Windows XP antivirus updates for Microsoft Security Essentials could end April 8th

ShyWriter

Windows XP antivirus updates for Microsoft Security Essentials could end April 8th

John Callaham

10-31-2013

microsoftsecurityessentials.jpg

Microsoft has already said it will end its official support of Windows XP on April 8th but what about putting out new antivirus updates for the OS in the company's free Microsoft Security Essentials program? A new statement from Microsoft says we should not expect that kind of update to continue past Windows XP's support cut off date.

In a note sent to ZDNet, Microsoft said it "will not guarantee updates of our antimalware signature and engine" after April 8th. It sounds like the company, in theory, could make a decision to continue its antivirus updates after support for Windows XP ends but is preparing XP users for the worst. The statement added:

Running antivirus on out of support operating systems is not an adequate solution to help protect against threats. Running a well-protected solution starts with using modern software and hardware designed to help protect against today’s threat landscape.

Earlier this week, Microsoft released its latest edition of its Security Intelligence Report, where it stated that malware infection rates for Windows XP is nearly six times higher than that of Windows 8, and that's with full support for the 12 year old OS. When it ends in less than six months, the infection risk will be far higher.

Source: ZDNet | Image via Microsoft

/Steve

You know I have wondered about this for a while now.  I have not found a clear source to either prove or disprove it as of yet though.  This article doesnt quoute a source or link to anything concrete either, it doesnt say who the spokesperson is, no video, link ect.  I'd really like final, "official" word from MS regarding this issue.

You know I have wondered about this for a while now.  I have not found a clear source to either prove or disprove it as of yet though.  This article doesnt quoute a source or link to anything concrete either, it doesnt say who the spokesperson is, no video, link ect.  I'd really like final, "official" word from MS regarding this issue.

I suspect it will all depend on the amount of "business" push-back rather than any wish or need from the regular XP user community. And we won't know for certain until April 7th, 2014 to see what  they decide to do the next day. :)

BTW; Here is the name of the original M$ spokesman:

The 15th and latest of Microsoft's Security Intelligence Report (SIRv15) has been released. We spoke with Tim Rains, Director, Trustworthy Computing at Microsoft about the results.