AdwCleaner questions and suspicions

Some weeks ago with help (I have Malbytes Pro), I was successfully cleaned of many PUPs.  Note:  when I  d/l AdwCleaner,  a shortcut was placed on my desktop when I ran it from my d/l folder. 

On two different occasion subsequent to that successful purge of PUPs, I have experienced the following that gives me concern about AdwCleaner:

1.  I find a PUP from a Malbytes scan, either Quick or Full and delete the PUP.

2.  I d/l AdwCleaner and run it.  NOTE:  It does not leave a short cut on my desktop.  After having it run it from my d/l folder, If I were to close it, I would have to run it again from my d/l folder.

3.  With AdwCleaner, I do a "scan."  Negative findings.

4.  With AdwCleaner, I do a "clean" anyway.

5.  AdwCleaner does the expected restart of my computer.  I have to do a normal log-in with a password to get to my standard user account.

Note:  For curiosity, I do a search for AdwCleaner in my Windows 7   "search programs and files" window which yields negative findings. 

BIG NOTE:  The next time I should bring up my browser Firefox, rather than get it displaying my normal home page, I surprisingly get two windows:  (1) Welcome to Firefox window, and (2) a Google Search home page.  When I try to reset to my normal home page (using Options and General) from the Google Search page, it does not convert to my normal home page. The only way I have been able to return to my normal home page as my default location of starting my Firefox browser is to use System Restore to get to the computer's earlier status via an earlier date.

Bit Note: This is the latest.......  I did a Malwarebytes Quick Scan and found a PUP quarantined with the following info on it: 

PUP.Optional.Conduit  12/21/2013  9:00 AM  File  C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files(x86)\Conduit\Community Alerts\Alert.dll.vir

Please......any comments on the above notes would be appreciated.

Oh, yes.....I have a subsequent, open ticket.  I wanted to share the above noted items to get a response from others with similar experience.  (1) Is there a question about the authenticity of AdwCleaner ?  Does it make a difference where it gets downloaded from ?  (2)  Is this common not to find it as a program when computer searched for ? (3)  Is it idiosyncratic of my computer (not a phenomonon shared by others) to have my browser home page affected after using AdwCleaner ? (4)  AdwCleaner does not show up via a computer search but shows up nominally within a Malwarebytes scan quarantine.  In fact, as an update to my last post (above), AdwCleaner has otherwise disappeared from my download folder !  

1.  AdwCleaner is a good tool to quickly remove the majority of common ad- and spyware. If you either download it from the original source, this french site, or bleeping computer you're good.
  2. The program is portable and doesn't need to be installed, hence you won't find it in installed programs.
  3. In cleaning it can indeed reset the homepage to defaults (to eliminate home page hijacking by some adware, i.e. yoursearchresults or the like)
  4. When AdwCleaner detects a new version is available it automatically downloads this to the desktop and removes the old version. This is why it disappears from your download folder.

• Staff

Bit Note: This is the latest.......  I did a Malwarebytes Quick Scan and found a PUP quarantined with the following info on it: 

PUP.Optional.Conduit  12/21/2013  9:00 AM  File  C:\AdwCleaner\Quarantine\C\Program Files(x86)\Conduit\Community Alerts\Alert.dll.vir

The above was in adwcleaners quarantine like it shoud be. Malwarebytes picked it up there and it was not active.