[SOLVED] MBAE fails to open FF, VLC and Adobe reader on first try, XP SP3 W/ LUA

bobsd90

I have been using MBAE for the last two versions on a Windows XP SP3 system (Lenovo T60) with recent updates along with EMET 4.0 and EMET 4.1, Avira free A/V. I  am running  as a limited user except for installing  programs under my admin account. After installing MBAE and rebooting If I start Firefox 20.0 (with adblock + and noscript with some misc display plugins), Adobe Reader XI (latest version - sandbox protections with enhanced seciurity) and VLC 2.1 -  with process monitor I see the MBAE dll installed  but no window appears. Killing the process and restarting the application works correctly. My Office 2003 programs seem to work fine. I also see this after a resume from standby sometimes ( like just now when starting Adobe reader but VLC and FF worked fine). I currently use  a LUA and SRP configuration but the problem still occured with SRP disabled.

Before Updating MBAE, I uninstalled  the previous version and removed all files from the program directory, but the problem occurred with my original install too.

I uninstalled EMET 4.1 and rebooted, All The applications started up with no issues with MBAE only enabled. The EMET install was pretty much default for an XP system (DEP optin) with popular programs configured via the XML. I was running XP DEP with only essential programs and services protection as I have a number of programs that do not support DEP. Does MBAE provide the DEP, SEHOP..... coverage for applications similar to EMET? If so I will continue to run only MBAE.

• Staff

Yes this is consistent with certain conflicts already documented on the Known Issues & Conflicts page:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=135127

MBAE provides some additional protections that are not present in EMET such as documented in the FAQs #17 and #18:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=136424

If you can disable certain protections and/or DeepHooks in EMET to make it compatible with MBAE that would be ideal. Otherwise if you had to choose one or another we recommend MBAE as it provides more layers of protection than EMET.