Protection module

What exactly is the protection module in Malwarebytes Pro? Does it 'run in the background', actively preventing things? It says it blocks malicious websites, but does that mean its blocking malicious intrusions from cyberspace?

Thanks, just trying to understand exactly what malwarebytes does. I understand that it simply is a far superior software to seek n' destroy malware when a manual scan is started. 

Am I right?

Another thing. I don't really understand how other free versions of anti-viruses work, like AVG free or Avast! free. Do they 'run in the background'? I've always assumed they ran actively in the background, evaluating sites, blocking un-wanted downloads/infections, and then they have a scan feature that is supposed to pick up on anything the blocking would have missed. 

Am I completely out to lunch? I have been before! :D

Or do you have to buy it for it to run in the background. I always figured that buying simply enhanced the capabilities, and extended the areas of protection. 

Thanks for your time.

Hello and :welcome:

First off, just to make sure since you are asking multiple questions about antivirus programs, Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program, its an antimalware program. Its designed to work alongside your antivirus software. Only Malwarebytes PRO had the features of running and protecting you in the background. The FREE version of Malwarebytes you have to run updates and scans manually and it does not actively protect you, this is why the PRO is recommended.

Malwarebytes PRO does proactively work in the background. You can read about its (PRO) features HERE.

Free antivirus programs like AVG and Avast as you mentioned do run in the background actively protecting your computer. If something sneaks by your antivirus program, Malwarebytes PRO is there as your second layer of protection and it will catch what your AV failed to catch.

Hope that clears things up.

Hello and :welcome:

First off, just to make sure since you are asking multiple questions about antivirus programs, Malwarebytes is not an antivirus program, its an antimalware program. Its designed to work alongside your antivirus software. Only Malwarebytes PRO had the features of running and protecting you in the background. The FREE version of Malwarebytes you have to run updates and scans manually and it does not actively protect you, this is why the PRO is recommended.

Malwarebytes PRO does proactively work in the background. You can read about its (PRO) features HERE.

Free antivirus programs like AVG and Avast as you mentioned do run in the background actively protecting your computer. If something sneaks by your antivirus program, Malwarebytes PRO is there as your second layer of protection and it will catch what your AV failed to catch.

Hope that clears things up.

sbskzk.jpg

I'm currently in a debate at the Norton Forum about this topic.  They're insisting that it's not a good idea to run MBAM pro simultaneously with a Norton AV suite.  I'm just curious as to why that's stated over at the Norton forum.

I've been running both tools without issue for about a year without issues but I'm wondering about it.

IMO its a common tactic that the antivirus venders use in order to avoid possible conflicts. It is much easier for them to say uninstall Malwarebytes and only use our product. This way they do not have to spend their time trouble shooting with you should an issue arise.

I have been running Symantec products along side with Malwarebytes for many years and have not had any issues. I have also used it with McAfee Corp Edition, MSE, Avast, and AVG. Of course I always enter exceptions, not because they are needed, but because I choose to do so to be proactive and avoid any potential conflict that may arise.

IMO its a common tactic that the antivirus venders use in order to avoid possible conflicts. It is much easier for them to say uninstall Malwarebytes and only use our product. This way they do not have to spend their time trouble shooting with you should an issue arise.

I have been running Symantec products along side with Malwarebytes for many years and have not had any issues. I have also used it with McAfee Corp Edition, MSE, Avast, and AVG. Of course I always enter exceptions, not because they are needed, but because I choose to do so to be proactive and avoid any potential conflict that may arise.

They're giving the 2r3v6he.jpg for the free on-demand version but 287ncjn.jpg for running the Pro version alongside a Norton AV suite.

Have you been running the Pro version?  If so, this is somewhat of a vindication for me over there :)

I've posted on this subject on the Norton forum before and no Admin or Moderator took me up on the challenge.

Thanks for the link :)  I just read it.  That's interesting that there were no replies to your last post in that thread.

As a novice with all of this stuff, my take on this subject is that there's somewhat of a mindset at work regarding any 2 protection tool's real-time scanners running simultaneously on a PC, regardless of what kind of tool is running, ie, a specific malware-detection tool such as MBAM alongside an AV suite.

I think I'll bow out of the current discussion there as mindsets can be difficult to reach :).

Have you been running the Pro version?  If so, this is somewhat of a vindication for me over there :).

Yes I have been running the Pro Version with Symantec Endpoint Protection and have no issues. I have also installed MBAM on customers computers alongside Norton Internet Security Suites and have not had issues....

Yes I have been running the Pro Version with Symantec Endpoint Protection and have no issues. I have also installed MBAM on customers computers alongside Norton Internet Security Suites and have not had issues....

Thanks for the info.  I left that discussion over at the Norton forum with the old "agree to disagree" exit :).