You Rock! Now what?

Thank you for your help in removing what you have diagnosed as apparently the Win32:Daonoll variant.

I'm planning to buy your program.

I'd like to know if you have a recommended protocol for use in conjunction w/ an anti-virus program. (The infection you helped me get rid of appeared to have gotten in despite a daily updated AVG 8.5 av program.) SHould I run a MalwareBytes scan every day? once a week?

And thank you again!

I'd like to know if you have a recommended protocol for use in conjunction w/ an anti-virus program.
To prevent this, Make sure your programs are up to date (especially adobe reader, since this infection may come via pdf as well) - because older versions may contain Security Leaks. To find out what programs need to be updated, please run the Secunia Software Inspector Scan.

Also, to scan for missing Windows patches (very important if you manually patch) you can use SiSoftware Sandra. (It does not check other software.) This sure beats manually checking for missing patches every week, and the list of missing patches links directly to the Knowledge Base article for each patch.

There is an evaluation ("lite") version of Sandra. You can download [sandra/b] from SiSoftware:

http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=&...langx=en&a=

or from cNet: http://download.cnet.com/SiSoftware-Sandra...4-10556571.html

If you are running Windows 2000, however, only one version I found will work (2002) and SiSoftware, along with many download sites, only host the current version, because SiSoftware stops support for old versions. Beware that many websites copy the marketing information from the SiSoftware site, saying it can be used on Win2K -- but that is not true of new versions! Others continue to link to the SiSoftware website but advertise the older versions, which you can't get there!

Doing a search, I found a few websites that have the 2002 download, though none of them are where I got it, and I am unfamiliar with them and can't vouch for the integrity of their downloads.

I don't know if this overlaps with Secunia, or if Secunia only checks user applications and not the OS. Sandra is an extensive benchmarking program, and checks only the OS, not applications for available updates -- so maybe there is some use in having both apps. I wouldn't know.