Problem with IE, Network Connection & PC issues

KPP

Hi Ron,

Thanks for the note. Yes, you're right. It does happen frequently with the new application. Problem is I can only access it for training and scoring. I finished training, and I won't be scoring again for at least a month,

I have to limit the search for a solution outside of that. All I can think of is either: 1) Wait for it to happen again, or 2) take my computer and leave it on somewhere else and see if it happens again. I have been keeping my Yahoo mail open to see if it's affected.

I'm wondering if we can start with the premise that it may be a provider issue. What would the next step be? I can change providers if need be.

In the meantime, can we fix some of the issues I'm having with IE?  Tonight the address bar has been disappearing, along with the taskbar, so I can't minimize anything. All I can do is use the Task Manager to close open pages.

Thanks,

Kate

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ron,

It just happened again. I was writing a note in Yahoo mail. Since I could not minimize it, I had to go into Task Manager and close it. Simultaneously, the normal popup appeared. This time it just automatically searched for a solution and restarted, leaving a popup bar at the bottom to "restore session."

Edited by KPP

• Root Admin

I'm going to move your post to the malware removal forum and we can look at other things.

Thanks Kate but it really has no bearing when it happens in your house.  We're trying to isolate it out and see if it's an issue with your router or not.  Using it at another location outside your home will help us to isolate the issue.

I'll tell you what - please go ahead and run the following for me and I'll take a look at the logs for you.   But I'm not expecting to find much of an issue as I'm currently thinking it may be a router issue.

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.

• Make sure the following options are checked:
    • Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

Next, Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following check-boxes:

• Flush DNS
  • Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Reset IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • Reset FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using Reset FF Proxy Settings option Firefox should be closed.

Attached are the Farbar .txt file and the Mini Tool Box. Suddenly, a warning appeared from MBAM. It came and went so fast I couldn't read what it said. But I looked in the MBAM log and found something (attached).

MBAM popped up again and blocked the same thing. Huh?

protection-log-2014-02-18.txt

Result.txt

FSS.txt

Edited by KPP

• Root Admin

Okay let's go ahead and scan this system for malware. The one entry that MBAM found should have been removed but let's look for other stuff too now.

Please go ahead and run through the following steps and post back the logs when ready.

STEP 03

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit from here

• Unzip the contents to a folder in a convenient location.
  • Open the folder where the contents were unzipped and run mbar.exe
  • Follow the instructions in the wizard to update and allow the program to scan your computer for threats.
  • Click on the Cleanup button to remove any threats and reboot if prompted to do so.
  • Wait while the system shuts down and the cleanup process is performed.
  • Perform another scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to verify that no threats remain. If they do, then click Cleanup once more and repeat the process.
  • When done, please post the two logs produced they will be in the MBAR folder... mbar-log.txt and system-log.txt
STEP 04

Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.

• Shutdown your antivirus to avoid any conflicts.
  • Right click over JRT.exe and select Run as administrator on Windows Vista or Windows 7, double-click on XP.
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next reply message
  • When completed make sure to re-enable your antivirus
STEP 05

Lets clean out any adware now: (this will require a reboot so save all your work)

Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.

• Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.

Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator

• Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • When it's done you'll see: Pending: Please uncheck elements you don't want removed.
  • Now click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • Look over the log especially under Files/Folders for any program you want to save.
  • If there's a program you may want to save, just uncheck it from AdwCleaner.
  • If you're not sure, post the log for review. (all items found are adware/spyware/foistware)
  • If you're ready to clean it all up.....click the Clean button.
  • After rebooting, a logfile report (AdwCleaner[s0].txt) will open automatically.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of that logfile will also be saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder.
  • Items that are deleted are moved to the Quarantine Folder: C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine
  • To restore an item that has been deleted:
  • Go to Tools > Quarantine Manager > check what you want restored > now click on Restore.
Then..................

Open up Malwarebytes > Settings Tab > Scanner Settings > Under action for PUP > Select: Show in Results List and Check for removal.

Please Update and run a Quick Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, post the report.

Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.

STEP 06

button_eos.gif

Please go here to run the online antivirus scannner from ESET.

• Turn off the real time scanner of any existing antivirus program while performing the online scan
  • Tick the box next to YES, I accept the Terms of Use.
  • Click Start
  • When asked, allow the activex control to install
  • Click Start
  • Make sure that the option Remove found threats is unticked
  • Click on Advanced Settings and ensure these options are ticked:
    • Scan for potentially unwanted applications
    • Scan for potentially unsafe applications
    • Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Click Scan
  • Wait for the scan to finish
  • If any threats were found, click the 'List of found threats' , then click Export to text file....
  • Save it to your desktop, then please copy and paste that log as a reply to this topic.
STEP 07

Please download the Farbar Recovery Scan Tool and save it to your desktop.

