Still Infected? I don't know?!?

Still having the reboot issue - are you still seeing any virus stuff? btw dial-a-fix didn't show any disabled policies to fix.

The only thing I can think of unrelated to the virus is the Mcafee uninstall. I also had a bad uninstall of a linksys driver gtgina.dll but that predates the logoff problem by many months.

what do you think?

I fixed a few things in your Runscanner log.

Now, I want you to fix those same autostart items by using the RUN file that I have attached with items marked for deletion:

• Please download the attached and zipped Runscanner RUN file called runscanner_steve.run and unzip it to to your Runscanner folder
  • Open Runscanner again, but this time select the Expert Mode radiobutton.
  • Click the "Open Run File" button
  • Browse to "runscanner_steve.run" (the run file you just downloaded) located in the Runscaner folder, and click Open
  • The screen will refresh after the run file loads
  • Click the "Item Fixer" button
  • The items selected to be fixed will be displayed and checked for removal
  • Click "Fix Selected items"
  • Confirm that you want to fix these items by clicking OK to the confirmation in the dialog box.
  • You will receive a "Done fixing items" message when removal is complete.
  • Reboot
  • Launch Runscanner again, save another .RUN File called runscanner_steve2.run
  • Attach a zipped runscanner_steve2.run to your next reply please.

You need to download the current version of Adobe Acrobat (v 9.1) here:

http://get.adobe.com/reader/

You Runscanner log indicates you are using the shell extension for version 7.0

runscanner_steve.zip

runscanner_steve.zip

I didn't see anything thing obviously wrong in the Runscanner log, so I just removed some items which were not required from your registry.

Now, let's use a more aggressive tool called CCleaner. Before doing that, please follow the directions here to Manually Create a System Restore Point, because we are going to use a tool that will delete items from your registry. You can always use this restore point to reverse changes made, if any issues develop.

Download Crap Cleaner 2.18.878 by clicking the Latest Version arrow on the right.

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/Download

Double-click ccsetup218.exe to launch the installer

1. Note: CCleaner installs the Yahoo Toolbar as an option which IS checkmarked by default during the installation. IF you do NOT want it, When the install options are presented, UNCHECK the last install option to "Add CCleaner Yahoo! Toolbar and use CCLeaner from your browser".

2. Launch CCleaner - Before first use, select Options > Advanced and UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"

3. Then select the items you wish to clean up.

In the Windows Tab:

* Clean all entries in the "Internet Explorer" section except Cookies if you want to keep those.

* Clean all the entries in the "Windows Explorer" section.

* Clean all entries in the "System" section.

* Clean all entries in the "Advanced" section.

* Clean any others that you choose.

In the Applications Tab:

* Clean all except cookies in the Firefox/Mozilla section if you use it.

* Clean all in the Opera section if you use it.

* Clean Sun Java in the Internet Section.

* Clean any others that you choose.

4. Click the "Run Cleaner" button.

5. A pop up box will appear advising this process will permanently delete files from your system.

6. Click "OK" and it will scan and clean your system.

7. Click "exit" when done.

============

Click the Registry Toolbar icon

Under "Registry Integrity" in the left pane - place a checkmark next to all items

Nexy, Uncheck "unused file extensions" and "fonts"

Click Scan for Issues -> Scan

Fix all issues found, and say yes when prompted to back up removed items to the registry taking care to remember where you placed the backup REG file

After CCleaner is finished, reboot and see if any issues have improved.

Sorry for the slow response. I was a little tentative with the CCleaner but after spending some time understanding it I have spent some time using it trying to troubleshoot.

First of all it deleted a lot of registry keys and a lot of files. I was wondering if any of it was essential but but rebooted fine, so it was all junk apparently.

It seemed to have fixed the problem at first, but it came back after several reboots. I ran it again and once again there were a lot of registry keys with cryptic alphanumeric names. Deleted registry files again and same thing. Worked right but after several reboots it reoccurred.

Next round not much in the registry or files, but cleaned again with the same result - fine for a few boots then issues.

May be nothing, but I have noticed something is creating files on reboot in C:\Documents and Settings\Steve\Local Settings\Temp - a different name each boot like ~DBF321.TMP. You can delete older ones but the file for the current boot can't be deleted since it is in use. Could be Avira or ZA maybe? I don't know. Almost ready to back up my data files and reformat - ugh.

I have used CCleaner with no problems both for cleaning clutter and resolving registry issues.

Although I am not a fan of running Registry cleaners or optimizers without cause, from personal experience I have found CCleaner to be quite safe. The fact that it backs up registry keys before any changes are made, makes it even more so.

Those files ~DBF*.TMP (ie e ~DBF321.TMP) files are a normal occurrence.

Before reformatting you should try to determine whether your logon issues are due to a hardware problem.

One thing we can try is looking at your event logs to see what errors register after an unsuccessful logon attempt. You should acquire the system and application event logs immediately - once you are finally able to logon, after an unsuccessful restart.

Please post the System and Application event logs:

• Click start | run | then paste or type eventvwr.msc and
    then hit Enter.
  • When the Event Viewer opens, in the left pane click on
    Event Viewer.
  • It will expand to show you four log choices:
    Application, Security, System, and Internet Explorer.
  • Double-click "System" and the right pane will refresh to display System events only.
  • Right-click on "System" then choose "Save Log File As" and then save the system event log as mysystem.evt
  • Repeat the above procedure for the Application event log
  • Right-click on "Application" then choose "Save Log File As" and then save the Application event log as myapp.evt
  • Place both logs in a folder called myevents
  • Zip up the folder myevents using WinZip or another zipping utility
  • Next, use the "AddReply" button and upload the zipped system and application event logs (myevents.zip as an attachment in your next reply.

You can also try doing a chkdsk and memory test to verify your RAM is OK.

I would also recommend doing running system file checker ( SFC scannow):

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Or a repair install before resorting to a full R&R:

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm