[SOLVED] Discourtesy

hake

I take a very dim view of Malwarebytes making the beta expire.  It is beneficial and not harmful to let it continue to run until it can be replaced at no particular time.  Let the user judge the matter.

I do not feel inclined to test the betas any further.

• Staff

Sorry to see you go, you've been very helpful and I thank you for all you've done.

To be fair this is not "a Malwarebytes thing". The expiration date was there from the very first ZeroVulnerabilityLabs ExploitShield 0.7 beta over a year ago and way before the Malwarebytes acquisition.

Also at all time on both ZVL and Malwarebytes website we have posted the expiration date in the download page. I haven't checked lately after the new website redesign a few days ago, but it has always been there.

The original purpuse of the expiration date was only intended for two reasons:

1- it is beta and we release new versions frequently which include new protections and bug fixes.

2- the current MBAE doesn't yet have a more modern upgrade mechanism to replace the expiration approach.

I guarantee there was no other hidden or malicious purpose behind the expiration date feature.

I've calmed down now (did I ever need Michael Winner more).  I have installed this on my wife's sister's laptop.  She is 40 miles away.  Hence the panic.

I see that the traybar icon issue seems to have disappeared (unlike the icon) with the latest version.

:)

More feedback to come I promise.

I don't object to the beta expiring.  It was the lack of information about the possibility.

Forewarned is forearmed.  When is version 0.09.5.0250 due to expire?

:blush: 

I want to apologise for starting this thread.  It was unfair as I have never received other than the utmost courtesy and thoughtfulness from Malwarebytes personnel in all my previous communications with the company.

I can only plead that it was an act of impulse when I realised, with some horror, that I had installed the previous Anti-Exploit beta on three computers which were, by the time of the expiry, physically beyond reach.  To my relief, I was able to talk each of the users through uninstallation, thanks to the useful and usable Advanced Uninstaller PRO 11 which made the uninstall procedure simple for these non-tech users to follow.  Thanks also to Malwarebytes for making the beta uninstall so well.

I look forward to observing the fruits of development of the very valuable security tool which Anti-Exploit will become.  For me, the WWW is the greatest threat to the well-being of Windows PCs and to harden the web browser against this attack vector will be a most significant contribution to user privacy and security.

• Staff

Thanks for posting this hake, very much appreciated.

But I have to say we are not without fault here. We shouldn't have left the previous version expire without first releasing a new beta.

Like I have said before, we value having you here as you bring good feedback to the program so thanks again for sticking around! :)