Dell-Latitude D610-WinXP-Removed Virus/No Internet/Cannot run DDS

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received the cd today.  Before we begin I have a couple of questions.

1)  Laptop came pre-installed with Windows XP Professional.  My cd is Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3, am I good to proceed with this cd?

2)  In this topic, post #11, I ran the Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10, could this have created some of my problems (icons)?  Reference: 

a)  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q312369

b)  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312368/EN-US

Thanks

• Root Admin

Hi Jennifer

I'm back from vacation and will go ahead and continue to assist you.  In general this should not be an issue but let's go ahead and look for the file Undo_guimode.txt

Click on START - Search and search for this file:  Undo_guimode.txt

You can also do it this way to double check.  Click on START - RUN and type in CMD.EXE and click OK.  It should already put you in this folder C:\Windows\System32

If you see that as the prompt then go ahead and type the following and press the Enter key.

DIR Undo_guimode.txt

You should get a file not found.  If the file is found then we need to rename it or remove it so just let me know if you find it or not.
As for the CD version - yes that should be fine.

Please read both of these artilces first before you proceed so that you're aware of what you'll be doing.  Very similar to the links that Gringo provided you.

How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - Michael Stevens

If you need help with backing up your data there are some good free programs.  Here are links to such software  

Backup Software

If you have any questions before you start please let me know.

Thanks

Thanks.  I will read those articles in just a sec, however I was hoping to just be able to do sfc /scannow (since I have the reinstallation CD), is this possible? 

The two main things I hope to accomplish with this CD are:  1) Being able to access the Display Properties and 2)  Accessing the internet via wirelessly.

I enabled the wireless adapter again.  I checked the status and it's connected, 48.0Mbps; packets are low sent: 698/received: 652.

Will a repair or reinstall or even scannow, correct these issues?  Thanks again.

• Root Admin

It's difficult to tell for sure if it will but is certainly worth a try as they're easier than doing a clean new Windows install.

Here are some links on using SFC

How To Use Sfc.exe To Repair System Files

Using System File Checker (SFC) To Fix Issues

Let us know how that goes

• 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!