Microsoft to act to save XP

ShyWriter

Microsoft to act to save XP

Secure your PC or Vole¹ will do it for you

30 Oct 2013 09:46

by Edward Berridge

Filed in Software Microsoft

dead%20vole%20(240%20x%20164).jpg

Software giant Microsoft is considering a plan to automatically switch on Windows Defender for those customers who insist on not running any system protection on old XP machines.

According to Microsoft’s own site, the Volish goal has been focused on getting as many of its customers off of the older Windows XP operating system onto something more modern and protected—Windows 8.1, if at all possible.

But Microsoft will discontinue support for Windows XP in April 2014, which means that if anyone continues to run the OS any holes will exist, unpatched, forever.

The idea is that as a customer goes into an unprotected state, Microsoft wants antivirus vendors to be installed as the first upgrade source. If the licence has expired, the first thing Microsoft asks them to do is to go upgrade.  If they have not got any AV products then Microsoft will automatically install its Defender product.

Vole said it will not nag, but at the same time to tell people that they’re not protected, and move them back into a protected state without them really knowing.

Windows XP makes up 22 percent of the worldwide user base, and in developing countries it can be under the bonnet of a third of machines.  It is possible that there could be a lot of machines which are suddenly protected by Windows Defender.

Read more: http://news.techeye.net/software/microsoft-to-act-to-save-xp#ixzz2jDWwcb3h

/Steve ( ¹The Vole; a nickname for Microsoft originally coined by The Inquirer )

I know they are trying to protect peoples computer from infections, but I can see this causing some computers to lock up, if they already have a security product installed. I know they will be checking to see if one is installed, but I am sure they are going to miss some. The security center now is not always picking up on installed av products as it is....

• Root Admin

This is the bad part to me.  to automatically switch on

I'm sorry Microsoft but it is MY MACHINE not yours just because I'm running Windows on it.  I could be running Linux or anything else I like as it is MY COMPUTER not yours to decide that you can automatically switch on something without asking or telling me.

This is the bad part to me.  to automatically switch on

I'm sorry Microsoft but it is MY MACHINE not yours just because I'm running Windows on it.  I could be running Linux or anything else I like as it is MY COMPUTER not yours to decide that you can automatically switch on something without asking or telling me.

Yeah there is that too....

indeed ... it seems that the rocket scientists at M$ are taking many liberties with the *rights* of computer users .

why does the word "haughty" (not to be confused with "hotty") come to mind .

if i want to remove the air filter from my car , run it low on oil and then take it stump-jumping , that is my business ...

it is not within the purview of the manufacturer of the vehicle .

I am hanging on to this custom build with XP installed, because I can't to get  a new custom build with whatever the next flavor of Windows.

But, I would hate it if they forced something to run automatically, after support ends for XP. I don't rely on Microsoft in securing my system.

I must be missing something : "Windows Defender" in XP is not the same one we have in W8 / W8.1, meaning it is just a minimal anti-spyware application. In XP, "Security Essentials" is the available MS antivirus program. Sooo... what's it gonna be ? Are they going to code a new Defender (with AV capabilities) for XP and force install it ? Is it going to be Security Essentials ? Just the old XP Defender (anti-spyware) switched ON ? My guess goes with Security Essentials. And MSE requires XP validation as it stands now, so is MS pushing to force detect pirated copies of XP by installing the antivirus ?

Should be an interesting story to follow, if it pans out.