Protection for new browsers

pbust

• Staff

Many of you have requested that MBAE protect other Chrome and Firefox variant browsers such as IceDragon, TorBrowser, Pale Moon, Waterfox, PirateBrowser, portable versions, etc.

In order to help us plan for this, please provide the name and executables for each of the new browsers you would like us to protect, for example:

Internet Explorer = iexplore.exeChrome = chrome.exeFirefox = firefox.exe + plugin-container.exeOpera = opera.exe + plugin_wrapper.exe

Keep in mind that some browsers such as Firefox and Opera use sub-processes with different names to manage plugins. Please provide these as well.

Also while you're here in this thread, feel free to post your vote on priorities for adding these new browsers to MBAE.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Comodo Dragon = dragon.exe

This is very similar to Google Chrome.  The UI looks pretty identical but Comodo Dragon uses the Adobe supplied Flash and Reader software.

Comodo Dragon has a killer feature for me: the user can simply and easily use a UI control to force https on.  The setting is then stored per site.

Comodo Dragon is updated much less frequently than Google Chrome which seems to change almost weekly.

Hello folks,

Here is my contribution:

Palemoon = palemoon.exe + plugin-container.exe

Palemoon Portable = Palemoon-Portable.exe + palemoon.exe + plugin-container.exe

I want to second Aeolis's suggestion.  I use PaleMoon all the time.  It's a Firefox-related browser that accepts almost all Firefox add-ons and plug-ins, and it will even accept the Firefox profile (though I created a new one for PaleMoon).  There should be little problem getting Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to work with PaleMoon.

• 1 month later...

Pbust said "According to the info above MBAE should already automatically protect "Firefox Portable"..."

I tried that combination a while back, it appeared to run happily and listed Firefox in the log, although at the time I hadn't read the page about how to check if MBAE was actually protecting FF or not.

In a similar vien I'm currently running IceDragon Portable with the exe renamed to Firefox and it seems to be working fine. Process Explorer and System Explorer both show mbae.dll running with IceDragon (aka FF).

I'd like to add IceDragon Portable (Icedragon.exe + plugin-container.exe) to the list of requests all the same though please.

I want to second Aeolis's suggestion.  I use PaleMoon all the time.  It's a Firefox-related browser that accepts almost all Firefox add-ons and plug-ins, and it will even accept the Firefox profile (though I created a new one for PaleMoon).  There should be little problem getting Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to work with PaleMoon.

Thirded!  :P   Pale Moon is, and has been for a long time,  my default browser.

h0e7.jpg

Thirded!  :P   Pale Moon is, and has been for a long time,  my default browser.

h0e7.jpg

Fourthed! :P . I use Palemoon a lot as it seems to use less resources than Firefox itself. Plus the icon is pretty cool... :D

From what I understand reading this thread, MBAE protects based on process name? So if I wanted to use another browser that wasn't protected (such as Maxthon cloud), I could rename it to firefox.exe and it would be protected?

• Staff

Well.... I would go renaming "any" process to firefox.exe. MBAE uses a concept of application family to apply its techniques. So if its a browser you want to protect, then yes, rename it to its closest bigger brother (firefox.exe, chrome.exe, etc.) to protect it. But don't rename a PDF reader to firefox.exe because the techniques we apply to PDF readers are different from the techniques we apply to browsers. This is one of the biggest benefits of MBAE over EMET in terms of more stable and thorough protection (in addition to the layer3 protections which EMET lacks).

But don't rename a PDF reader to firefox.exe because the techniques we apply to PDF readers are different from the techniques we apply to browsers.

Hi Pedro.

Is SumatraPDF reader supported, BTW?

Sorry if that was already answered somewhere else or if I'm hijacking the thread!

Best,

François

• 4 weeks later...