AVG Toolbars Installed with Networx Update

Just a quick warning to all:

I've used Networx network monitor for years without any problems. However the last update I installed a few weeks ago showed a checkbox for AVG Secure Search and another AVG toolbar (can't remember the name of the other one). Though disappointed to see the developers of Networx go this way, I continued with the update installation, first making sure I deselected all the AVG checkboxes. Guess what? Yep - the AVG crap installed itself anyway. Searches on this showed plenty of other folks who encountered the same issue with AVG's crapware contained in the installers for a number of other programs too.

I'm surprised because I haven't seen this kind of behavior from the Networx developers before. Although Networx itself is free, they offer several other pay-programs, mostly for "enterprise" clients. I am now done with Networx for good.

Though I encountered this about three or four weeks ago, I am posting about it now because I keep finding remnants of the AVG crap even though I uninstalled it using Revo Uninstaller Pro, which usually does a great job finding all the various parts of programs including registry entries.

Surprisingly neither Norton AV 2013 nor my Malwarebytes Pro flagged any parts of the AVG crap. Is AVG somehow exempt from detection by other security software because AVG itself is considered a security program?

Thanks!

Jim

• Root Admin

Hi Jim,

If you're still having issues removing portions of AVG I'm sure one of the Experts can probably assist you.  I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks