assist with a solution.

It looks harder than it is.

It's just broken down into little steps.

Let's start with just step 1, the DDS tool.

It will only take a few minutes.

Perhaps print out the instructions?

Then just take your time, one step at a time.

If you can at least get to the point of having run DDS, post back and we'll help you post the logs back here for review.

Hope this helps,

daledoc1

Dear Daledoc,

Your response has been excellent and gratefully appreciated.

I understand the techniques of problem analysis, they can get a little complicated with all the interlocking, compatible and incompatible, continually changing programs of computer systems.

If MBAM  was a primary program, then of course I would be very concerned and eager to find a cure, but it is not. it is in my case, simply an accessory. As stated earlier, I have used MBAM for many years as an optional manual ad-lib sweeper on my desktop. I use MBAM whenever I feel that a cautionary scan is necessary, probably twice per week and usually the quick scan.

I have other similar AV programs which perform the same function in excellent style with no trouble.

Obviously over the years there has been a monumental change in all programs and inter-compatibility has probably suffered with some. As my system is working perfectly, there is nothing I can do to correct the MBAM problem and I doubt if you can fix MBAM just for a few users where the "no responding" problem has occurred.

So with great regret, I must for the time being lose MBAM and resort to using the other manual programs I have for this purpose. With my security package of Sandboxie, AVG 2014, PrivateFirewall and SpywareBlaster etc. I have no fears whatsoever of infections and have never found any, other than minor insignificant ones in many scans over a very long time.

So I thank you for your efforts in trying to help me, but the procedure is not worth the trouble and reluctantly I must lose MBAM. A case of diminishing returns.

Thank you so much.

Wittmann

OK, then.

I'm pretty sure our forum Admin would have been able to help you.

But he would need some basic data in order to do so.

Feel free to post back with the logs at any time and he or someone else will be happy to help.

One other thing you might try is Method 2 here: MBAM Clean Removal Process.

I know you said you tried reinstalling several times.

However, if you did so without using the mbam-clean removal utility and rebooting, it might not have worked properly.

It will only take a minute or two.

Take care,

daledoc1

Hello Daledoc,

I used Revo Uninstaller, which uses the normal MBAM program uninstall, but then scoops up all left-overs, including the Registry.

There were no records of MBAM left when finished deleting the search.

• 3 months later...

It was last March since I raised this thread due to MBAM repeatedly "not responding" and with no answer in sight, I deleted it and have given it a long rest in hope that the bugs have been sorted out.

Today I had another try with MBAM. All went perfect until it got to Heuristics Analysis. Then it went on forever.  I tried 4 times and it just kept plodding on into eternity every time. The last time it was 2.1/2 hours with no end in sight, before I stopped the scan. So I dumped MBAM yet again.

I did like the new style and scan format and when it went down the scan items giving each one a green tick, I thought it looked marvelous. Until it got to the last item - Heuristics analysis, THEN it stuck and chonked on forever towards its infinite target.

I am not prepared to make a career out of pulling my PC apart just to try and find what is wrong with MBAM. My PC is working perfectly well without it and unless somebody can advise me what is wrong with MBAM and how to make it work, without suggesting major surgery to my PC, then my perfection stays as it is.

I did switch off my main AV 2014 before starting MBAM and checked that my FW was not interfering with it.

Another stupid aspect of MBAM is that it does not include a "stop scan", so that any threats found up to stoppage are at least listed and made available for manual treatment such as Quarantine, instead of wasting all that useless time.

To just have a CANCEL and then the entire productive scan is cleared to a blank sheet, is an unbelievably ignorant way to design a program.

Hello and :welcome:

Let's try this first (can not really help without logs)....

Thank You,

Firefox

Hello and :welcome:

Let's try this first (can not really help without logs)....

Thank You,

Firefox

That looks very interesting and I will try it just as you say.

BUT before I do, please tell me roughly HOW LONG in minutes the Heuristics Analysis scan takes.

This I  must have some idea of. I Cannot wait for ever, expecting the scan to finish and see the hours mount up.

