Can't boot into safe mode or sm command prompt

Hi

I've been having a problem with Google Chrome recently where the browser just hangs and I get the message: 'resolving host'. Using the internet had become impossible to use.

I ran AVG free and It found 5 root kits. I didn't know what these were but after a search around discovered that they weren't necessarily a threat and were often system files ??? Anyhow AVG reported that these files could not be removed.

Then I D/L'd and ran Malwarebytes but only on quick scan. It found 5 medium threats which were removed.

The 'resolving host' problem in Chrome was not fixed so I decided to do a system restore from Windows. However there was only one available restore date in the list, which was 5 days previously. I chose this restore point and waited for the system to be restored. When it was complete I got a message saying that the system restore function was unable to restore the pc and no files had been affected.After restarting I was unable to boot to Windows and the only other option was Startup repair which I ran. This tool failed.

Now I'm stuck in a loop where I can only get to the command prompt through the recovery console and I've tried all manner of starting the pc from the functions available including the various safe modes and what's available in the recovery console. None of these worked! If I choose a safe mode the pc loads the system files and then I get the windows 7 animation on a black background. At this point the pc shuts itself down and restarts again. 

I followed the info on this thread:

But the fix appears to be a script that's specific to the OP's pc.

My machine:

Dell Vostro (core i7 early release) 

Win 7 pro 32bit service pack1

4gb Ram

Many thanks in advance for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!