Non-printable characters in the Log file?!?

Why to al my log entries have non-printable characters between the characters in the log messages? This is REALLY inconvenient, as I need to copy and paste occasionally from this log file.  Example:

�2�0�1�4�/�0�2�/�0�7� �1�2�:�2�1�:�1�3� �-�0�6�0�0� �C�O�R�P� �R� �I�P�-�B�L�O�C�K� �9�3�.�1�1�5�.�8�2�.�5�4� �(�T�y�p�e�:� �o�u�t�g�o�i�n�g�,� �P�o�r�t�:� �5�5�8�1�5�,� �P�r�o�c�e�s�s�:� �r�u�b�y�w�.�e�x�e�)�

Hello, you will not be able to edit your post until you have reached at least 100 posts counts, this is due to abuse. As for your errors, can you post one of your log files so we can take a look at it as well as post the logs requested below....

Please run the tools below and ATTACH (do not copy and paste) the logs so someone can better assist you.

Please post an mbam-check log:

Create an mbam-check log:

• Download mbam-check.exe from here and save it to your desktop
  • Double-click on mbam-check.exe to run it, it should then open a log file
  • Please attach the CheckResults.txt file which should now be located on your desktop to your next reply
Next:

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply "as an attachment": DDS.txt and Attach.txt

You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

There is a lot more going on with this computer that will have to be address by one of our experts, as you have some services failing as well as some PUP that need some attention. The tools that need to be run to help you fix your issues can not be run in this section of the forum, therefore please follow the instructions below....

Being that you are probably infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

Thanks, I have made that post here. However, as regards the non-printable spaces, this is probably a programming bug as the mbam-log files do not have these non-printable spaces while the protection-log files do.

Thanks for the suggestion and I made that post here, but I think this is a programming error in the 4/4/2013 PRO build as the mbam-log files look OK and the protection-log files do not.

Hi:

but I think this is a programming error in the 4/4/2013 PRO build as the mbam-log files look OK and the protection-log files do not.

Your protection logs submitted earlier in this thread display fine on my system.

If it were a programming error in a software build dating to April 2013, I would presume there would have been many, many thousands of reports about it here at the forum, no? :)

In any event, the experts over in the malware removal section will help you to get your computer cleaned up.

(S)he can assist you with reinstalling MBAM to resolve any minor corruption issues, as part of that process.

Please stay with that post until your helper gives you the "all-clear".

If there are any issues related to the installation or operation of MBAM when you are done there, your helper may refer you back here or to the help desk, if needed.

Cheers,

daledoc1

Hi:

Your protection logs submitted earlier in this thread display fine on my system.

What are you using to read them? I didn't say I couldn't read them, I just said, there are non-printable characters and these DO NOT show up in the other logs, only the protection logs.

Just Windows Notepad.

But any application that can work with .TXT files should work.

There are no non-printable characters when I do.

So, the problem does NOT appear to be with MBAM per se, as the log file it creates is fine.

We'll have to wait for Firefox to return, but I am quite certain he had no problem with the file, either.

There may be something going on with your system, as Firefox pointed out.

In any event, please stay with your other topic over in the malware removal section -- your helper will run the necessary tools with you to help you sort it out.

Cheers,

daledoc1

I see the problem now. The text stream is encoded properly on the MBAM files and not on the PROTECTION files. 

"The byte order mark (BOM) is a Unicode character used to signal the endianness (byte order) of a text file or stream. It is encoded at U+FEFF byte order mark (BOM). BOM use is optional, and, if used, should appear at the start of the text stream. Beyond its specific use as a byte-order indicator, the BOM character may also indicate which of the several Unicode representations the text is encoded in.[1]

Because Unicode can be encoded as 16-bit or 32-bit integers, a computer receiving these encodings from arbitrary sources needs to know which byte order the integers are encoded in." - Wikipedia

The FFFE appears at the start of the MBAM files but not at the start of the PROTECTION files, making the visualization of the text stream subject to the interpretation of the particular editor or reader application you are using.

So, someone chose a different file open method when writing the protection files than whoever coded the writing of the mbam files (IMHO)>

Hi:

Glad you sorted that out.

Nonetheless, it would probably still be a good idea to follow Firefox's expert advice:

There is a lot more going on with this computer that will have to be address by one of our experts, as you have some services failing as well as some PUP that need some attention. The tools that need to be run to help you fix your issues can not be run in this section of the forum, therefore please follow the instructions below....

Being that you are probably infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

It's up to you, of course.

The expert help is free and will only cost you a bit of your time.

Take care,

daledoc1

• Root Admin

Thanks, I have made that post here. However, as regards the non-printable spaces, this is probably a programming bug as the mbam-log files do not have these non-printable spaces while the protection-log files do.

No there is probably something else going on.  I do understand the BOM but these are mine from Protection logs (as well as the thousands of logs you can research on the web that also work just fine without displaying non printable characters).  Someone should help you with your other topic soon.  If no one has replied by the end of the day tomorrow please send me a private message and I'll check on it for you.

2014/02/09 03:38:13 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Executing scheduled update:  Hourly | Silent

2014/02/09 03:38:16 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Scheduled update executed successfully:  database updated from version v2014.02.09.01 to version v2014.02.09.02

2014/02/09 03:38:16 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Starting database refresh

2014/02/09 03:38:20 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Database refreshed successfully

2014/02/09 07:20:46 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Executing scheduled update:  Hourly | Silent

2014/02/09 07:20:51 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Scheduled update executed successfully:  database updated from version v2014.02.09.02 to version v2014.02.09.04

2014/02/09 07:20:51 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Starting database refresh

2014/02/09 07:20:54 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Database refreshed successfully

2014/02/09 11:20:02 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Executing scheduled update:  Hourly | Silent

2014/02/09 11:20:06 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Scheduled update executed successfully:  database updated from version v2014.02.09.04 to version v2014.02.09.06

2014/02/09 11:20:06 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Starting database refresh

2014/02/09 11:20:09 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Database refreshed successfully

2014/02/09 15:20:10 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Executing scheduled update:  Hourly | Silent

2014/02/09 15:20:14 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Scheduled update executed successfully:  database updated from version v2014.02.09.06 to version v2014.02.09.07

2014/02/09 15:20:14 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Starting database refresh

2014/02/09 15:20:17 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Database refreshed successfully

2014/02/09 19:19:12 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Executing scheduled update:  Hourly | Silent

2014/02/09 19:19:13 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Database already up-to-date

2014/02/09 22:50:23 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Starting database refresh

2014/02/09 22:50:25 -0800    MB    AS    MESSAGE    Database refreshed successfully