Note: You need to run the version compatibale with your system. You can check here if you're not sure if your computer is 32-bit or 64-bit

• Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.
  • Press the Scan button.
  • It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.
  • The first time the tool is run, it also makes another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply as well.

Ron,

Attached are the MBAM logs. BTW, that malware appeared almost simultaneously upon my downloading the Mini Tool Box. Do you want me to run some of the above for the 2nd time. I ran Farbar just 2 days ago and it seems I did JRT as well.

I do an MBAM scan daily. Yesterday, I did two additional scans,both before and after our activity.

mbar-log-2014-02-18 (17-46-07).txt

system-log.txt

Ron, :)

<red-faced> Oops. I have been waiting hours for AdwCleaner to finish running. Seems it's been waiting all this time for me. I just hit scan and and waited. A minute ago, I noticed there was a line saying. "Pending. Please uncheck elements you don't want to remove." I have no idea what to do now.

Kate :blink:

Ron,

I wrote a post to you and was waiting to hear back. But looking here, I don't see my post. Sorry for the missed communication.

What I wanted to know was how better to use AdwCleaner so as not to delete files I want. Seems to me, it listed a few files that I wanted to keep, before it cleaned my computer. I got stuck there.

I'll re-look at it again, and see if I can figure it out. I looked and I can't. After I do the scan, it tells me to decide which files I want to keep. But I cannot locate a list of files anywhere.

Also, I asked if you wanted me to rerun programs I've already run.

Kate

Ron,

Nothing is showing up in AdwCleaner now. I had already tried all the tabs. I'm gonna go ahead and click "Clean."

I guess the next step is the ESET scan.. I've already done Farbar. Do you want me to repeat it?

As to my current issues, I don't know if you're referring to AdwCleaner or with my connection. My current issues in general are the same as they were when I posted this thread. My connection keeps getting dropped.. There are some other irritating but lesser issues with IE, and I can send you the laundry list if interested.

Thanks.

Kate

P.s. I'll be offline for 1-2 hrs and then back for the night.

• Root Admin

If you start the computer in Safe Mode does it drop the connection?

I still say you really need to take your laptop to another friends house and connect to THEIR network and run it for a bit and see if it drops the connection or not. As it is we don't know if it's your laptop or your router that is doing it.

Yes please go ahead and post back the logs if you have them and I'll take a look at them.

Ron,

I will check with my neighbors tomorrow. I barely know them, so I've been reluctant to do that. But I will.

I haven't tried running my computer in safe mode. Do you suggest I do that? Can I still connect with IE?

I will post any logs that I get ... but in answer to my question ... should I run Farbar again? I ran it a couple of days ago, as you instructed..

I did call one neighbor who has a wired connection. Is it simply a matter of unplugging her computer and plugging in mine? Maybe she'll let me do it overnight.

thanks,

Kate

• Root Admin

I don't really need the FRST log right now.  I'm more interested in see if your connection remains solid while in SAFE MODE or when taken over to your friends home

Yes, typically nothing special.  If you have an Ethernet cable you can bring it and plug into her router pretty easily and get an IP automatically and test it out.

Ron,.

This is the only file that shows up after a scan by AdwCleaner: 

##### C:\Users|Kate\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefpx\Profiles\nbhpjhm.defaulpref.js  #####

I will knock on everyone's door tomorrow until I get this done!!

Questions: When you say "get an IP autiomatically," does that mean the  machine takes over & I don't have to do anything?

When you say "test it out" do you mean look to see error occurs. Since I won't be with the computer. Is there an error log file that will record this info?

Should I restart in Safe Mode? How does this affect the computer/

Thanks,

Kate

Edited by KPP

• Root Admin

Yes automatic means it should get on the Internet without you doing anything special if it's plugged into an Ethernet cable to the router.

Well you need to use and browse with your computer some while your at her house to try and test it out.

Yes, she won't be able to use it otherwise without it being in her possession.

Yes that log is fine.  I did not expect to find anything bad there really.

Thanks again.  I'll be out and about off and on over the weekend but will check back when I can.

Thanks

Ron,

I don't think I followed your directions correctly before the ESET scan, which has been running for quite a while and has completed only 33%.

I don't think I "unticked" the "remove threats" option, and it is showing 2 infected files. Should I go on ... or turn it off and start over?

Kate