Portable Device Enumerator Service/Spooler Subsystem App Errors

dukegirl82

Windows Vista Home Premium

This morning my PC started getting errors for "Spooler Subsystem App has stopped working".  Shortly thereafter a second error started appearing.  "Portable Device Enumerator Service has stopped working". 

I ran MalwareBytes and iObit.  Cleaned out malware and rebooted system.  The same errors from above are still occuring.  Does anyone have any idea what this is? 

Thank you -

April

Hello and :welcome:

Hard to tell, please post the logs below so we can see what's going on...

Please run the following scanner and send back the logs.

Download DDS from one of the locations below and save to your Desktop

dds.scr

dds.com

Temporarily disable any script blocker if your Anti-Virus/Anti-Malware has it.

How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

Once downloaded you can disconnect from the Internet and disable your Ant-Virus temporarily if needed.

Then double click dds.scr or dds.com to run the tool.

Click the Run button if prompted with an Open File - Security Warning dialog box.

A black DOS console should open and run for a moment.

• When done, DDS will open two (2) logs:
  • DDS.txt
  • Attach.txt
  • Save both reports to your desktop
  • Please include the following logs in your next reply as an attachment: DDS.txt and Attach.txt

You can ignore the note about zipping the Attach.txt file

WARNING

As for IOBIT...

The company behind this product was found to be stealing our database.

Personally I would not trust installing any software from a company that resorts to stealing someone's technology to sell their product.

Please see the following links and make up your own mind if you want to keep this on your system. If needed we can help you remove it.

Since you said you had removed some malware, can you also post the last scan log showing what was removed?

Log File Locations

Scan Logs

* Windows 2000 & Windows XP:

C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

* Windows Vista & Win7:

C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\Malwarebytes\Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware\Logs

• Root Admin

Removing an MSI from the installer folder would not cause the issues you've posted about.

You need to disable your Webroot av while running the DDS scan so that it can complete properly.  More than likely it stopped the tool from producing entries for the Event Logs.

AV: Webroot SecureAnywhere *Enabled/Updated*

Please disable and run it again and at the bottom of the ATTACH.TXT file there should be entries for the Event Logs

• Root Admin

Much better.  Okay as I'm sure you saw there are a ton of Print Spooler errors and the Portable Device Enumerator as you posted and that confirms it.

Question.  Did you install any type software or hardware recently in the past day or two?  Did you get any automatic Windows updates that restarted your computer in the past couple of days?

I got an error late last week that my Adobe Reader was not working correctly.  I went to the Adobe site and updated it.  It has worked since then.  I have not had any other problems until this morning. 

I have a Windows Update for Windows Live 2011, but it keeps stopping because it says I have a different version on my PC already. 

Another bit of info...The Printer Spooler/Portable Enumerator errors began this morning after I tried printing a document via Adobe Reader.  An error popped up stating that there were no printers connected to my PC.  I checked my printers and all 3 were gone.  I tried to Add a Printer, but was unable to bypass the errors.

• Root Admin

Well it's quite possible that you may be having a hardware failure but for now perhaps have someone help you double check and make sure it's not infected.

I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

If it turns out the computer is not infected then we can try to look at some other possible causes.