How to prevent viruses from my USB?

Hi,

I plug my USB flash drive it into school computers and public computers and I've noticed that a few of the computers I've used have shown some signs of infection and they never seem to update their computers. My biggest concern is that I will unintentionally infect my laptop from my USB.

I've scoured google but I couldn't find much info :(. What steps can I take to prevent this? I currently have Avast and Malwarebytes Pro installed, are there additional programs I can download that will help?

Thanks!

Well I would make sure you have Autoplay disabled in your version of windows. Another thing is you have to make sure your antivirus software is always up to date, as that would be your first line of defense.

Every time your plug in your USB drive into your computer, after using it on those computers, make sure you run a full scan using your antivirus software to make sure its not infected.

If at all possible get a flash drive that has a write protect switch on it and have it enabled when plugging it into the other computers, unless you have to write to the flash drive of course.