Upgrading server 1.2.1.1665 to 1.3.0.1936

Hello everyone,

We are planning our upgrade to the latest version of the EE Server and I have a few questions.  The sticky note here specifically states that the clients need to be upgraded to utilize the new features.  We are very excited about AD integration.  What I have noticed though, is that the client version has not changed.  How am I supposed to tell which client is updated to use the new features?

Also, I want to make absolutely sure that if I do an in-place upgrade to the latest server version, that all my clients will continue to at least function.  We have 5000+ clients, so reinstalling them is no easy task.  How will the server console differentiate which clients are compatible with the new features, and which ones are not?  Will I be able to locate the old clients and push the updated client through the console easily?

Please let me know how to go about this.

Thank you,

Steve

Hello Steve,

Welcome to the Enterprise Edition Forum.

1.  How am I supposed to tell which client is updated to use the new features?

We will notice the change after doing a scan and detection of the client software from the "Client Push Install" tab under the "Admin" pane. After scanning, we will then see a message stating "Client software installed on the remote machine was an older version, you can perform an upgrade installation"

2. Also, I want to make absolutely sure that if I do an in-place upgrade to the latest server version, that all my clients will continue to at least function.  We have 5000+ clients, so reinstalling them is no easy task.  How will the server console differentiate which clients are compatible with the new features, and which ones are not?

All clients will continue to function even if the new 1.75.1300 version is not pushed out, the only part of the client that has changed is related to the communicator. All clients should be compatibile with the new features/change to the client communicator and features.

3. Will I be able to locate the old clients and push the updated client through the console easily?

I recommend setting up groups in the client pane to allow ease of deployment if you not have already done so. Doing the over-the-top push install during off hours or in small groups is recommended. In order to help track client versions I recommend going to the Client Pane and right clicking on any of the Column headers in the Client View window.

a. Select "Customize Columns"

b. Check the box for "Client Version"

c. Check the box for "Managed Client Version"

Let me know how this works for you.

Regards,

Mehtab

Mehtab,

Thank you for your reply.  The only thing I really do not understand is the versioning of the client.  I have already been deploying client version 1.75.1300 to my clients from the 1.2 EE server.  Is this same exact client the one that is fully compatible with all features of the 1.3 EE server?  If not, why did the version number of client not change?

Good question Steve,

I had the same question, the answer I recieved is that the base build of the client has not changed just something in regards to the Client Communicator, which did not warrant a change of the version number. All old 1.75.1300 without the client communicator change should still work and communicate with the new Server Client 1.3 version. I just checked my VM where I have yet to redeploy my new 1.75.1300 version, I was able to see offline-online status and even push out the new version without issue. In order to get the new communicator settings change in the new client version I believe that it must be deployed out from the new 1.3 version. 

I just checked my column of "Client Version" in 1.3 and I do see it as 1.75.0.1300, I just pushed out the new version about 20 minutes ago as a test. We should be seeing it as 1.75.0.1300, thanks for the correction.

1.  Are your 1.75.0.1300 clients which were not deployed from the 1.3 sever compatible with the Active Directory integration?

Are we talking in the sense of, if I have Computer 1 in an OU of Test 1 at the time the old 1.75.0.1300 was set in 1665. Will I then be able to utilize all the features if I upgrade to 1.3 and not the client and yet still realize the features that are mentioned in the changelog for 1.3?

Another great question, I believe so, the reason being is it is the new Server Console Version (1.3) that has the ability to read into OU groupings and then group those computers as read-only into your MEE client pane. So far I have nothing to indicate that the Client side installation 1.75.0.1300 has anything to do with this, however I could be wrong.

If I use the scanner to push the "new" 1.75.0.1300 client from the 1.3 EE server, wouldnt it just say the client is already up to date?

1. Somehow the 1.3 EE Server Console knows that that the client is not the same even though versioning number is the same. For example I upgraded my Server Console to 1.3 EE, but kept the old 1.75.0.1300 version as it was installed on all my clients under the Server Console .1665 EE version. After doing a "scan and detect client software" from the "Client Push Install" tab under the "Admin" pane, I saw a message stating "Client software installed on the remote machine was an older version, you can perform an upgrade installation" This was the only indication that I had that an old version was in effect even though versioning number is the same.

No problem, remember to do a Data Backup and Restore in the event you do not like 1.3 so that we may revert to .1665. I also recommend once you upgrade to 1.3 to test what I had just mentioned as well as bring in those two extra columns into your Client Pane to sort out what version is attached to which computer.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that is a pretty major oversight to not increment the version number of a client when something has changed, and there is no other way to differentiate.  Are your 1.75.0.1300 clients which were not deployed from the 1.3 sever compatible with the Active Directory integration?

Agreed, we use IBM/TEM to push most of our software.  A version change would be extremely helpful.