RubbeR DuckY

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile has been released!

We’ve gone mobile! After many months of development and testing, I’m pleased to announce the launch of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile.

If you’re like me, you can’t imagine living without your phone. It’s a social link, a necessary time waster, a business tool, and sometimes I even make calls with it.

So our team of developers and malware researchers built an Android mobile security app for our needs. The Malwarebytes way. We wrote all our own code and built our own malware signature database from scratch. That way we knew that the database was accurate and relevant. And we included only the essential security features—the native Android Device Manager now takes care of all the phone location features typically found in mobile security products, so it didn’t make sense to add those. The core is anti-malware, with a couple other features that can detect apps that are violating your privacy or tracking your physical location.

And it’s just in time. Mobile malware increased by 614 percent over the past year according to some analysts. And that’s to be expected!

I wanted a lean, powerful app that beat the bad guys. And it had to be free. I think we pulled it off. But, more importantly, what do you think?

Download from Google Play here.

Edited by celee
updated link

We created a new forum for our brand new Mobile product. Head here if you have any questions or need assistance. Let us know what you think. Thanks!

Congrats on another great tool... You guys rock! Will there be an iPhone version eventually?

Well that is great, congratulations!  If I ever get a smartphone, you know what I'll be using to help protect it ;)

Gave it a go, the program pretty much froze the whole phone well running its scan, Was running it on a samsung galaxy s4, once the scan was done though, it didn't seem to interfere with anything and phone ran fine.

Gave it a go, the program pretty much froze the whole phone well running its scan, Was running it on a samsung galaxy s4, once the scan was done though, it didn't seem to interfere with anything and phone ran fine.

Hi fivealive, 

Please contact our support team (info here: https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=134941) if this happens again. Thanks.

Jumping the shark?

Except in rare cases, Android malware is not a real threat. The sandboxed nature of these modern OS's make them much less vulnerable

Edit: Sorry for being a bit snarky, but other than "614%" can you demonstrate a need?

Edited by Blair

Sorry for the delay Blair. All of the threats in our database were gathered from scratch, so they exist and we were able to get them, i.e. from various app stores.

Do I need to uninstall my current AV | AS app in order to kick the tires ?

Thanks.

Great news! :)

I think be best if add in settings menu choice to Update Only if on Wi-Fi

Sounds promising.. I do believe the app may need a little time to mature though, I've read the reviews and the reception is somewhat mixed.

The Avast! antivirus app also detects malware, and although I'm unsure as to how effective it is, it has had time to mature its databases. Another thing worth mentioning, running antivirus and MBAM side-by-side on Android is a bit overkill, and depending on the device, may be hard on system resources.

Great work guys  :)

will be testing it on the S3

Works great on the S3 but on the other phone (which has lower specs and preinstalled apps aka not rooted) it's has bugs 

Hi all - new update for mobile is out with lots of bug fixes that many users mentioned. Be sure to update!

Changelog found on Google Play 

Version 1.1 (Nov 20, 2013)
• User can turn on/off real-time protection
• User can set malwarebytes notification icon to “off”, “on”, or “greyscale”
• User can  display/hide following notifications on notification tray:
• Scan progress
• Scan result
• Database update
• Scheduled scans
• Removed hockeyapp API calls
• Support added for Kindle Fire Devices
• Real-time app scanner now doesn't consume CPU resources during time when screen is off
• Reduced energy consumption

In new version missing some menu - >Privacy Manager -> Security Audit -> "Enable lock pattern"

Jumping the shark?

Except in rare cases, Android malware is not a real threat. The sandboxed nature of these modern OS's make them much less vulnerable

Edit: Sorry for being a bit snarky, but other than "614%" can you demonstrate a need?

No, thanks. I'll get my security guidance from Trend Micro instead of a "technology journalist". 700K malicious and risky Android apps and increasing.

No, thanks. I'll get my security guidance from Trend Micro instead of a "technology journalist". 700K malicious and risky Android apps and increasing.

Well it is a threat but it cant run on its own on android with your permission

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Mobile 1.05 is out today. You can download it now in the Google Play Store.

The full changelog can be viewed here.

If you need assistance with MBAM Mobile, please post your issue here and an expert will assist you.

Thanks,

Is there a new beta version above this one? I just joined the beta g+ group last week and saw no notice beta went stabile. the version I have is 1.05.9000 Maybe a notice could be posted at G+ group by the owner of said group. Thanks.

Is there a new beta version above this one? I just joined the beta g+ group last week and saw no notice beta went stabile. the version I have is 1.05.9000 Maybe a notice could be posted at G+ group by the owner of said group. Thanks.

Hello,

1.05.9000 is our latest production version. There is no beta version at this point. Our previous beta version moved into production version last week and it is live in google play and amazon store. Thanks