Cant "find" in Win 7 (Search functionality missing)

1metalguru

Hi all:

I have had a problem with Windows 7 for some time now.

The Windows "Search" box is missing from Windows.  I know that sounds weird, but my computer has absolutely no way to search for files.  The Search box that is normally at the bottom of the Start Button popup window is missing, the little Search box normally in the upper right of Explorer windows is not there, in short everywhere you would normally expect to find a "Search" box or "Find" box, there is nothing there.

This has me baffled, I have been through configuration menus, and in general everything I can find to try to enable this, with no sucess.  A Google search turned up precious little, mostly daying to re-install Windows.

Anyone Help?

Darrell

Hi, 1metalguru:

Is this the same computer with which you are getting help over in the malware removal section >>HERE<<?

>>If so, it can create confusion to work on the same computer in 2 different locations simultaneously.

So it would probably be advisable to stick with your helper in that other topic until he gives you the "all clear".
If there are other issues remaining after the malware cleanup, then he might indeed refer you back here for additional help.

>>If it's a different computer, then a good first step would be to post some basic system info.
Please follow the instructions below and attach both DDS logs to your next reply.
They will help the staff/experts to better assist you.

Thanks,

daledoc1
---------------------------

DDS Instructions

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop:
dds.scr
dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once it is downloaded, you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.
Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.
Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.
A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
    • DDS.txt
    • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please attach both of the following logs to your next reply: DDS.txt and Attach.txt
    You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file in most cases.

Go to; Control Panel --> Programs and Features

On the left side of the pane, choose "Turn Windows features on or off"

After it loads, scroll to the bottom of the Features List and check the box for "Windows Search" and then choose "OK".

A Google search turned up precious little, mostly daying to re-install Windows.

That does depend on exactly *how*  you searched...  I find that a Google search for the issue turns up half a million hits, the majority of them including the solution

Note that it's also possible to apply a registry hack to remove/enable the Windows Search Box but my guess is that for you David's tip is indeed the fix :)