My guess is that the Heuristics Analysis is a short scan, just a few minutes.

I must say thank  you for that  promising post. When you tell me how long that HA scan should take, I will have a go.

How long it takes is hard to tell as it will vary from computer to computer, but it should not be in hours....

Also have you tried scanning with Scan for rootkits disabled? Are you using any sort of encryption on this computer?

Having looked at the web about Heuristic scanning, it sounds like it is a lengthy process.

In my view, if Heuristics Analysis scanning takes a long time, then THAT feature of MBAM`s scan sequence should be made OPTIONAL. After all, the normal file scan has been completed, which is good enough for most AV`s. 

I am not aware that I have any encryption enabled except for KeyScrambler, which was disabled during the MBAM scanning.

Quite honestly, whilst I would love MBAM back (I had it for many years), it just is not worth the effort and until the Heuristics Analysis scan is made optional, then I do not particularly want a scanner that chonks on for hours.

I have carried out your instructions as per the previous post and no change - MBAM still stuck on Heuristics for ages.

I would love to know why this is happening, but as I already have 2 standalone AV`s, plus my AV 2014, it just is not worth the time and effort to resolve it. So yet again, MBAM must go in the bin for another few months.

Thank you so much for your readiness to help on this.

After all, the normal file scan has been completed, which is good enough for most AV`s.

BTW Malwarebytes is not an Antivirus software....

but as I already have 2 standalone AV`s, plus my AV 2014, it just is not worth the time and effort to resolve it. So yet again, MBAM must go in the bin for another few months.

Malwarebytes is not going to turn off Heuristics Analysis... also part of your problem may be that you have more than one antivirus program running...

That being said, we really can not provide any further assistance without the 3 log files requested so we can really see what's going on under the hood...

BTW Malwarebytes is not an Antivirus software....

Malwarebytes is not going to turn off Heuristics Analysis... also part of your problem may be that you have more than one antivirus program running...

That being said, we really can not provide any further assistance without the 3 log files requested so we can really see what's going on under the hood...

My use of AV was not intended as a technical definition of MBAM, it was simply a literal licence. Surely MBAM detects a virus, otherwise what use is it at all ?

NO I do not have more than one AV running at the same time, just AV 2014, which as I said is switched off when MBAM is doing its scan. Other AV programs I have are used entirely manually as requested.

I never suggested that MBAM turn off Heuristics, just that it be made optional. Not everybody has the time to wait for MBAM taking hours just to scan their PC.

Almost every other AV (pardon the expression, but I like it) program available gives a choice of scans, Quick, Deep, Custom, but MBAM give no choice at all - take it or leave it eh ? Not really very flexible and rather autocratic.

Obviously  there is something with my set-up that MBAM  does not like. Well my PC works perfectly without MBAM and my other standalone AV`s (OOPS,  sorry, there I go again) accommodate themselves very nicely without giving any trouble.

I can live quite happily without having to disrupt my present furniture to make room for MBAM.

Finally, I  would reiterate that it is absolutely ridiculous for a program to spend significant time scanning and only provide a CANCEL button. Very poor design actually. Then when the CANCEL is hit, all the threats found so far are lost, thereby achieving an ingeniously engineered waste of time all round. There should be a STOP SCAN which then saves all the threats found up to that point for manual selected treatment. 

Thanks for your help, but I reckon I will stick with more professional and trouble-free programs and leave MBAM for those particularly who fancy it.

Oh by the way, almost  every Forum on Planet Earth provide an "Edit" for their posts. I cannot  find such a feature here, but then it is a MB Forum and obviously they know best.

Thanks for the reply...

Detection of viruses is mainly the job of your antivirus software, Malwarebytes detects Malware, its a second line of defense to detect what your AV may not.

Some antivirus programs even though they may be turned off still load components that could cause conflicts between them an cause problems with your computer.

Perhaps Malwarebytes will consider your suggestion as to turning off Heuristics, although that is one of the best features for detecting some hidden malware and some of the latest threats...

