Item detected during FULL scan

Nikilet

My overnight MBAM scan has also detected 2-3 of those PUP's recently.  I can usually guess when I'll see 1 oe 2 of those things appear in one of my nightly scans.

If I've been surfing a lot during the previous day and have downloaded a few items, MBAM will detect a PUP or two that night.

MBAM has always successfully removed the detected items with an occasional Restart required. 

So far, I've not seen any residual effects after the removal of those PUP's although I have seen the following occur, which I'm guessing isn't unusual regarding the nature of these things....

This happened a few nights ago:  MBAB detected and removed 2 PUP's.  The next night, my overnight scan detected 1 or 2 more PUP's.  MBAM again removed them without incident.

When this happens, I've never seen an ongoing issue with PUP's.  In other words, after the 1st or 2nd nightly scan, MBAM scan results are clear until several months down the road, or a year, until MBAM will detect the same kind of issue with PUP's and subsequently remove the items.

The only type of intrusion or attack that concerns me is if I get hit with the kind of object that eludes AV / MBAM detection with repeated scans in my system and maintains a presence that I'm unaware of and can't see any obvious symptoms of infection.

I'm not sure how common those kind of threats are active in the wild but as far as I know, I've not been hit by that kind of threat during my 9+ years of home 'net experience.

Difficult to say by name alone like that. This is just an element of a much larger product that was probably on your computer at one time.

They're most often adware, tracking, etc type software.

Good to know that about these things.  It's the "stealth" types that I wonder about, if I'll get hit by something that's flying under the radar until a time/date trigger elapses.

From what I've seen so far, they're not as common as the typical "scam" intrusions with fake dialog boxes announcing "doom" unless the user logs into a villainous site and pays for some kind of "fix" for the PC.

Those kind don't bother me as I know Immediately that I've been hit and can take the easy exit ramp out of that matrix with my spare HDD.

I wouldn't be so concerned about a PUP if I could identify WHAT is is.

Difficult to say by name alone like that. This is just an element of a much larger product that was probably on your computer at one time.

They're most often adware, tracking, etc type software.

Why wouldn't MBAM have detected this previously if it was an element of a much larger product that was on my computer at one time? My guess is that it is from something recent and I don't know what that would be.

Thank you for all the answers, but guess I'm still not sure where I stand on this; whether to be worried or not. 

• Root Admin
Why wouldn't MBAM have detected this previously if it was an element of a much larger product that was on my computer at one time?

We update the rules for the database around the clock and it's possible that it was an entry previously missed. McAfee Stinger also detects this as a bad entry.

If you're concerned that there may be something more to this then I would suggest following the advice from the topic here Available Assistance for Possibly Infected Computers and having one of the Experts assist you with looking into your issue.

Thanks