PeregrineKodiak

Reinstalling Windows Malaise

I found the receipt. The computer was on clearance - being sold for 584.96! I was just in Best Buy yesterday! Do you know how much computer $584.96 buys you today!? So much more computer!

I could just vomit looking at this receipt! The money I spent on a service plan would have bought me a whole brand new and better computer today.

Anyhow, I've been saying I'm using a Dell 1525... I'm using a 1564... I was at my friend's house yesterday... he has a Dell 1525, which he is just about to replace. He is running Vista. He was my roommate when he bought his computer... Maybe these discs are from his computer. Maybe he ended up with my discs, and I ended up with his...

It surprises me that we would have swapped discs, though. I kept my files separate from his. I've always kept all of my CD Roms in one place, in one specific corner of one basket.

What a depressing experience this is becoming. And here it is, Black Friday. So many beautiful computers at Best Buy, a Windows 8, touch screen, with 700 Gigs of Memory, i3 processor, 4G ram, going for $530 - and that's not even the Black Friday price yet. Who even wants a touch screen? I think they're stupid. And, yeah, I'm not a fan of Windows 8.

I can get a decent Windows 7 machine with 4G and an i3 for $350. I was happy with the Dell 1564, though. What a pickle. Its looking like I will have to buy Windows 7, because I can't find my discs (did the store give me the wrong discs - but I never looked to see? Possible - but it's too late now to resolve that). My friend will not have my discs. I bought my computer after he moved out.

Why spend $100 on Windows 7, when for $350, I can have Windows 7 and a brand new computer. And for $100 more, I can catch up with everybody else and get a Windows 8 - with touch screen. What is the point of a touch screen?

What will I do with the old one? You can retool it for the needy.

It might not be my disc, but its an unopened Windows 7 disc that he has, and will give to me tomorrow.

I guess I'll reinstall Windows 7 tomorrow night/Sunday.

Sorry for all this rigamarole!

a comment about a 350 buck computer ... "caveat emptor" .

I own one of these and have had it many years now. I would get this in a heartbeat.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2PF14K0524

There are plenty more Lenovos there.

Smaller drive but 8 gigs of ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2PF14K0516

Business class all the way.

I'm installing Windows 7. It must be my friend's disc that came with his 1525. Its 32 bit Home Basic.

I think the wrong discs were in my computer package when I bought it. He has his own set of discs. This "Drivers and Utilities" disc I have is not for the computer I have though. 1564 isn't listed as "computers supported" on the disc. Weird.

With Avast - the difference between free and $20 is the "safezone" feature - for protection while banking online, and paying for things. Do you think that feature is necessary?

And how can I avoid java?

Java?  It never had been installed on my Windows 8 laptop and thus far nothing I've been using has ever called for it.  I uninstalled it from my Windows 7 netbook a while back (using the control panel) and I've never missed it there either.  I'm not an expert, so I don't know how necessary java is anymore.  Maybe some programs do need it, but so far I'll just leave it out of my systems unless something else I really need requires it.  There are others here who can tell you more about it than I can.   :)

It will ask, all you do is say no and don't install Java if you don't want it.

So how is everything going now?  Is the computer running well and are all the proper drivers installed now?

I think everything is properly installed. I'm taking your advice about not venturing on too much internet without virus protection. I still am undecided if I need Avast Pro or just the free version. What's your opinion?

Amethyst, I'm with you - trying to keep from downloading Java. I had thought I'd avoided it before - but realized in my haste of installing some programs, I didn't read the finer print, and ended up installing it.

I installed iTunes. iTunes installed Bonjour. I know that Bonjour is a program that Malwarebytes experts don't like. Do I have to keep Bonjour to run iTunes?

Bonjour is not necessarily a bad thing it just doesn't seem necessary for most PC users is all.  It normally shows up in the Control Panel, Add\Remove as it's own item and can by uninstalled.

As for paid antivirus that's up to you really.  Myself I buy Norton Internet Security for my wife's computer because I've found it works very well with MBAM and is just set it and forget it.  I believe for the most part once you get avast free working it too is probably pretty much set it and forget it too.  There is certainly a level of marketing for any software trying to get you to buy.  I've not tested it myself so I cannot honestly provide you with accurate information on that feature of avast.  I would suggest possibly reviewing in their forums and see what others say and if you can't find what you're looking for possibly sign up on their forum and ask others opinion.  Though someone here may chime in as well that does have first hand experience with it.