Running Malwarebytes and other antivirus programs together

I'm kind of confused because as I understand it, you're not supposed to use 2 or more "anti" programs together in case they conflict? However, a friend of mine recommended using one anti-virus and one anti-malware, as long as they don't run active shields together.

I'm currently using Avast Free Edition as my anti-virus (with active scanning) and Malwarebytes as my anti-malware (run on demand) Is there anything wrong with this configuration?

You're not supposed to run 2 anti-virus programs on the computer, having two anti-virus programs running on a system only causes poor performance, conflicts and spotty protection.

Dangers of running 2 anti-virus programs

Malwarebytes is not an anti-virus program, it's an anti-malware program.
Malwarebytes and Malwarebytes Pro work well with most all anti-virus programs, sometimes some exclusions have to be added.

MrC

Ok, so I can run more than 1 anti-malware program?
No, doing that may cause conflicts and would be counterproductive.

How do I know what is anti-malware/spyware and what is anti-virus?
Some programs claim to do both!

Read the description,
For example...... Microsoft Security Essentials helps guard against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.
You can use Malwarebytes with this without any problems.

Malwarebytes works well with most all anti-virus/malware programs.

Definition: "antivirus" is protective software designed to defend your computer against malicious software. Malicious software, or "malware" includes: viruses, Trojans, keyloggers, hijackers, dialers, and other code that vandalizes or steals your computer contents. In order to be an effective defense, your antivirus software needs to run in the background at all times, and should be kept updated so it recognizes new versions of malicious software.

MrC