Can't restore Windows 8 from image

I was working on my moms computer as she was having some issues with office and got everything straightened out and decided to upgrade it to Windows 8.1. Bad idea. It was much slower and just didn't like it. I created a backup image prior to that, but when I got to restore it it tells me that it cannot restore the image as the firmware is set to bios and the image is set to UEFI. Every article I read tells me to start a UEFI shell and run the installation/repair disc from it, but there is no such option under the boot manager. This is a Dell Inspiron 14R that has preloaded Windows 8. I even tried using the factory restore flash drive we made and it wouldn't start up and gave a blue screen with an error when I restored it back to factory. I'm pretty much out of things to try...

Yeah I just talked to my mom and were gonna just take it back. It's still under the 90 day warranty I believe. This is stupid. I'm not overly fond of this one it keeps having problems with the wireless card too. We will be outside with it and come back in and it won't connect to the router anymore and have to disable the card and renable it from Windows. She's always calling me downstairs with it not working right.

Dell wouldn't even refund us and told us to go back to Staples. We ended up having Dell send us a factory restore disc so hopefully that works and it's nothing more then a bad install of Windows. Certainly not a good time for her computer to go out again when she is being required to get recertified in the medical field. They are also looking at a new desktop anyway so we will be ordering that soon now.

One thing for certain I wish they would have listened to me when I said I'd rather them buy a computer straight from Dell and not one from the store. I've had bad luck with those, but mother insisted we get one that day so I had to go with what was available.

yeppers ... it is a lousy deal .

when it comes to *others* and their "thoughts-n-stuff" ... i remember something i heard many years ago :

"i don't own a nickel in it , nor should i wish to" .

let others do as they see fit and let it go .

the timing sucks ... however ...

dell still has to make good on their machine ... it is not like much of the wally-world gear that actually has no manufacturer's warranty .

keep a paper trail on this issue .

why don't you build your folks a desk-top machine ?

hmmm ...

i would not run the "restore disk" or any other disk provided by dell unless you have specific authorization by a dell representative to do so .

... and there had better be a trail on it .

you purchased the item in "good faith" , the manufacturer received the money "in good faith" ... the manufacturer is obligated to provide a working device free of flaws and services pertinent to the device as outlined in the warranty/limitations agreement .

i would twist arms to beat hell ... get dell to make good on it .

stop talking to the first line chimps ... go up the ladder .

if the above proves fruitless , the next step would be calling "consumer relations" and tell them exactly what has transpired .

if you get stonewalled or the "cold shoulder" (which is actually related to eating) call the BBB or a state agency that deals with such matters .

you might google the model number and symptom(s) ...

you may not be the only one with problems .

@CWB

I talked to my mom the next day and she said that Dell would be calling at 8pm the night we got the disc which is today to make sure we got it and walk us through the restore. I'm gonna check the box inserts and see what the warranty says and hopefully if anything goes wrong i can get them to replace it. I won't hang up without a fight.

I have always had good luck with Dell Tech Support, although I do have Gold Tech Support and Priority Tech Support so I am sure that makes a difference.

My experience with dell tech support was always great as well, My laptop is made by them, I was having heating issues with the laptop, and they sent someone out to take a look at it. I also don't have any of that stuff, mine was all basic warranty coverage.

"tech support" might be considered somewhat distanced from "warranty policy" ... ergo , they are not exactly the same critter .

tech support is subject to vagaries ...

when i was factory warranty repair for (major electronics corporation name removed) i found that the west coast tech support/parts center (not accessible to anyone that is not factory authorized/certified) was much better than the east coast center .

when the west coast center shut down for a week (comp/comm upgrades) i had to use the east coast center ... uuuggghhh .

I keep forgetting to update this. :P Anyway the factory reset disc was just Windows 8, but they walked us through the install (they wanted to make sure it got installed correctly) and got Windows 8 back on. I noticed that there were no drivers or other programs installed, but they said the drivers were in the disc so I assume either Dell embedded them or Windows works out of the box. Everything seemed to be working fine when I installed the fresh copy of Windows. However, I ended up putting a copy of Windows 7 I had laying around since I noticed that Dell had drivers available for it. So that worked out as mom would rather would have that. Anyway everything appears to be working fine and I think it was just a bad install of Windows.

@CWB

I forgot to respond to your previous idea of me building a desktop for her. Well the matter is I only built one and wouldn't consider myself overly experienced. They need this for their business and I don't want to screw something up and have them out of money. Plus they really don't have the time to look at all the parts (they work out of town and come home to work on a small farm we have) so I just picked some out I liked and showed them. More then likely it will be either a Dell Optiplex or Dell Precision.

• Root Admin

You cannot legally be running Windows 7  on one computer and then use it's install DVD to install Windows onto another computer.  It's 1 license per computer unless you have an Open License (what a business that has hundreds or thousands of machines uses) for the OS.

It works but is not ethical.

Is it even possible with an OEM version of Windoze, e.g. from Dell?

I thought the OS install is tied to the mobo in that situation, such that it won't install (or at least it won't validate/activate) if installed on another system?

IIRC, a "retail" version of the OS can be installed on a different system, but not an OEM?

<just askin'>