Reinstalling Windows Malaise

In the video, when Miguel's computer asks him "Where do you want to install Windows?" He has one option - Disk 0 Partition 1 - 40GB

My computer does not list a "Partition 1" - instead, this is what my list looks like:

Disk 0 Partition 2 RECOVERY    Total Size: 9.8GB      Free Space: 3.5GB     Type: Primary

Disk 0 Partition 3 OS                  Total Size: 58.6GB    Free Space: 1.5GB     Type: Primary

Disk 0 Partition 4                        Total Size: 229.6GB  Free Space: 110.7GB  Type: Logical

There is a yellow triangle with an exclamation point at the bottom that says: "The selected partition requires at least 6282 MB free space." When I saw this message this morning - I stopped the reinstall process, logged back in to my computer, went through my C: drive (the 58.6GB) and deleted all the big files (sound stuff, image stuff, program files (like xls and scribus files) and also, I uninstalled all of the programs I could - like Virtual DJ, Scribus, Adobe Dreamweaver Student version. This freed up enough space that the yellow triangle went away when I opened the reinstall process again. I selected my Partition 3, and that is where Vista is currently installed, i think.

The strangest thing about this is - now that I'm starting over trying to reinstall, that same yellow triangle is back, with the same message. I don't see how that can be, given that I deleted ALL of those files and programs. Did they come back? Where did I get 4 gigs of stuff now?

But you're telling me to select "Advanced Options" - and that gives me these choices: I can delete partitions, or format partitions. Let me go back to the links and your instructions, and see which I'm supposed to do - delete, or format.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another difference between Miguel's experience and mine: After the install has taken place, and he's setting up his computer, after he's entered his name and password, and after he enters his timezone and confirms date and time - he gets a window that asks him to "Select your computer's current location: Home, Work, or Public Location (3:13 in his video). I am not given that option. That is an internet related option, right? I don't know why I'm not getting this option. I think it's because I don't have the driver. I have my driver install disk, though, but even by installing the drivers - the internet still does not function - no wireless is recognized, and ethernet cable from the router also is not recognized - as though it's not even plugged in.

FYI - I did run diagnostic tests today - I came up with these two errors under "Extended Tests"

Error code: 4C00:0522

Msg SYSTEM - The interrupt contoller, or a device attached to it is not working.

Could that have anything to do with it?

The other error was about the fan - which is likely unrelated:

Error code: 3700:011B

Msg: PROCESSOR_FAN - the fan speed is incorrect

OK, so moving along. Now I'm in the Welcome Center. I hover over "Connect to the Internet". There is a message that says "Have your ISP information ready before you start. If you don't have an ISP yet, the wizard can help you get one.

When I saw that message this morning, I called the ISP company (wisper), and told them I needed the ISP info. They told me I didn't need any info, that the wireless driver/card would just find our home router, and I'd be good. So...

I click on "Connect to the Internet". A window says :"Windows did not detect any networking hardware."

A box says "Show connection options that this computer is not set up to use" and a highlighted line that says "Help me choose". I click the box. I see two options: Broadband (PPPoE) and Dial-up. I select Broadband.

It asks me for my user name that the ISP gave us. I don't think they did give us a user name. Let me ask the Mr. again and see what he remembers about that...

• Root Admin

Actually Partition 4 is basically an extension of the C: drive and normally would probably have been the D: drive before.

I would start over but this time I would delete both the 3 and 4 partitions.  Just leave the Partition 2 Recovery.

Then after you get done and get Vista installed again to that point let me know and we'll look at getting the drivers installed for you.

Here is what your drive setup used to be.

Drive c: (OS) (Fixed) (Total:58.59 GB) (Free:3.46 GB) NTFS
Drive d: () (Fixed) (Total:229.63 GB) (Free:111.13 GB) NTFS

Disk: 0 (MBR Code: Windows 7 or 8) (Size: 298 GB) (Disk ID: 2DA44573)
Partition 1: (Not Active) - (Size=100 MB) - (Type=DE)
Partition 2: (Active) - (Size=10 GB) - (Type=07 NTFS)
Partition 3: (Not Active) - (Size=59 GB) - (Type=07 NTFS)
Partition 4: (Not Active) - (Size=230 GB) - (Type=OF Extended)

Partition 1 = Created originally by the Windows installer process
Partition 2 = Dell System Tools
Partition 3 = The partition that Windows was installed on
Partition 4 = An extension of C: which was the D: drive that was probably where a lot of data was.

What are system partitions and boot partitions?

Partition 1 = Created originally by the Windows installer process (old one can be deleted, the new install will create a new one)

Partition 1: (Not Active) - (Size=100 MB) - (Type=DE)
Understand (and Get Rid of) the Mysterious Small Partition

They're outside cats. They will keep the varmits out of your garden. You can have the prettiest one! We have them in all shapes, sizes and colors. We had 60, but we've found homes for 15 of them. We have 37 left to get fixed, and 6 of those are in traps right now, ready to go to the big city tomorrow at the crack of dawn.

Interesting about the first partition. OK - beginning again with the reinstall, deleting partitions 3 and 4.

• Root Admin

Please run the Device Manager.  You can click on START and type in  mmc devmgmt.msc and then under the "Network adapters" you should probably see at least one or two yellow device entries.

You should be able to right click and choose to update your drivers.  Then put in the "Drivers" disk if you have one and tell it to automatically browse that CD for the driver.   Let me know if it find the driver and installs it okay for the network or not.

OK, I followed this. My network device is the Realtek RTL8101 Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS) 6.0. Is that just internet that connects only via ethernet cable? I wonder what happened to my wireless device? It seems that I don't have the driver to run my wireless device, because the computer can't find the wireless router that I have used 100 times at my friend's house here.

The driver for the ethernet device is supposedly installed. Maybe my friend has a cable that I can test it out. And plug into his router to see if at least I can get a connection that way...

Being that this is a Dell computer you can get the drivers you need from Dell directly, go to their support page => HERE <= and enter your service tag and then choose Windows Vista as your OS (I assume that is what you installed) and you can then download all the drivers for your computer.

I am sure Ron was heading in that direction (I hope anyways)....

• Root Admin

Yep, just wanted to see what was left as undetected.  I've had to get systems working before that have not had a specific driver and had to extract them and modify them to install but hopefully this one doesn't need to go to that level.  Most are pretty easy.

There is a preference though for what drivers get installed when. 

• Root Admin

I have all of the original discs - and the reinstall manual lists them:

*Reinstallation media for Dell MediaDirect (check - that's the one that also says "Applications" on it)

*Microsoft Windows XP or Windows Vista Operating System media (check - that's my Vista reinstall disc)

*Drivers and Utilities media (check)

That service tag says that this computer came with Windows 7 x64 and the Combofix log also says it came with Windows 7

Those disks do not appear to be for this computer.

ComboFix 13-09-04.04 - Free Bird 09/04/2013  22:05:15.2.4 - x64

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium   6.1.7601.1.1252.1.1033.18.3893.1972 [GMT -5:00]

So is the computer now running Vista or Windows 7 here ?

My computer is running Vista now. It was running Windows 7, 64 bit. My foggy memory of "someone fixing that for me..." maybe the memory is vague because it never happened. Maybe that conversation about "Vista is terrible" was a conversation I had before I bought the computer. I bought this computer from a Micro Center store in 2010. There have always been issues. Let me see if I can find the receipt. Maybe that will shed some light on this.