Malwarebytes does have options for different scan types. See below....

The new scan names are a bit confusing to those of us used to the naming scheme in MBAM 1.75, but this should help.

Threat scan ==> quick scan

Custom scan ==> partial or Full scan - depending upon what you choose to scan.

Hyper scan ==> Flash scan (only available for registered PRO users).

You can read the manual below to understand all functions of the new version....

http://www.malwarebytes.org/support/guides/mbam/

Download PDF

http://downloads.malwarebytes.org/asset/mbamuserguide.pdf

NOTE: There is an FAQ section with valuable information located here:

Common Questions, Issues, and their Solutions

As for using Malwarebytes on your computer or not, well that's totally up to you, I am only simply trying to answer your questions.

Also Malwarebytes Forum does have an edit feature, they just have it disabled for new folks on the forum as it has been abused in the past, you will get that option once your post count reaches X number of posts...

Thanks

@ Firefox

A million thanks Firefox, you have been more than helpful on this matter and given me a lot of information which I am very grateful for, with no kicks.

I must say that I was rather annoyed with MBAM, because each of the 5  times or so I ran it,  80 threats were licked up - all PUP`s and these were lost when I had to call a halt to my aging process by hitting CANCEL.

My other AV`s do not pick up these PUP`s although on their check listing of scan items, PUP`s are specified. Obviously they cannot be very important, but seeing them listed and then PUFF ! they are gone was a bit irritating. Like the Donkey and the carrot.

I`ll give MBAM another try in a few months, but am not seething with optimism. We  don`t seem to be very happy bed pals.

Thank you so much and Bye for now.

Wittmann

OK, I tried once again with MBAM. This time it took 40 minutes to find 30 PUP`s instead of 80 PUP`s like the last 4 times. I have no idea where the other 50 have gone.

I have  following the "diagnostics" request and have hopefully attached the 3 files you need.

These files mean nothing to me, but hopefully they do to you and perhaps you now can find out why your Heuristics Analysis scan runs on forever and has to be stopped by hitting the CANCEL button, thereby losing all the threats found up to that point.

I tried to "attach" these 3 files which are large and MBAM politely told me this;-

• FRST.exe

You aren't permitted to upload this kind of file

Now please, I did everything you ask, then when I try to upload the files you need - I  am told THIS !

I cannot copy/paste these files they are too BIG ! NOW what do we do ? Whilst I would  honestly love MBAM on my system, I will not make a career out of getting it.

Where do we go from here ? You suggestions for uploading 3 massive  files are eagerly awaited.

These 3 diagnostic files are sitting on my desktop.

Is there any way your system will accept them ? Can I extract a portion of them which will get past your 50 MB limit ?

I  would love to know why your Heuristics Analysis  scan chonks on forever and Not to place the threats found before the CANCEL button is pressed in your quarantine, seems rather a ridiculous waste of time.

Hello Wittmann:

It is not the FRST.exe executable file we wish to see. Instead, please attach the following 3 output diagnostic text files:

1. CheckResults.txt
2. FRST.txt
3. Addition.txt

Note: The 3 text files need not be zipped.

Thank you. :)

Hello Wittmann:

The logs indicate the computer is probably in need of clean-up of issues not permitted in this sub-forum.

I recommend following the advice from the topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and have one of the Malware Removal Experts assist you with your issue.

If, as recommended, you do open a topic in Malware Removal Help, please make reference to this thread.

Hello Wittmann:

The logs indicate the computer is probably in need of clean-up of issues not permitted in this sub-forum.

I recommend following the advice from the topic: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and have one of the Malware Removal Experts assist you with your issue.

If, as recommended, you do open a topic in Malware Removal Help, please make reference to this thread.

Now it is my turn to say THANK YOU for getting  rid of my worry. I see IT has gone. If you want those 3 files sent in again, it is my pleasure to do so, but a little more confidential than how I did it before.

I have raised a thread on  Malware Removal Help as you suggested and hope it gets some results.

A Zillion thanks for all your help.

Wittmann