I think my PC may be infected

I have a problem with RealPlayer. It was one of the programs I updated thanks to FileHippo, but after a while I decided to uninstall it. However, there were two entries for RealPlayer in Add/Remove, and after I clicked remove on both, one of them still remained. And in the Program Files folder, there's a Real folder with two RealPlayer folders and one RealUpgrade folder. The reason there are two RealPlayer folders is probably because of some issues I had with updating RealPlayer a long time ago and I had to do a System Restore.

So basically my question is: Is it safe to delete these folders? Is there a program I should use to clean up this mess, or can I just delete them right away?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try the following UNinstaller:

download and install Revo Uninstaller Free

• Double click Revo Uninstaller to run it.
  • From the list of programs double click on The Program to remove
  • When prompted if you want to uninstall click Yes.
  • Be sure the Moderate option is selected then click Next.
  • The program will run, If prompted again click Yes
  • When the built-in uninstaller is finished click on Next.
  • Once the program has searched for leftovers click Next.
  • Check/tick the bolded items only on the list then click Delete
  • When prompted click on Yes and then on next.
  • Put a check on any folders that are found and select delete
  • When prompted select yes then on next
  • Once done click Finish.

If the entries do not show up in Revo`s list it will be ok to navigate to Program Files and delete the real player folder(s). Re-boot when done. After that use REGEDIT as you did previously and delete Real Player under the following keys:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Sofware

HKEY_Current_User\Software

You can also run CCleaner when complete, use the cleaner tool, then the registry tool....

I did that and now RealPlayer is completely gone. Thanks! :)

Just one more thing before you can close this: I notice that I have two duplicate folders in my Program Files folder. iPod(2) and iTunes(2). Both of these folder contain very few files which seem to be duplicates of files in the regular iPod and iTunes folders.

Can I just delete the Pod(2) and iTunes(2) folders right away, or do I need to run a program first?