HELP! Won't boot into Windows after fixing trojans

Hi All,

I have an HP Mini, Windows XP, with no CD drive. I downloaded/ran Malwarebyes and hit "fix" after a quickscan. It detected 70 issues, and at least one of these was a trojan. (I know for certain that I had some web-redirect virus that kept coming up when I used Google -- "qualitinks" or something like that).

-When I restarted after the scan, the computer hung on a black screen -- no mouse, nothing.

-When I restart in SAFE MODE, the boot freezes on a MUP.SYS.

-When I restart with previous working configuration, or in normal mode, I get the same black / blank screen.

No matter how I boot up, I cannot get into Windows.

I have no idea what to do next. I've searched on the forums, and it seems like some folks have had similar issues. However, I can't post my scan/virus log because I don't have access to the desktop / window.

The only thing I have been able to do thus far is log into the BIOS SETUP UTILITY and I ran a diagnostic on the hard disk. It is still running, and I will update with the results within minutes. Regardless, I'm not sure I could interpret the results or know what to do next. (The diagnostic says that my target disk is a Samsung HM 160HI. I'm not sure if this is info you need).

I would be grateful lfor *any* help or insight you can share. Thank you so much!

Follow up: finished the bios hard disk scan and it found no errors. Said everything was good.

I restart normally, see the windows XP logo, and then I freeze on a black screen.

Please -- if you have any advice, I'd very very grateful. I don't have a CD drive or a disk for the XP -- I bought the computer off ebay. But I need to access my files. What do I do next?

Thank you so much.

T

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

Due to the lack of feedback this topic is closed to prevent others from posting here. If you need this topic reopened, please send a Private Message to any one of the moderating team members. Please include a link to this thread with your request. This applies only to the originator of this thread.

Other members who need assistance please start your own topic in a new thread. Thanks!