PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (0, 0, Host not found)

I am using Vipre and from time to time I use Malwarebytes to do a complete scan, so Malwarebytes is installed without the realtime protection.

But today when Malwarebytes starts and tries to update its data I get a popup with the error message mention in the subject of this message.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled Malwarebytes but the popup remains the same.

I did already use JRT (which cleaned a few things), AdwCleaner (also cleaned something) and ComboFix (did also delete a few things) but still the errors pops up.

And to be sure that it was not a local dns problem and my laptop I also cleared the dns cache (ipconfig /flushdns)

best regards

Guido

Hello and :welcome: , GuidoD:

That error can sometimes occur when there is a conflict between the AV and MBAM.
You might want to try to set mutual exclusions between Vipre and MBAM PRO.
To do that, follow the instructions below.

OTOH, if you think you might be infected
--- based on the fact that you have already run several malware scanners -- then you might want to head over to the malware removal section of the forum for an expert to assist you.
If that's the case, I would suggest that you please follow the recommendations in this pinned topic: Available Assistance For Possibly Infected Computers.
One of the malware experts will guide you, one-on-one, through some other scans to be sure it's not a malware issue.

Please let us know if setting exclusions resolves your issue.

Thanks,

daledoc1

P.S. FWIW, Combofix and other powerful tools are not designed for use by the home computer user without expert guidance.  Using them without the proper help can cause serious damage to the system.
----------------------------

Please exclude the following files from your Antivirus Software (I'm not sure what version of Windows you are using):

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude them from it as well

For Windows XP:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\ mbamscheduler.exe

For 64 bit versions of Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbam.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamgui.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\mbamservice.exe
  • C:\Program Files (x86)\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware \ mbamscheduler.exe

Note: If using a software firewall besides the built in Windows Firewall you'll need to exclude MBAM.EXE and MBAMSERVICE.EXE from it as well

Note: Once that's done, please make sure that if either of those programs has any sort of web filter, that you add the following as a trusted site:

data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

The FAQ contains examples of setting file exclusions for some known AV products

problem is solved, the exclusions were not needed but nevertheless thanks a lot for your reply.

Just for the statistics, I am using Win7 Ultimate x64 with Vipre Internet Security 2014

The biggest problem is always sitting in front of the computer :)

I was in a hurry this morning therefore I had just overseen it. ;-(

The problem was just that the proxy was set because last time I made the database update in the company.

This time I was at home but I still had the proxy set in Malwarebytes. Even after the deinstallation and the reinstall the proxy settings did remain.

A popup telling "proxy not reachable" would make it easier then this error message "PROGRAM_ERROR_UPDATING (0, 0, Host not found)"  ;-)

I know that ComboFix is a very powerful tool, I used it already in the past and I am using Malwarebytes already since a couple of years.

I am an IT engineer and as a project leader of big software projects I do a lot of software specifications and sometimes also some of the tests.

But I still love to do alpha and beta testing at home whenever I have the time.

I am a Vipre beta tester since 2008.

And my laptop was not really infected, it were just some remaining files and configurations of a taskbar that I had installed accidentely and that I had uninstalled immediately already a couple weeks ago.

Quite interesting how many files and configurations still remained and that every tool cleaned a little bit of it.