Windows Update corrupted

Andrew6974

I hope you guys don't mind me coming here again asking for a another bit of advice but I have a new Windows 8 64-bit PC, it is only a few weeks old but I have been having no end of problems trying to get Windows Updates installed.
Updates will often fail to install.

I have tried troubleshooting which gives a 'windows update database error 0x80070490' and 'windows update components must be repaired'
The troubleshooter appears to fix the errors and I did eventually get the updates installed, but every time I reboot the computer and run the troubleshooter again it comes up with the same errors.

Also, the windows update interface still says that no updates have ever been installed, despite the fact that when I check under 'view installed updates' in control panel they are still listed there.

I have even reformatted the computer but this has failed to resolve the problem as well.

I'm not sure what the problem is or what to do about it. If there is anyone here who could offer any advice or assistance I would be very grateful once more or if you can advise of where else I might be able to get help.

I have run up some DDS logs if anyone would care to take a look.

Thank you.

Well it looks like you have some services failing to start, this could be due to a malware infection or a hardware/software conflict. I recommend you have one of the experts take a look at some more logs to help you sort it all out and to rule out an infection.....

Being that you are having issues, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you

Okay. Thanks Firefox.

I have two paid for Malwarebytes PRO licences. Does this qualify me as a 'paying customer' eligible for support via the help desk ?

Which option would be best option: starting a new topic in the malware removal forum or contacting the support desk ?

I noticed in the attach.txt log that all of the errors listed occured only on the 9th. This was the day I reformatted the computer.

Plus the windows update failures referenced in the dds logs were installed successfully upon a second attempt.

There are no other incidents in the log for the past five days. If it was malware would the dds logs not show incidents for every day / every time the computer is booted up ?

Other than troubleshooting telling me that the windows update database / components are corrupt there are no other obvious signs of infection.

Yes having two licenses does qualify you for support, its up to you what option you choose.

If you rebooted the computer and tried to install the updates once again and they installed successfully, you may be good to go. You could always reboot the computer and then re-run the dds tool and post the new logs so we can take a look once again if you like.

Hi Firefox.

I have done some fresh DDS logs. They seem much the same.

As before all of the errors in the logs occurred on the 9th and there has been nothing since.

I did manage to get the updates installed eventually but windows update troubleshooting is still telling me the database is corrupt and that a component needs to be repaired.

When I run the automated fixes it indicates that repairs were successfull, but if I run the check again after reboot the same errors are detected again.

That aside all of my security products seem to be installed and running normally and the computer seems fine otherwise.

I'm just concerned that if I can't sort these windows update errors I may not be able to get future updates which would pose a major security risk for my computer.

Plus not knowing the cause of this issue is a worry as well.

Being that you are still having issues I still suggest you get help from the experts one on one where they can run other tools to get to the bottom of it, feel free to follow the instructions below to receive free, one-on-one expert assistance in checking your system and clearing out any infections and correcting any damage done by the malware.

Please see the following pinned topic which has information on how to get help with this: Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers

Thank you