What just happened to my computer...?

tree_fu_go

Okay, I was just trying to use my computer and it was just SOO SLOOW! I thought it was just Avast doing its scheduled scan, so just while I was quickly using my computer, I thought I should pause the scan for now. But it was still so SLOOOW!!

So I checked Task Manager and saw nothing using up any CPU. But I noticed that the computer had been on for 64 hours and 25 minutes, so I thought it was just being slow because it hadnt't been restarted in a while. So I was going to shut it down, but I thought I should check Windows Update for any updates before I do that (I set it for me to manually update it......). I saw 22 new updates available! I don't know if that was normal but I still installed them.

When they were installing this is when things...Got annoying..

After about 5 updates installed, Avast alerted me something was trying to turn off Avast and was asking for a confirmation, of course, I didn't do that, so I clicked No. Okay, that was really weird. I knew something was up, so I tried opening up Task Manager, I saw a strange process with a random name I hadn't seen before, so I clicked 'properties'. Its loading, its loading- oh what? Task Manager is not responding?! REALLY? I couldn't close it or tell windows to close it or ANYTHING!

Somethings odd... I know! I'll open up Malwarebytes and do a scan! Just in case!

So I click on the start Button, hmmm thats funny, many of the icons of the programs there have a picture of a blank file instead of their normal icons! Okay, so I try to click on Malwarebytes... Aaand... It freezes! The start button menu... freezes... So I couldnt close it and it was covering up my view of the screen! Great!

So, I thought I should check TCP Veiw! So I open up Windows, hmm that was slow, open up Users, open up the Downloads... Loading.. Loading.. watching the loading bar... looooaaading.. Aaalmost theeere.... "Windows Explorer has stopped responding". Won-der-ful.. T_T

Of course, I couldnt close it or anything!

WHAT THE HECK DO I DOOO?

Oh I KNOW! Ctrl, Alt, Delete! Okay... lets see.. I'll try Start Task Manager. Wow, task manager opened up! Even though the one that stopped responding was still there... not responding. But this one.. was responding! Good! Now lets see, theres that weird process I saw before! Hmm, better not click properties.. What else could I do? I tried end task on Windows Explorer and the old Task manager... Aaand... Nothing happened.... Oookay.. Dont give up yet... Theres got to be something else Task Manager can do for me...

I know, I'll start a new task, and open up Malwarebytes that way...! It should work?

Hmm, I've never done this before... Hmmmmm thats weird... Ah theres the Malwarebytes Folder! Theres MBAM.exe! Oh hang on, just in case... OF COURSE, I HAD to click on properties to make sure it was the reeeal one first! Duh!! Okay..... waiting... waiting... okay nothings happening.. maybe ill just double click it to select it..... T_T Oooooooooooh, it froze....

So everything but my mouse is frozen, Im unable to do anything...

What do I do? Ctrl, Alt, delete, theres gotta be something here! Lock computer? I dont think that would help..? Change a password? ..No. Shut down computer..? Hmm, nothing else is working.. What else does it want me to do? Wait another 20 minutes on the chance that something might respond? Well.. should I shut it down? Its installing updates that I dont even know are real updates or not! But everythings frozen, I cant imagine it could still be installing after all of this? I.... dont... know....

*Click* I did it, I clicked shut down... The programs went black, but wre still there.. After 3 minutes of nothing happening... and I was unable to do anything... THATS IIIIT!!!!! I turned it off with the power button.

Now, Im wondering, have I just destroyed my computer?

Im too afraid to turn it on again... What do I do when it turns on?

I am writing this because I really dont know what to do or expect when I turn it on! Do I enter Safe Mode? Then what? Will it even make it that far!? Is there a way to check what went wrong? The computer, or some sort of malware? Or the way I handled it? What do I do?

Thanks anyway..

Windows Vista 32-bit, Avast Anti-virus Free. Malwarebytes Free, SUPERAntiSpyware Free.

I know, It would be better to provide imformation on what the updates were but do you really expect me (Especially after reading this) to remember the details of 22 updates?

vista(less) ... uuuggghhh ...

in the future ... hold the power button in for more than a "click" ... usually the default on the "button settings" are "shut down when the power button is depressed for more than a few seconds" .

fire the machine back up and don't press any buttons ... go get a cup of coffee and slowly wander back toward the comp .

man , that was one long/big cup of coffee !

what did you do ... meet up with juan valdez and buy the beans from him ?

:lol::P

it's good that the machine fired up into a working state (as opposed to a right-to-work state) .

i dunno ... i have seen some vista machines that "choke up" on the installation of updates .

at times there has only been one option ; a hard shutdown and restart .

this may also be indicative of a little problem with the hard drive ... the smart data from the hd would be helpful .

a program is available here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsmartcontrol.berlios/

(there may be other similar programs available , perhaps the other would share links to them ... always looking for such stuff)

link to an explanation of what smart does : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

as the machine is vista and M$ has stopped supporting it (99%) , have you given thought to changing it over to W7 ?

man , that was one long/big cup of coffee !

what did you do ... meet up with juan valdez and buy the beans from him ?

:lol::P

it's good that the machine fired up into a working state (as opposed to a right-to-work state) .

i dunno ... i have seen some vista machines that "choke up" on the installation of updates .

at times there has only been one option ; a hard shutdown and restart .

this may also be indicative of a little problem with the hard drive ... the smart data from the hd would be helpful .

a program is available here : http://sourceforge.net/projects/gsmartcontrol.berlios/

(there may be other similar programs available , perhaps the other would share links to them ... always looking for such stuff)

link to an explanation of what smart does : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

as the machine is vista and M$ has stopped supporting it (99%) , have you given thought to changing it over to W7 ?

I hadn't heard of this HDD utility program before your post.  30x7ert.jpg

Win 7, I recommend that as well.  I went from XP to 7 in 2010.  It's been running well.

After reading your essay.... with no real info as to what the weird process was, your first solution should have been to restart the computer. You yourself said it had been on for over 64 hours. Once you have one program not responding its only going to get worst. Go for the obvious first and stop making matters worst..... ;)