MalwareBytes/Disk Check freeze

I am working on my brother-in-law's laptop. It is a Toshiba Satellite C655D-S5200 with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. When he brought it to me, it was because he was unable to uninstall AVG 2012 Linkscanner, could not do a MalwareBytes scan, and could not get the MS Security Essentials that his local PC repair shop put on it to run.

The AVG Linkscanner would continue to show up in the Add/Remove Programs list as well as in the taskbar when the computer was rebooted after doing the uninstall. I ended up having to download an AVG 2012 remover and when I ran it, it actually fully removed the Linkscanner. When the Linkscanner was removed, Security Essentials appeared in the taskbar.

I have tried to run MalwareBytes in normal mode and safe mode with just a quick scan but it freezes every time. It gets about 2-3 minutes into the file system and then just stops responding. When MalwareBytes locks up, I cannot open the Start Menu, open Task Manager, or anything. Ctrl + Alt + Del does nothing either. I am forced to hold the power button to shut it down. MalwareBytes has between 31-36 things found when it locks up, so it has at least that many issues.

I have tried running CheckDisk as well. I scheduled it to run and then rebooted the computer. It got to stage 4 - file data verification - and completely froze at 11%. It sat doing nothing for 2 hours on the same file. The laptop does not have a hard drive activity light and I did not hear any activity.

I have looked in the Windows Event Viewer and have found 2 instances in the System log where this is the error:

Event 7000, Service Control Manager

The McvciServiceHost service failed to start due to the following error:

the system cannot find the file specified.

Any ideas would be welcome.

Hello and Welcome to Malwarebytes

Sorry you are having issues scanning with Malwarebytes. Since you mentioned that it locks up after having found some infections, it is most likely that infection that is causing the lockups. The malware writers code their malware so it makes it difficult to remove. That being said, its best to get expert help by following the instructions below...

Being that you are probably infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you