pup.optional.spigot.A

I downloaded Filezilla yesterday by using a link at Volusion.com as I wanted to manage FTP. This is the first time i have downloaded Filezilla. After working with Filezilla, I ran Norton and Malwarebytes. Malware bytes said I was infected with pup.optional.spigot.A and the string in the malwarebytes log includes the word FileZilla. Malwarebytes quarantined the 4 infected files and I deleted them and ran malwarebytes again. Results were clean. 1) do i need to do anything further (my computer has worked well throughout), 2) what damage would that virus be capable of?

Hello and :welcome:

For future reference, you should only download programs from the original developer to help avoid issues such as these. Filzilla can be downloaded directly from them here https://filezilla-project.org/

That being said, have a look over at our KB article HERE for information on PUP detections....

As for your 2 questions....

1) No you probably don't have to do anything further

2) This detection was not a Virus, don't confuse malware/PUP's with viruses as they are different things.

Thank you Firefox for this reply. I am much relieved. I researched this by surfing and found that others were calling it malicious and talking about how it can take over your browser etc. I think I read that at the Filezilla forum. I am not sure. I was told that while most PUPS are merely unwanted, some can be malicious, including this "spigot" one. Had I not removed it, do you know what it might have done? Thanks so much again for contributing your time to answer these questions.

Hard to tell what if anything it has done on your computer without running further tools. If you want to make sure the system is clean you can always seek help from one of our experts.

To run futher tools to make sure your not infected, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you