[SOLVED] Crashes in MBAE.dll upon Opera exit

mpawlowski

Hi all,

I've contacted Support but were redirected here, so here goes:

We've been seeing some crash reports from our browser with a stack that suggests a problem in mbae.dll. The stack looks like this:

ntdll.dll!76f9bcfc() Unknown[Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for ntdll.dll]MBAE.dll!708a3b0a() UnknownMBAE.dll!708a3c06() UnknownMBAE.dll!708a3de4() UnknownMBAE.dll!708a3e42() UnknownMBAE.dll!708a8bc8() UnknownMBAE.dll!70894969() UnknownMBAE.dll!708aa885() UnknownMBAE.dll!708aa8c5() UnknownMBAE.dll!70889fdd() UnknownMBAE.dll!7088d8cb() UnknownMBAE.dll!7088d6e9() UnknownMBAE.dll!708918fe() UnknownMBAE.dll!7088fc61() Unknownntdll.dll!76fa2e7e() Unknownntdll.dll!76fa2ed4() Unknownntdll.dll!76fca394() Unknownntdll.dll!76fca247() UnknownKERNEL32.DLL!74df8287() Unknown> opera.exe!__crtExitProcess(int status) Line 708 Copera.exe!doexit(int code, int quick, int retcaller) Line 609 Copera.exe!exit(int code) Line 393 Copera.exe!__tmainCRTStartup() Line 284 CKERNEL32.DLL!74de495d() Unknownntdll.dll!76fa98ee() Unknownntdll.dll!76fa98c4() Unknown

The crash reason is:
"Unhandled exception at 0x76F9BCFC (ntdll.dll) in stack-250980583.dmp: 0xC0000008: An invalid handle was specified.
If there is a handler for this exception, the program may be safely continued."

We don't know what version of mbae.dll was being used. These crashes have been happening across many versions of Opera. First reports are from around November 1st, last is from December 31st, which coincides with the release date of 0.09.5.0250 PREVIEW.
As you can probably tell by the stack, this happens on exit, after we've returned from main so we think the crash is not our fault.
Please let me know if you're aware of this issue or had similar problems before. If you need the crash dump, I'll have to ask around if it's okay.

Also, does MBAE have an autoupdate feature? I'm trying to figure out whether the fact that the crash reports stopped after 31st is the result of you releasing an update on 30th. Would you expect such quick intake of the new version from your users?

• Staff

Welcome to the forum and thanks for reporting.

We think this might be fixed in versions 0.09.5.0250 and above as we did some code cleanup. Please make sure all your users have the latest installed. Sorry but the beta does not have an auto-update feature yet. We will build that later on.

The reason for the hard stop is that the old version expired on Dec 31st and it stopped protecting applications at that point.

When I am a bit too quick to delete private data using Tools -> Delete private data... before Opera has finished doing something, Anti-Exploit can throw up an exploit alert.  This is with Opera 12.16 on Windows XP SP3.  It has occurred on two XP systems.

• Staff

When I am a bit too quick to delete private data using Tools -> Delete private data... before Opera has finished doing something, Anti-Exploit can throw up an exploit alert.  This is with Opera 12.16 on Windows XP SP3.  It has occurred on two XP systems.

With which MBAE version? Please post mbae-default.log.